J

JamieH

Nov 23, 2016
North carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Got my 429's stuck on this week.
Will let ya know how they ride
Did the fronts like everyone else on relocating the bracket, the backs my buddies built an L bracket and mounted on the outside of the rear frame.

IMG 3427 IMG 3434

Reactions: solrus and chrisC
C

Chooglin

How much travel does the rear suspension have now?
I was going to ask the same question, from what I've learned, it's only about 2 1/2" now. Those shocks are almost completely vertical. There going to bottom out very quickly!

J

JamieH

Nov 23, 2016
North carolina
Ownership

1. 500
There is a good possibility they could bottom out .
I didnt want to get too aggressive with the angle as they sit now they will be stout shocks nearly full usage of the weight rating. If i do need to change the angle the bottoms can always be brought out.
Didn't get to ride it much after i picked it up, but i'll let ya know the verdict tomorrow .

Reactions: Chooglin and solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is a good possibility they could bottom out .
I didnt want to get too aggressive with the angle as they sit now they will be stout shocks nearly full usage of the weight rating. If i do need to change the angle the bottoms can always be brought out.
Didn't get to ride it much after i picked it up, but i'll let ya know the verdict tomorrow .

I might test mine set up tomorrow too. I think I should take off chains to be able to go faster.

C

Chooglin

I ordered my air shocks
Gabriel HiJackers Air Shocks 49233

Also ordered the valve , push connector's and schrader valve
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0089VJRP6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483053689&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=1/4"+npt+3+way+t+port+ball+valve&dpPl=1&dpID=41bfDcBFfIL&ref=plSrch

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007FCLPPA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483054236&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=1%2F8"+push+connect&dpPl=1&dpID=41iVuevbP6L&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002V4Q4I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483054370&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX198_SY286_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=1/4"+npt+schrader+valve&dpPl=1&dpID=21NwiSn6RjL&ref=plSrch

Thanks for the idea @JWB

Something I wanted to point out though.
I wanted to be able to fill the shocks thru the valve and also separate the two shocks from each other or allow them to work together (see each other )

So when looking for a valve I had to make sure it was a 3 way "type T port" valve. This will allow me to do all of the above , with just 1 valve

Screenshot 2016 12 28 19 43 58
A "type L" will not allow flow in 3 direction all at once !

I will be putting the schrader valve in 1 port and the push connector's in the two remaining ports !

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tigermark
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I don't believe I ordered a three way valve. :eek:

Reactions: Chooglin
bikeman

bikeman

Nov 23, 2016
smithfield utah
Ownership

1. 500
thanks for the info. The gabriels I'm using have 4.6" of stroke! That's why I gained so much suspension travel in the front. I might be in trouble on the rears...s**t! Extra long stroke won't hurt you, the stockers will still be the limiters.
jwb: does the amount of suspension travel gained on front end appear to put the cvjoints in a bind at the bottom of travel or have you been able to tell yet. i was talking with a friend that has a polaris razor he wore his out he has 10,000 miles on it he put a brand called rhino on which he says has more angleability there by allowing more suspension travel. in the course of the conversation he wonders if by adding the extra suspension travel we are going to have cv joint problems.

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
jwb: does the amount of suspension travel gained on front end appear to put the cvjoints in a bind at the bottom of travel or have you been able to tell yet. i was talking with a friend that has a polaris razor he wore his out he has 10,000 miles on it he put a brand called rhino on which he says has more angleability there by allowing more suspension travel. in the course of the conversation he wonders if by adding the extra suspension travel we are going to have cv joint problems.
Well what good's a CVJ if it can't handle articulation????? Just kidding, a good point you raise!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I don't believe I ordered a three way valve. :eek:
You don't need a 3 way valve. Just put the valve in one leg of the T fill valve. Open the valve to fill both shocks. Close the valve to Isolate, open the valve for articulation. Done.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
No. It's close to binding at FULL extension-(starts at about 1" past the shocks full extension on the front, and that includes with the wheels turned full to left or right) which you will rarely see under normal circumstance, and even less often at full extension under heavy load. At full compression there is no issue at all. So another guy wore out cv joints in 10,000 miles? Ten Thousand Miles..... Now I am getting concerned! I guess I should put the stock shocks back on.:p

Last edited:
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Well boys, I'm at the shop, and I just stuck one of the gabriels in place to see if there are any issues. And again, they are a virtual drop in. Take a look at the pics. Total travel is now 9", with 2" gained in extension (if stock is actually 6") and 1" in compression. The stock shock is still on the right (passenger) side. I'm going to re-check my front travel, as I might have screwed up the numbers, because I suspect that they should be very close, except most of the gain in front is probably in compression. Still a substantial improvement. I should have all four rear shocks mounted and inflated by end of day. We also now know that the REAR shock stroke to suspension travel ratio is very close to 1:2 in stock mount holes ( 1" shock stroke = 2" suspension travel)
DSCN1059
DSCN1060
DSCN1061
DSCN1062
DSCN1064

Last edited:
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I'm making this sound too easy- there are still different bolt and bushing diameter differences to deal with on the rears as well, and they are different than the fronts.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You don't need a 3 way valve. Just put the valve in one leg of the T fill valve. Open the valve to fill both shocks. Close the valve to Isolate, open the valve for articulation. Done.
Oh thank you JWB!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm making this sound too easy- there are still different bolt and bushing diameter differences to deal with on the rears as well, and they are different than the fronts.
Yeah, but still not a bad deal JWB, I'm glad you showed up here with this awesome mod idea. :cool:

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I was just posting a second option for a cleaner install , eliminating the "T" fitting. The valve JTW posted will work just fine !
Oh I know Chooglin, I don't want anybody to feel bad and didn't mean to cause anyone to feel the need to defend themselves, I just didn't remember language from JWB about a two or three way valve and was afraid I'd screwed up in my order. Everything's good here. :)

Reactions: Chooglin
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Here it is- all shocks mounted, aired-up, and took it for a quick ride. 80psi in fronts, 90psi in rears. Very happy with results so far. The rears didn't make as dramatic a ride difference as the fronts, but there is no more sharpness to the ride at all now over small bumps- even with the Sedona Rip-Saw RT's at 9psi. All four corners are isolated with a fill valve for each corner- I still haven't receive all my parts to rig the whole system yet. The pic's with the tape measure are absolute max ground clearance- wouldn't ride it that way for any distance, but it's there if you need it. Ended up using 7/16" X 5.5" bolts top and bottom. Had to bore the bushings and spacers I previously made to fit the larger diameter bolts, but otherwise, no cutting, grinding, or welding was needed to install the rears. I dropped the air pressure to 20psi just to see what it looked like- HA! A slammed Pioneer 500. I should've taken it for a ride. :cool:
DSCN1065 DSCN1066 DSCN1070 DSCN1072 DSCN1076 DSCN1075

advertisement