H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The clutches don't slip over 1,800 rpm unless the gears are shifting. When they are worn out of burnt up the engine will rev way up at shifts and its usually the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and reverse clutch pack that slips. A new clutch pack fixes the slipping problem. I doubt there is any problem with the valve body or computer control. For some use it just needs a lower low range and reverse gear.

I'm not willing to wait so I got Dibs on the 1st Honda sport model. I put on the miles and my 3 Polaris models needed lots of major repair to put on 20,000 miles. My 2 Teryx models had a difficult belt change and they needed a new belt every 4,000 miles, I put on 21,000 miles on those. My 2 Rhinos and Wolverine were easy to maintain and my 7 Honda UTV's don't have any rear problems and I still have 4. One 700 needed a gear position sensor and one 500 had some oil seepage that was fixed with a new O-ring, both fixed under the 1 year warranty. My brother or buddies keep buying my Hondas.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's all interesting for sure, I have a serious amount of miles on and in Honda's and they most certainly do have the ability and engineering prowess to solve this problem. However I will admit that on my Gold Wings or in my Accord's I had total confidence in the machines. Need more miles and time in the Pioneer to get that warm and cozy feeling...

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
The clutches don't slip over 1,800 rpm unless the gears are shifting. When they are worn out of burnt up the engine will rev way up at shifts and its usually the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and reverse clutch pack that slips. A new clutch pack fixes the slipping problem. I doubt there is any problem with the valve body or computer control. For some use it just needs a lower low range and reverse gear.

I'm not willing to wait so I got Dibs on the 1st Honda sport model. I put on the miles and my 3 Polaris models needed lots of major repair to put on 20,000 miles. My 2 Teryx models had a difficult belt change and they needed a new belt every 4,000 miles, I put on 21,000 miles on those. My 2 Rhinos and Wolverine were easy to maintain and my 7 Honda UTV's don't have any rear problems and I still have 4. One 700 needed a gear position sensor and one 500 had some oil seepage that was fixed with a new O-ring, both fixed under the 1 year warranty. My brother or buddies keep buying my Hondas.

Your still not saying why the clutches burn out. You did say needs lower gearing. Mine is a stock PK5 stock wheels and tires. So your saying Honda R&D missed the right spot on gearing? If so I would have to disagree with you. As you know they still burn up clutches with the IRG. With mine in low to me it's geared very good to me. You say stay over 3 or 4mph. I use mine to spray fence lines with a sprayer in the heat of Mississippi heat. The Honda should be the work horse of choice with a 1000 size engine. Clutches in no type of machine should ever burn up if it has no clutch slippage that's a fact. In the mud spinning the tires the clutch should not ever slip. At that time the rpms are flying. I think the clutch issue can be fixed fairly simple. As I said before if the 2017 model burns out clutches Honda will drop off the market with SXS. And I am a die hard Honda man. Let's see what Honda does with this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I'd give my left nut to see a Polaris with 20k and a video showing riding style.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why, why, why, didn't Honda stay with the hondamatic tranny? ......you know the older Rubicon ATV full auto/manual tranny. My 04 Rubicon gets beat to death plowing snow and just keeps going.
Same with my 04 Rancher. Got another foot of snow to plow with it tonight.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And this one will be too eventually.. I mean we did buy the first year production. And we all k ow what that means. The test is in how Honda handles it.
That's what I'm hoping. It's still snowing here some. I'm holding off plowing for another hour to see if it stops. All the more fun when it's more snow all at once. I'm just thankful it's the nice fluffy stuff!

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
And this one will be too eventually.. I mean we did buy the first year production. And we all k ow what that means. The test is in how Honda handles it.

Officially it's not a problem now, they are just good willing certain drivers who don't know how to drive the machine correctly...but only certain people. So I guess we'll see.
Still weird because it seems people know how to drive the 500,700 and all previous quads appropriately. Apparently there is a "learning curve " to the 1000 lol

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Officially it's not a problem now, they are just good willing certain drivers who don't know how to drive the machine correctly...but only certain people. So I guess we'll see.
Still weird because it seems people know how to drive the 500,700 and all previous quads appropriately. Apparently there is a "learning curve " to the 1000 lol

Lmao.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Resale value has no concern about a LEARNING CURVE lol

Reactions: AKRider
J

JTW

I'm saying f*** it and driving it normally.. just as I have a will all other ATV's I've had. If it breaks I'll be up their ass. Hopefully it will be in the first year.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm saying f*** it and driving it normally.. just as I have a will all other ATV's I've had. If it breaks I'll be up their ass. Hopefully it will be in the first year.
Exactly.

Reactions: Eltobgi and sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I totally agree with that.

J

JTW

As far as low range vs high range.. sure. There is a little common sense to be used there, but even riding up the creek beds I'm staying in high. I'm probably pushing it a little at times.. but like I say.. if it's going to happen I want it to happen before fall!

advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.