Status
Not open for further replies.
AKTMW

AKTMW

Oct 25, 2015
Anchorage
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reliability is what concerns me. When the trailhead is 100s of miles from civilization and I'm 40 miles back on the trail, with some very large, steep climbs between me and my truck, I need to have the confidence that my machine will make it out.

Do you guys remember the post I made a while back during hunting season? I got shunned by many in this group (Honda lovers I'd guess), with many saying that it wasn't the machine, it was the operator. Like I eluded too in the post last summer, I don't care what brand it is, so long as it can get me out of the woods. I am starting to notice slipping in 3rd. I am going to bring it into the shop, and see if they will warranty it. If not, I will be on the phone with Honda......again.

J

JTW

Do you guys remember the post I made a while back during hunting season? I got shunned by many in this group (Honda lovers I'd guess), with many saying that it wasn't the machine, it was the operator. Like I eluded too in the post last summer, I don't care what brand it is, so long as it can get me out of the woods. I am starting to notice slipping in 3rd. I am going to bring it into the shop, and see if they will warranty it. If not, I will be on the phone with Honda......again.
Yeah, but when it was only you.. well, that was your fault! :rolleyes:

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm hoping that it is an issue with just early year models.. but if it happens to me, I'll be like a sore d*ck you just couldn't ignore!
Well my first one was early model year and got 1600 out of it solid as day one. This one is considerably later and has multiple problems. People are still having problems and it's not like there was a surplus sitting there. You do the math. What happens when the good will on the 16's ends?
I guess I've had a problem because I've had both. I've been building three Pioneers non-stop for not two years with lots invested. I love the platform obviously but I'm sick of the failure. I'd like to find the issue. Right now I'm driving this as well as anyone here because I'm not wanting to crawl back under it and have experience I'm not talking out my ass going off other people's words from other people.
Again people who say there is no problem tell you how you need to drive it. That's a problem I don't know how to convey myself any clearer.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, most here are Honda lovers, as it should be. I don't recall anything that I thought was negative toward you, and if I did say anything that seemed that way I truly aplogize. There is something to how it's being driven.... BUT... there shouldn't be a way to drive it. I should be able to let anyone jump in and drive it around without instruction. Not sure where you're taking it, and I'm not going to make any suggestions, but I will say I don't trust the Anchorage dealer and they will never, EVER, get my business in the future.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
All I know is you f***ers have me overly contentious with every hiccup, noise and stammer this thing makes!! I'm paying closer attention than a teenage boy trying to impress his hot teacher in bed!!

Ya just wait till your 30 miles out on your third set of clutches in below freezing conditions with your whole family and no cell service or chance of rescue in 2ft of snow without a vehicle following. It makes your heart feel young lol. The pucker factor has been high for us I've never felt like that on a Honda or even a 6 month old Polaris. So what the hell?
Apparently I'm driving it in a way I want to get stranded right? Yep it's me. No. I'm sick of those comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya just wait till your 30 miles out on your third set of clutches in below freezing conditions with your whole family and no cell service or chance of rescue in 2ft of snow without a vehicle following. It makes your heart feel young lol. The pucker factor has been high for us I've never felt like that on a Honda or even a 6 month old Polaris. So what the hell?

Hence the reason I never go out on long rides into BFE without another machine tagging along. To be honest, though, it's stupid to do that here anyway, no matter how much faith you have in the machine. Things break.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hence the reason I never go out on long rides into BFE without another machine tagging along. To be honest, though, it's stupid to do that here anyway, no matter how much faith you have in the machine. Things break.

I agree but if you're careful and watch things you'd normally have good luck on a 6 month old machine. Being careful I'm not normally worried about much.

advertisement
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
@AKRider Same here. Probably why I drive so conservatively to begin with. High consequences when breaking down up here... Sat Phones and Delormes are the norm during hunting season. But the others are right, I eagerly await a true response from Honda. Witnessed one guy with a P1k grenade the trans, sat in the middle
Of nowhere for weeks til he could get it drug out. Honda handled it, but I'm not sure what the real culprit was whether mechanical or otherwise. Two busted tie rods tells me abuse, but what do I know...

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@AKRider Same here. Probably why I drive so conservatively to begin with. High consequences when breaking down up here... Sat Phones and Delormes are the norm during hunting season. But the others are right, I eagerly await a true response from Honda. Witnessed one guy with a P1k grenade the trans, sat in the middle
Of nowhere for weeks til he could get it drug out. Honda handled it, but I'm not sure what the real culprit was whether mechanical or otherwise. Two busted tie rods tells me abuse, but what do I know...

Yeah, busted tied rods says a lot. When I'm way the hell out there I will only take chances when I absolutely need to. Not just with the P1K though. Ive always been that way.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Completely agree, if you trust the machine. There's the issue.

I trust it in every way shape and form minus one. But that one has been a killer. I'm truly embarrassed that I own a 6 month old Honda that I cannot say I fully trust. My only options are deal with it, get yet another one or a 17 and pray Honda takes care of that ,get a 700 or try to trust another brand when all I've ever trusted was Honda. Well I guess I've got too much invested to get this one and in this one so I'll quit b****ing and deal. Rant over. Again my apologies.
Back to work I've got work to do to it tonight.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I trust it in every way shape and form minus one. But that one has been a killer. I'm truly embarrassed that I own a 6 month old Honda that I cannot say I fully trust. My only options are deal with it, get yet another one or a 17 and pray Honda takes care of that ,get a 700 or try to trust another brand when all I've ever trusted was Honda. Well I guess I've got too much invested to get this one and in this one so I'll quit b****ing and deal. Rant over. Again my apologies.

It's all good! Rant away. Hopefully Honda is paying attention. Apprehension about the machine causes low sales. They need to see this stuff.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
You guys got my attention a year ago with the burned up clutches. I'm extra careful and know when the clutch is slipping. I will turn around before I get in a situation where I have to abuse the clutch. When I go alone especially in a remote area I take a small motorcycle with me. It saved me a 10 mile walk one time when a shock shaft broke on my Rhino. My Ranger 900 broke and I had to ride my Suzuki 70 37 miles to get my truck and trailer. Been towed 3 times when a belt broke on my RZR 570, RZR 900, 08 Teryx, and when I had a hot start crankcase explosion on my 570. Got towed when my 06 Rhino lost spark and when the drive shaft sheared out the splines. I just hate it when I have a breakdown and I'm to old to walk very far. I make sure know where I have cell phone coverage too. I carry a knife to cut the seatbelt in a roll over. Two women burned to death in Moab because they couldn't get the seat belt lose. My buddy rolled over and they couldn't get out. I climbed in to release the seat belt. Do a test. Load the seat belt hard and reach back and try to release it. The Honda Sport model will probably be the first UTV to have a 5 point harness stock.

Reactions: sharp and JTW
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I can see having a flat tire or maybe a axle break due to being in a bad bind. But no way would I take a mini bike with me in a 20k dollar new machine because I know that the clutch may go out for no reason in a automatic. Heck that's why I bought the Honda. I tell my friends now that want one to buy one to wait and see how the 2017 model holds up. Now that's bad coming from me.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can see having a flat tire or maybe a axle break due to being in a bad bind. But no way would I take a mini bike with me in a 20k dollar new machine because I know that the clutch may go out for no reason in a automatic. Heck that's why I bought the Honda. I tell my friends now that want one to buy one to wait and see how the 2017 model holds up. Now that's bad coming from me.

I do the same. I also don't lie to people I meet on the trail that are interested in it. I haven't had clutch issues yet and I hope I dont, but I'm not going to lie to people. I am brand loyal, but that only goes so far.

J

JTW

So we're all in agreement... Honda needs to step up and have a fix for ANY owner with clutch issues! I personally would be very impressed if they had a recall for it. We get that there are sometimes problems that come about no matter how much product testing you do. It's a first year model.. ok! I knew that when I bought it but bought late in the year for a reason. I'm not worried about the inconsequential issues like seat heat or the intake location.. they need to be addressed in future production updates but powertrain problems??! Well, you may as well buy a Polaris.. at least you know and are prepared for it to have issues. I bought the Honda because it offered much of what I want in a package that SHOULDN'T let me down. I've sold 3 other 1000-5 in a little over a month because I've been pleased with mine and told people about it. I hope they don't screw this up.. but I swear by Zeus that if I have problems and it's not taken care of by Honda, I will become a festering thorn in their ass!

advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.