Not open for further replies.
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda dealer told me if clutch goes out they will replace it and you get a free oil change to boot. What a deal, so I think I will hang onto my 700. Even looked at a mule fx as reliability is key to me. Not a hiccup out of 3 years of ownership with the 700. I would think they would fix the problem for the 17s.
After all of this, I am doing the same. The 700 just keeps doing all I ask of it without a hiccup. I am afraid there are going to be some more problems like @Eltobgi as the plowing season goes on. I sure hope I am wrong.

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
The 700 uses a true torque converter. It's a true automatic. I had one of the first big reds. Never a problem with it. The DCT is not a new idea. Just new to the ATV world. Honda and many more use it in formal one race cars. And you can bet your butt those clutches don't slip!! It really could be a easy fix if Honda would stop annoying the problem and step up and fix it. Again I say if the 2017 is up to par on the trans the 2016 should follow up with the fix. If the 2017 still burns up clutches Honda will be done with SXS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
After all of this, I am doing the same. The 700 just keeps doing all I ask of it without a hiccup. I am afraid there are going to be some more problems like @Eltobgi as the plowing season goes on. I sure hope I am wrong.
I also hope you are wrong! Needless to say I will let everyone know what the future of plowing for the Beast holds!:cool: Stay tuned:rolleyes:

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
[
The 700 uses a true torque converter. It's a true automatic. I had one of the first big reds. Never a problem with it. The DCT is not a new idea. Just new to the ATV world. Honda and many more use it in formal one race cars. And you can bet your butt those clutches don't slip!! It really could be a easy fix if Honda would stop annoying the problem and step up and fix it. Again I say if the 2017 is up to par on the trans the 2016 should follow up with the fix. If the 2017 still burns up clutches Honda will be done with SXS!

The difference is formula 1 cars don't plow snow, wade around in the mud, rock crawl or pull trailers around. It seems that most of the problems are from slow/low rpm use not wide open riding.

It concerns me as my 1000 only has 30-35 miles on it and I bought it for more utility use than trail riding.

Last edited:
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
[

The difference is formula 1 cars don't plow snow, wade around in the mud, rock crawl or pull trailers around. It seems that most of the problems are from slow/low rpm use now wide open riding.

It concerns me as my 1000 only has 30-35 miles on it and I bought it for more utility use than trail riding.
Formula 1 doesn't slip the clutch taking off either.

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
The pioneer 1000 should not. E able to slip the clutch either if it was set up properly. That's the whole idea behind it being automatic. How can it be rider error? It's manufacture error! Honda has the money and the know how to fix this. I really don't think Honda would build another new model with the cost of $20k that will burn out clutches

J

JTW

The pioneer 1000 should not. E able to slip the clutch either if it was set up properly. That's the whole idea behind it being automatic. How can it be rider error? It's manufacture error! Honda has the money and the know how to fix this. I really don't think Honda would build another new model with the cost of $20k that will burn out clutches

I agree

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Interesting and disappointing developments both for the IGR and the fact that others have shot their clutches as well.:(

Well, my wife and I have agreed that we are keeping the Honda until it has clutch problems. If, hopefully not when, it does, it will get fixed and sold/traded on something else.

advertisement
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
I guess I should be grateful that I have ~1000 trouble free miles... the trail I regularly run to go fish has a very long rocky slow section and it never hiccups. Even loaded down pulling a heavy trailer. Granted it lives in Low most of the time. If a proper upgraded clutch comes out id buy it though, just to have a lower reverse.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Got over 5,000 miles on mine and no problems or complaints. Normally the clutch only slips taking off until about 1,800 rpm and at the gear shifts as the clutches swap. Honda probably sold 10,000 Pioneer 1000 models and very few had a failure and most were slipped when stuck bad in gumbo mud or when driven under 3 mph a lot or have large heavy tires. It does suck to have a failure but most on the forum know how to avoid clutch damage and most use low range. I have a Yamaha YXZ with over 8,500 miles now and no clutch problems but I use my Honda for the tough low speed rides and I can keep it above 3 or 4 mph most of the time. I have to stop a bit on the huge rocks but take off quickly to get above 3 mph. It will be interesting to see if the Sport model uses this engine and clutch packs. It should be a great year with Honda and Yamaha offering models without a belt drive. If I was doing extreme rock crawling and my Pioneer 700 wouldn't do it I would just Suck it Up and buy a Polaris or Can-Am mud machine and I just hate belt drive. I go riding nearly everyday and have had 14 UTV's with the new Honda sport model on order. This was our 118 mile Saturday ride. https://youtu.be/Q78ONyG7ISI Those 2017 Maverick Turbos are a game changer but they cost $30,000 OTD here with sales tax. We run 40 to 65 mph in the sand washes where its safe. AZ has it all from extreme rock crawling to WOT Sand Washes.

Reactions: Plumber32 and JTW
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got over 5,000 miles on mine and no problems or complaints. Normally the clutch only slips taking off until about 1,800 rpm and at the gear shifts as the clutches swap. Honda probably sold 10,000 Pioneer 1000 models and very few had a failure and most were slipped when stuck bad in gumbo mud or when driven under 3 mph a lot or have large heavy tires. It does suck to have a failure but most on the forum know how to avoid clutch damage and most use low range. I have a Yamaha YXZ with over 8,500 miles now and no clutch problems but I use my Honda for the tough low speed rides and I can keep it above 3 or 4 mph most of the time. I have to stop a bit on the huge rocks but take off quickly to get above 3 mph. It will be interesting to see if the Sport model uses this engine and clutch packs. It should be a great year with Honda and Yamaha offering models without a belt drive. If I was doing extreme rock crawling and my Pioneer 700 wouldn't do it I would just Suck it Up and buy a Polaris or Can-Am mud machine and I just hate belt drive. I go riding nearly everyday and have had 14 UTV's with the new Honda sport model on order. This was our 118 mile Saturday ride. https://youtu.be/Q78ONyG7ISI Those 2017 Maverick Turbos are a game changer but they cost $30,000 OTD here with sales tax. We run 40 to 65 mph in the sand washes where its safe. AZ has it all from extreme rock crawling to WOT Sand Washes.

View attachment 31165
You have the Honda sport model on order? How's that work if they haven't announced it yet?

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I have not heard of the sport model. Can you post a pic? Thanks.

Reactions: AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not heard of the sport model. Can you post a pic? Thanks.

I think he's talking about the Talon, but they haven't announced a release date as far as I know.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
So you bought ( ordered ) a new sport model not knowing what motor or transmission is in it?

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I have been looking thru my new $57 dollar service manual at the DCT. It has a valve body like a automatic transmission in a car. Could be something as simple as needing a heavier spring on one of the valves. Honda's research and development should get this problem solved.

advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.