Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Serious question. Why does everyone hate stock shocks?

Do you guys do any racing or hard cornering and need stiffer? I'm willing to bet the farm the Fox shocks won't be any squishier than these.

And I love the shocks in the back. I dont know about the whole Auto leveling stuff, but whatever it is, she doesn't squat under load like the other utvs.
Are you going to get that with the Fox shocks? That Auto leveling magic. Or are you gonna have to just dial up when you have load?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You will have to probably dial your load. I'm not gonna sit here and try to sell you on buying shocks but they absolutely 100% make a difference some say they don't get low speed that's crap too. The only difference between the way the thousand rides in the 700 is the thousand is heavier and bigger so it rides a little better the shocks are no better except for the leveling. Good shocks probably cost 10 times as much money to manufacture lot more time and energy goes in them. The difference is like riding a 78 dirtbike to a brand-new dirtbike. Ask anyone on the forum that has replaced the shocks. Shocks are what makes up your suspension I don't know how people don't understand that. You'll have people say that a slightly different tread pattern tire made a huge difference but yet they don't believe that there is a such thing as a better shock? Anyone that doesn't believe the difference should just ride with someone that has shocks at the takeover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You will have to probably dial your load. I'm not gonna sit here and try to sell you on buying shocks but they absolutely 100% make a difference some say they don't get low speed that's crap too. The only difference between the way the thousand rides in the 700 is the thousand is heavier and bigger so it rides a little better the shocks are no better except for the leveling. Good shocks probably cost 10 times as much money to manufacture lot more time and energy goes in them. The difference is like riding a 78 dirtbike to a brand-new dirtbike. Ask anyone on the forum that has replaced the shocks. Shocks are what makes up your suspension I don't know how people don't understand that. You'll have people say that a slightly different tread pattern tire made a huge difference but yet they don't believe that there is a such thing as a better shock? Anyone that doesn't believe the difference should just ride with someone that has shocks at the takeover

Here's where I don't understand. Obviously the shocks are the suspension. But for a ride to be smoother the shocks need to be softer

Can these Fox shocks or Walker's or anything actually get softer than stock? I'm doubtful, but I'm not calling anyone a liar. To get softer the suspension would bottom faster. To beat that you would need longer travel. So who is gonna be the real MVP and fab some 20 inch shocks on their 1000?

It would be cool if someone could do some kind of a controlled test, but at the end of the day I think that would be impossible. Too many variables, and again I'm not calling anyone out on this, but I think some placebo would be in effect as well. if the 2k shocks performed the same on soft as stock suspension (Fox vs Polaris general) I would be pretty bummed with my investment.

Having said that I rolled my rig. Having a harder shock might have been pretty cool at that second.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Here's where I don't understand. Obviously the shocks are the suspension. But for a ride to be smoother the shocks need to be softer

Can these Fox shocks or Walker's or anything actually get softer than stock? I'm doubtful, but I'm not calling anyone a liar. To get softer the suspension would bottom faster. To beat that you would need longer travel. So who is gonna be the real MVP and fab some 20 inch shocks on their 1000?

It would be cool if someone could do some kind of a controlled test, but at the end of the day I think that would be impossible. Too many variables, and again I'm not calling anyone out on this, but I think some placebo would be in effect as well. if the 2k shocks performed the same on soft as stock suspension (Fox vs Polaris general) I would be pretty bummed with my investment.

Having said that I rolled my rig. Having a harder shock might have been pretty cool at that second.

Aftermarket shocks have different valving in them it's not the same compression all the way through the stroke, at the top more fluid is allowed through so it softer the middle is medium in towards the bottom it doesn't let as much fluid through. foxes on my 700 rode smoother yet they won't bottom out. The springs even on the foxes are variable rate there's a massive amount more fluid in the shock there's more travel there is more spring. It allows the shock not only to be smoother but softer and harder at the same time. You've got a lot less chance of rolling it when the shock is absorbing and at the same time not allowing the suspension to bottom out. The stability goes up the ride goes up the travel goes up everything is better. Now with that said it might not take quite the load that it used to with the self leveler's but it's going to be close. If you go through my pictures you'll see I load the pioneer like no one else and I'm still doing them. It was the single best thing we did to the 700.
By no means am I saying that the foxes are the best aftermarket shocks either I personally like them because I have owned many before and I like the easy adjustability. Parts are easy to come by if needed and local people can work on them at a reasonable rate and that help my decision.
Any of the aftermarket shocks you buy will smoke the factory units there is just no time or energy invested in those factory shocks.

Last edited:
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Elka Stage 5s, and I can tell you, it's like cheating. I can go faster through the same terrain, it increases comfort, gets better traction, I'm able to maintain better gear-clutch-speed ratios, cover ground quicker, etc, etc... I can't speak to the Fox, but my Elkas were the single best upgrade/improvement I've done to my ride... and I've done ALOT!lol They were expensive, but I only plan on building one of these mountain mutt cruisers.
Like @CumminsPusher said, I'm not trying to sell anybody on anything, and everybody has different strokes. I'm just sharing my honest experience.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

Me and @joeymt33 did the test a few weeks ago with the Elkas, Walkers and a stock rig. Its on the supporting member forum. My elkas are quiet a bit stiffer than stock but are a lot smoother than stock. Even slow riding across a ditch catty corner is so much better because of the rebound and wheel/body roll control. Before it would throw you left then right. Now I don't slow down. The valving in the aftermarket shocks are also a lot more variable based on the shaft speed vs stock. I can easily go across my field at 60 feeling safe and smooth where I was at 40 before. Right now with no aftermarket CV's, The stock axles are at there max for wheel travel.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have the Elka Stage 5s, and I can tell you, it's like cheating. I can go faster through the same terrain, it increases comfort, gets better traction, I'm able to maintain better gear-clutch-speed ratios, cover ground quicker, etc, etc... I can't speak to the Fox, but my Elkas were the single best upgrade/improvement I've done to my ride... and I've done ALOT!lol They were expensive, but I only plan on building one of these mountain mutt cruisers.
Like @CumminsPusher said, I'm not trying to sell anybody on anything, and everybody has different strokes. I'm just sharing my honest experience.
@PioneerPete you brought up something I have been thinking about through all this. I know with good shocks you can carry better speed obviously so I am curious how much positive effect this might have on clutches. Seems to me it might bring a little extended life. I know that might be reaching a little bit but is it ?

Reactions: Delton and sharp
Brentc

Brentc

May 8, 2016
SE AK
I can't speak for the p1k but the foxes on the 700 are night and day. I went on an all day ride with a friend with foxes and I was stock went home and order foxes immediately. Oh and thats pretty slow riding to I rarely go above 25mph no need to.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@PioneerPete you brought up something I have been thinking about through all this. I know with good shocks you can carry better speed obviously so I am curious how much positive effect this might have on clutches. Seems to me it might bring a little extended life. I know that might be reaching a little bit but is it ?
yes, its better all around for clutches... you can carry more speed through or up obstacles... like I said above, it gives you better options for speed, rpm, gearing combinations.

advertisement
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
yes, its better all around for clutches... you can carry more speed through or up obstacles... like I said above, it gives you better options for speed, rpm, gearing combinations.
Agreed. You can keep the rig moving instead of stopping and starting trying to be easy going over rocks and ruts.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I was thinking lol. Like I said haven't spent any time with them under the 1000 but very familiar with what they did for the 700.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Off subject but does anyone think maybe the programmer might help clutches???

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Maybe. Joeys felt quiet a bit more responsive down low than mine. It might help in deep mud to get the tires spinning.

I'm thinking possibly same. Damn though kinda hoping you'd say absolutely I promise that so I'd have a reason

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put the Walker Evans on the front and the difference was amazing. I think @snuffnwhisky is onto something. You can definitely keep the rpm's up since you don't need to worry about bottoming out the front end. That's how I blew out one of the stock shocks. Every other reason here is also good.

J

JTW

I put the Walker Evans on the front and the difference was amazing. I think @snuffnwhisky is onto something. You can definitely keep the rpm's up since you don't need to worry about bottoming out the front end. That's how I blew out one of the stock shocks. Every other reason here is also good.
Y'all are going to make me put them
on the front aren't you?

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Y'all are going to make me put them
on the front aren't you?

I can honestly say that @CumminsPusher found the Fox for much cheaper than what I paid for the WE's. But the Fox weren't out at the time and I needed something. If I was doing it now I'd go with the Fox for the price. I looked for WE on eBay and couldn't find any.

advertisement