P1000 Electrical Help

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
Just ordered everything, including the battery. Now just need a winch, radio, and lights. Thanks for all the input on this

Just ordered everything, including the battery. Now just need a winch, radio, and lights. Thanks for all the input on this
Wish I had something to install all my stuff in. Those lighted switches that obanacreek suggested look really nice. I already have switches, but I may ditch them and order the ones he suggested.

Reactions: ohanacreek
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Wish I had something to install all my stuff in. Those lighted switches that obanacreek suggested look really nice. I already have switches, but I may ditch them and order the ones he suggested.
The switches are next for me. Hopefully they are easy to hook up to this system.

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
The switches are next for me. Hopefully they are easy to hook up to this system.
They look pretty easy. They are wired from two different sources of power. One source causes a light to come on when the ignition comes on like all the instruments on the machine and one source lights another part of the switch when it is used to power whatever device it switches. Looks very professional this way.

Kenjones21

Kenjones21

Jun 23, 2015
Central Louisiana
So when you hook up second battery with an Isolator does the alternator charge the second battery?

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
So when you hook up second battery with an Isolator does the alternator charge the second battery?
Yes, because when the key in on, the relay (isolator) between the two batteries is closed which means the two batteries are acting as one. When the key is off, if you have all your accessories wired to the second battery, you cannot discharge your main battery, because the relay is open. And the two batteries are not connected. That way, when you get ready to go home, your main battery will start your UTV.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I now have everything besides the switches and have a couple of questions before I get started.
Regarding the fuse aux distribution box:
1. There are 5 switched and 5 non switched. Where are you guys connecting your winches? To the switched side so that there is a power switch and a rocker switch for the winch or to the non switched side?
2. Are the non switched fuses always on or does the ignition have to be on?

Regarding the switches from OTRATTW:
1. Do they come pre-wired and ready to hook up or do I have to wire the terminals in the back?
2. I ordered the Dual LED switch and it says it hooks to two power sources. Where do I draw power from for these? I can't picture how or where I'm going to hook in the 5 wires for the independent LED. My one thought is somehow tying the five wires together and running them to a non switched fuse in the AUX distribution box. I know the other five go to the switch wires from the AUX distribution box.

Thanks for any insight.

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
I now have everything besides the switches and have a couple of questions before I get started.
Regarding the fuse aux distribution box:
1. There are 5 switched and 5 non switched. Where are you guys connecting your winches? To the switched side so that there is a power switch and a rocker switch for the winch or to the non switched side?
2. Are the non switched fuses always on or does the ignition have to be on?

Regarding the switches from OTRATTW:
1. Do they come pre-wired and ready to hook up or do I have to wire the terminals in the back?
2. I ordered the Dual LED switch and it says it hooks to two power sources. Where do I draw power from for these? I can't picture how or where I'm going to hook in the 5 wires for the independent LED. My one thought is somehow tying the five wires together and running them to a non switched fuse in the AUX distribution box. I know the other five go to the switch wires from the AUX distribution box.

Thanks for any insight.
My winch is already wired with a switch in the system so all I need is power. I will get that on the second battery. I plan to wire it that way unless someone can tell me how to do it better. As far as the switches, I don't have them, but I understand how they're wired. Each switch has two lights with two power sources, one light to come on when whatever switched accessory is used and one light to come on just when the key is on like all the other lights on the dash. For this side, find something that has power when the key is on and hook to that. Others will have to tell us how that should be fused.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm confused on this fuse block. I wired in my second battery and this fuse block tonight. The "non relay" wires are hot now just like hooking up to a battery. The "accessories" and "switches" are both not hot. Someone explain this to me. The colors don't match up on all the wires so I'm a little confused (Happens easily with electricity). What do you think about the isolator and the fuse box location? I would be worried about the metal frame from the fuse holder possibly touching the battery posts on the isolator except it's mounted to plastic so even if it touches it won't ground correct?

9c926b121117a53f3221938d929e2dcd4800e0b259085eb6f9dde7c82d3d33ca

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What's the part number and where'd you get it? Need to know how the internal buss is designed.

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
I'm confused on this fuse block. I wired in my second battery and this fuse block tonight. The "non relay" wires are hot now just like hooking up to a battery. The "accessories" and "switches" are both not hot. Someone explain this to me. The colors don't match up on all the wires so I'm a little confused (Happens easily with electricity). What do you think about the isolator and the fuse box location? I would be worried about the metal frame from the fuse holder possibly touching the battery posts on the isolator except it's mounted to plastic so even if it touches it won't ground correct?

9c926b121117a53f3221938d929e2dcd4800e0b259085eb6f9dde7c82d3d33ca
Ok, I will attempt this. I don't have my 1000 yet (supposed to be have shipped yesterday and in this week), so I cannot comment on the location of your equipment until I familiarize myself with the real thing. I appreciate the good photography, though. To answer your other question, however, if you hooked up your negative and positive wires of your fuse block to your second battery you will have power on the fused / non relay side of the the block. This is used for accessories that don't require much power. Each of these wires (circuits) are fused inside the block. You have power on the accessory side of the block, but you don't know it because a relay has to be tripped or closed on each circuit on the inside of the block to complete the circuit and provide power to the accessory or device that you want to power. The switches and the accessory wires are color matched. The accessory wire of a particular color goes to the device that you want to run, i.e. lights, horns, radio, etc. The matched switch wire goes to one side of the switch you that you want to control the device. You should wire the other side of the switch to a power source that is controlled by the ignition. The third pole of the switch should be a ground. When you turn the switch on, that completes the circuit and sends power to the relay within the box that causes it to close and provide power to the device that you want on. The purpose of a relay is to control devices that require lots of power. You don't wire devices straight through a small switch without a relay because if the device requires lots of power, it will eventually burn up the switch. Relays are nothing more that very heavy switches that are turned on by smaller switches. Hope this makes sense.

advertisement
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Ok, I will attempt this. I don't have my 1000 yet (supposed to be have shipped yesterday and in this week), so I cannot comment on the location of your equipment until I familiarize myself with the real thing. I appreciate the good photography, though. To answer your other question, however, if you hooked up your negative and positive wires of your fuse block to your second battery you will have power on the fused / non relay side of the the block. This is used for accessories that don't require much power. Each of these wires (circuits) are fused inside the block. You have power on the accessory side of the block, but you don't know it because a relay has to be tripped or closed on each circuit on the inside of the block to complete the circuit and provide power to the accessory or device that you want to power. The switches and the accessory wires are color matched. The accessory wire of a particular color goes to the device that you want to run, i.e. lights, horns, radio, etc. The matched switch wire goes to one side of the switch you that you want to control the device. You should wire the other side of the switch to a power source that is controlled by the ignition. The third pole of the switch should be a ground. When you turn the switch on, that completes the circuit and sends power to the relay within the box that causes it to close and provide power to the device that you want on. The purpose of a relay is to control devices that require lots of power. You don't wire devices straight through a small switch without a relay because if the device requires lots of power, it will eventually burn up the switch. Relays are nothing more that very heavy switches that are turned on by smaller switches. Hope this makes sense.
That is a phenomenal explanation. You filled in the missing pieces for me. I'm just waiting on my switches and will then attempt the install. Thank you for taking the time to explain this.

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
What's the part number and where'd you get it? Need to know how the internal buss is designed.
I think from looking at the pictures, it's the same one you advised me to buy on Ebay. It has six fused circuits and 6 heavy circuits controlled by relays. Nice device.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I think that makes sense. I will give this a shot tomorrow. I have 3 sets of cubes, 1 40" lightbar, a winch (with momentary switch), and a wet sounds soundbar I will be powering right now. The only thing I think that is heavy load would be the 40" light bar. Thoughts?

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
I think that makes sense. I will give this a shot tomorrow. I have 3 sets of cubes, 1 40" lightbar, a winch (with momentary switch), and a wet sounds soundbar I will be powering right now. The only thing I think that is heavy load would be the 40" light bar. Thoughts?
When in doubt, use a relay, especially on devices that require lots of wattage.

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
http://www.waytekwire.com/wps/mypor...MTCEKsBjRSTQDeY4TQg2BVpCQEFBboRBlqlFOgClzOxN/

There are several options and I can't find the original link. They all wire slightly differently. These are just a few of the options available.
It was the Bussman one that a guy builds. If you read my response to the guy's question, please feel free to tell him if I was right or wrong on my advice. You might want to advise him on his wattage question. You have helped me tremendously.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Looks good! I really want/need a sound bar!!

advertisement