P1000 Fox shocks...Great deal.

J

JTW

You mean your self leveling?
699? I got some coming for free and so does @Tigermark from a couple other members.
But I was thinking about this shock thing. It seems most of the guys that are adding shocks to their 1000 have the 5 seater. @joeymt33 correct me if it's an equal amount -3 and -5 but I don't think so. Maybe the shocks are different than what's on the -3. I know the rear are "self leveling" on the 5. I wonder if by making them that way Honda gave up some other things like rideability, etc... All these things the 5 owners seem to gain by adding pricey aftermarket shocks. And the geometry with these shocks may put more weight on the front of the 5's causing the "bottoming out" some complain about that doesn't happen to me. Think about it.
Yes.. $699 is what a set of Fox shocks cost. ;)

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I didn't understand the question. What were you asking?
This from above:
But I was thinking about this shock thing. It seems most of the guys that are adding shocks to their 1000 have the 5 seater. @joeymt33 correct me if it's an equal amount -3 and -5 but I don't think so. Maybe the shocks are different than what's on the -3. I know the rear are "self leveling" on the 5. I wonder if by making them that way Honda gave up some other things like rideability, etc... All these things the 5 owners seem to gain by adding pricey aftermarket shocks. And the geometry with these shocks may put more weight on the front of the 5's causing the "bottoming out" some complain about that doesn't happen to me. Think about it.

Reactions: Eltobgi
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Looks like the 3 front shocks have a different part number than the 5 also. Joeys 3 seemed to ride and handle a lot better than my 5 did stock. He did have 6 plys vs my 4s. Almost 200# weight difference between the 3 & 5 also.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You know @drfubar thats a good question. It does seem to be the 5 bottoming out more. Curious if that's conditions and driver or chosen shock for that rig. I was unaware the shocks were different in the nose of the two. Wonder if 5 fronts would be better or worse installed in a 3? We really don't seem to have anyone playing around with the package like the 700 and obviously the 500.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You know @drfubar thats a good question. It does seem to be the 5 bottoming out more. Curious if that's conditions and driver or chosen shock for that rig. I was unaware the shocks were different in the nose of the two. Wonder if 5 fronts would be better or worse installed in a 3? We really don't seem to have anyone playing around with the package like the 700 and obviously the 500.
Doubt if it's the drivers. That would be way too much of a coincidence. I'll bet there is that much difference in the models.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Doubt if it's the drivers. That would be way too much of a coincidence. I'll bet there is that much difference in the models.

You're probably right. I have heard more complaints from the 5 guys. I assumed they were same fronts and that was the issue. If the shocks are truly different then Honda didn't put near enough cushion on the 5. Never ridden with a 3 so I sure can't say much that way but both my 5's hit really hard in the nose enough you cringe some times wondering if you broke something. Could possibly be too that the rear are reacting in a way that it adds to the fronts already weak ability. I really don't mind the rear they haven't been the issue the front is absolutely crap if you drive hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
You're probably right. I have heard more complaints from the 5 guys. I assumed they were same fronts and that was the issue. If the shocks are truly different then Honda didn't put near enough cushion on the 5. Never ridden with a 3 so I sure can't say much that way but both my 5's hit really hard in the nose enough you cringe some times wondering if you broke something. Could possibly be too that the rear are reacting in a way that it adds to the fronts already weak ability. I really don't mind the rear they haven't been the issue the front is absolutely crap if you drive hard

CP, you can get some seat time in ours at Mary's Ridge and provide some feedback on the difference between the p3 and p5 ride and handling.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CP, you can get some seat time in ours at Mary's Ridge and provide some feedback on the difference between the p3 and p5 ride and handling.
Absolutely! I'd like time in a 3. I won't ride other people's equipment like I do mine though

Last edited:
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You may want to think that through. The P3 might be too much machine for him. P5 owners are used to driving a bus and we have the corvettes.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You may want to think that through. The P3 might be too much machine for him. P5 owners are used to driving a bus and we have the corvettes.

Rethink that maybe. Anyone that can drive a bus can surly drive a Vette but not all Vette drivers can drive a bus.
I'm one of the few that actually drives a bus in the woods, my bus has gone where a Vette doesn't want too lol.

Last edited:
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Hell, I'll strap him in the 500 and we can take on the ridge challenge. That will get him sippin some Coors Lite!

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

The change to Fox for me is purely cosmetic! My ride was perfect before with stock shocks, but when running the trails and tearing up the the mud I always felt embarrassed because of the stock black springs on the shocks! Now they will be red and I will be able to enjoy myself more!;)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The change to Fox for me is purely cosmetic! My ride was perfect before with stock shocks, but when running the trails and tearing up the the mud I always felt embarrassed because of the stock black springs on the shocks! Now they will be red and I will be able to enjoy myself more!;)

That's why you did it?? That a lot to be purdy lol

advertisement