P500 p5 suspension

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
- I'm glad we have like three teams here working on different suspension set up.

- JWB please write a separate thread once you are done testing and have complete product with detailed description for the future generations.

- I will do the same with Walker Evans shocks set up .

- I hope Choo will finalize his set up too. I have few ideas ( may be you should try to angle the shock and weld your mount forward 2-3 inches??))) or use long travel coil over shock like on a pic.

The Buggy Shop

or here this guy did what you are doing now Yoda Pilot A arms

Coil over long travel 2 Arms1

C

Chooglin

There are alot of things I never considered when I started my mod , so it ended up causing problems for me.

I would love to put some long travel shocks on the rear , but that cost money...........I already have to much invested in this already.

I will try out the springs you offered me and if that doesn't give me what I am looking for , the stok shocks will be going back on.

A may mess around with it come spring time , but for now , it's to cold to be out in the garage working

Reactions: solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are alot of things I never considered when I started my mod , so it ended up causing problems for me.

I would love to put some long travel shocks on the rear , but that cost money...........I already have to much invested in this already.

I will try out the springs you offered me and if that doesn't give me what I am looking for , the stok shocks will be going back on.

A may mess around with it come spring time , but for now , it's to cold to be out in the garage working

How about if you get a new 2017 springs on the rear?? Or just go with Jak/Chris and now Solrus :) set on the rear? So you dont have to give up those Progressive rear shocks and just lower spring rate on then and going to Standard springs.

Looks like Jak gave up on this thread :(, I did not see any comment for a while.

C

Chooglin

I don't want to give up the extra 1.00" clearance I would loose with the 17 shocks.

As far as the way you guys are doing it , it's awesome and seems to work well , but I'm not ready to start chopping my machine up just yet !

Reactions: tjolley_382
C

Chooglin

Another thing I am considering is , running a air shock in the rear , along with the stock shock. My setup allows me to run dual shocks. This way I can adjust my ride as needed without worrying about blowing the air shock and being stranded on the trail !

Reactions: solrus
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Reactions: JWB
advertisement
C

Chooglin

For anyone that will be doing the rear shock mod , I have a set of Progressive 425 HD springs for sale.

$275.00 + shipping
20161019 173002

C

Chooglin

I found out that the munroe spring rate is only 45 lbs :(...........so that's a no go !

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I found out that the monroe spring rate is only 45 lbs :(...........so that's a no go !
If you're just looking for more load capacity, the air shocks with the stockers would definitely work. Too bad about the monroes- that load rating must be assuming shocks mounted almost vertically, because the gabriels I'm using had the same load (1100lbs) rating, and y'all see the results. I'm going to be working on mounting the dual gabriels on the rear this weekend- assuming I don't run into any travel or CV binding issues. Do you happen to know how much stroke the rear stockers actually have?

C

Chooglin

If you're just looking for more load capacity, the air shocks with the stockers would definitely work. Too bad about the monroes- that load rating must be assuming shocks mounted almost vertically, because the gabriels I'm using had the same load (1100lbs) rating, and y'all see the results. I'm going to be working on mounting the dual gabriels on the rear this weekend- assuming I don't run into any travel or CV binding issues. Do you happen to know how much stroke the rear stockers actually have?
I have no idea how much stroke they have.

I am just trying to get a little firmer ride , so I figured if I ran the air shocks along with the stock shocks , I should have plenty of adjustment to get the ride I want.

I went ahead and ordered the gabriel air shocks from Summit !

C

Chooglin

@JWB I do know that the progressive 425 shocks only have 2 1/2" of stroke before they hit the bump stop !

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
@JWB I do know that the progressive 425 shocks only have 2 1/2" of stroke before they hit the bump stop !
thanks for the info. The gabriels I'm using have 4.6" of stroke! That's why I gained so much suspension travel in the front. I might be in trouble on the rears...s**t! Extra long stroke won't hurt you, the stockers will still be the limiters.

Reactions: Chooglin
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finilized rear shocks. Chris C check out my spot for muffler bracket, it was my first unsupervised weld on p500 :).
Was trying to cut old top brackets off with grinder, but was suggested to use plasma cutter. It was 2 minutes for all cuts :).

IMG 20161227 183009872
IMG 20161227 192212093
IMG 20161227 192217756
IMG 20161227 201703535
IMG 20161227 202643603
IMG 20161227 202651282
IMG 20161227 213521198
IMG 20161227 213543438

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

advertisement