P1000 Electrical Help

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
View attachment 7309 View attachment 7310 Nice switches Ohonacreek they are what was in my 700 and are slowly going in the 1000. I'm running only two in the upper with stereo and voltage then the lower cubby I'm building a panel to run 6-7 down there.
I usually use the small, round, red lighted switches. I make an aluminum plate that will hold the switches and mount it on the bottom of the dash somewhere. I like the switches Ohanacreek used. Are they Honda switches?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I usually use the small, round, red lighted switches. I make an aluminum plate that will hold the switches and mount it on the bottom of the dash somewhere. I like the switches Ohanacreek used. Are they Honda switches?

OTRATTW is where I get my switches.
OTRATTW is an acronym for OverTheRoadAndThroughTheWoods

You can get more than just on/off switches from them.
You can get SPST, SPDT, DPST, DPDT, lighted in multiple colors, or not at all and custom rockers that say whatever you want them to say.

On/off, on/off/on, (on)/off, (on)/off/(on)
(On) is momentary good for horns or in the case of a SPDT you could do winch in/out like I did.

They have panel sockets and wiring accessories.
They even have a smart switch panel that reduces the amount of wire that goes to wherever your panel is going to be, pointless for a Pioneer because you have plenty of room to run the wire but great for Jeeps or other vehicles where 20 wires would be impossible to run through a tiny hole somewhere.

Customer service is top notch.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
eBay ARB or Carling rocker switch. They are waterproof and lit up. A second light comes on when it's on. They have hundreds of different sayings on them usually around 15$. Also you can get the plugs for them and all kinds of mounting options

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
OTRATTW is where I get my switches.
OTRATTW is an acronym for OverTheRoadAndThroughTheWoods

You can get more than just on/off switches from them.
You can get SPST, SPDT, DPST, DPDT, lighted in multiple colors, or not at all and custom rockers that say whatever you want them to say.

On/off, on/off/on, (on)/off, (on)/off/(on)
(On) is momentary good for horns or in the case of a SPDT you could do winch in/out like I did.

They have panel sockets and wiring accessories.
They even have a smart switch panel that reduces the amount of wire that goes to wherever your panel is going to be, pointless for a Pioneer because you have plenty of room to run the wire but great for Jeeps or other vehicles where 20 wires would be impossible to run through a tiny hole somewhere.

Customer service is top notch.
Thanks for the info; I'll check out the site.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Lot better pricing on the site Ohanacreek mentioned! I've gotten screwed on my switches damn!! Good info there lol

Last edited by a moderator:
brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Ohana is right. I have used up the river and well you know several times they are helpful and have alwAys shipped my orders quickly. they have good products, prices and service you cant go wrong with otrattw.

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Also if you ever need any led lights oznium.com has a good selection and theyre customer service is great. I had an led go bad on my 700 after just installing it. They sent me a new one no questions asked. Awesome

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The switches are the exact same switches I have and 95% of the time eBay is absolutely incredible on prices but this time they weren't:-(

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I'm new to all the accessory stuff. I'd like to do a radio, lights, winch, etc... I like how all of this sounds but fear I would get all the parts and not know where to begin. Any good sites you could recommend that would help me understand? I know I could handle the install stuff, but need to know what goes where and why. Hope that makes sense.

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
I'm new to all the accessory stuff. I'd like to do a radio, lights, winch, etc... I like how all of this sounds but fear I would get all the parts and not know where to begin. Any good sites you could recommend that would help me understand? I know I could handle the install stuff, but need to know what goes where and why. Hope that makes sense.
I'm pretty new at it, too. I can do basic wiring, but this site and thread has helped me a bunch. The battery, the relay between the two batteries, and the relay box are great ideas. I watch the web for my equipment. I get marine stuff when I can (radios, speakers, etc. ). As far as installing, you put the stuff where you can,hopefully in a dry area in the top of the side by side. I did have my radio in a waterproof Tupperware box down low which worked ok. Little hard and tight to wire up. I'm putting everything in the top of my new Honda because it will fit. I put additional LED lights on the front and back of my previous side by side and I will reinstall them on the new one. I do a whole bunch of night riding, so the additional lights really help. Basically, the best advice I can give you is just experiment and try and keep things dry and out of the dust.

Reactions: mattmed03
advertisement
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I'm pretty new at it, too. I can do basic wiring, but this site and thread has helped me a bunch. The battery, the relay between the two batteries, and the relay box are great ideas. I watch the web for my equipment. I get marine stuff when I can (radios, speakers, etc. ). As far as installing, you put the stuff where you can,hopefully in a dry area in the top of the side by side. I did have my radio in a waterproof Tupperware box down low which worked ok. Little hard and tight to wire up. I'm putting everything in the top of my new Honda because it will fit. I put additional LED lights on the front and back of my previous side by side and I will reinstall them on the new one. I do a whole bunch of night riding, so the additional lights really help. Basically, the best advice I can give you is just experiment and try and keep things dry and out of the dust.
Thank you for this. I'm really most concerned with the wiring and switches etc.... On previous machines I just installed a winch and it went straight to the battery. Since I'm planning more for the 1000, I want to do it right.
So I guess I need to know where to start with the second battery install and the fuses/switches. Once I get that set, installing the accessories should be easy(ish) I will order the AGM battery as my second. And I know I need the isolator. But what do I need to purchase to hook the accessories to? (This is where I need a better understanding of how all of this works.)

Overall, I only plan on needing 6 switches but wouldn't mind having the capability of going to 10.

Finally, is there a specific switch type for the winch? Lights and radio can be on/off but how are winches done? Is there one for on/off and then the rocker for in/out?

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate the help.

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
Thank you for this. I'm really most concerned with the wiring and switches etc.... On previous machines I just installed a winch and it went straight to the battery. Since I'm planning more for the 1000, I want to do it right.
So I guess I need to know where to start with the second battery install and the fuses/switches. Once I get that set, installing the accessories should be easy(ish) I will order the AGM battery as my second. And I know I need the isolator. But what do I need to purchase to hook the accessories to? (This is where I need a better understanding of how all of this works.)

Overall, I only plan on needing 6 switches but wouldn't mind having the capability of going to 10.

Finally, is there a specific switch type for the winch? Lights and radio can be on/off but how are winches done? Is there one for on/off and then the rocker for in/out?

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate the help.[/QU

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate the help.
Go back to the very beginning of this thread and take a look at the pictures of the battery, the 80 amp relay between the two batteries, and finally the relay/ fuse box. This box has six relays and six fused power leads for accessories that don't require switches. I found everything either on Amazon or EBay. That's the equipment I have ordered so far and I don't even have my 1000 yet. There's plenty of room under the hood for all this. As far as switches, I ordered round, red, lighted switches for my lights, radio, etc. The winch switch came with the winch, so I just used it. When I wired my previous side by side, a Razr, I just used one battery and ran a hot wire to a bar and mounted it under the dash. I did the same for a ground from the battery and the same for switched power from the ignition switch. I then wired everything to those bars. I used separate relays and mounted them under there, also. It looked like a rat's nest when I finished. Using the equipment suggested on this thread should be much better and neater. I may order new switches from the business that was identified on the thread, but I want to wait on that until I actually have the machine. You can order switches that have labels which identify what they control. To get to the beginning of this thread, you need to go to the general pioneer 1000 discussion and then go to the electrical help thread. I hope this helps, and please feel free to ask questions. It helps all of us novices.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
This helps immensely. I will order the isolator and fuse box and see what I have when it comes. It will probably make a lot more sense when I have it in my hands. I don't have any of my accessories yet as there is no winch mounting plate other than the $300 one from Honda. Thanks again

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
This helps immensely. I will order the isolator and fuse box and see what I have when it comes. It will probably make a lot more sense when I have it in my hands. I don't have any of my accessories yet as there is no winch mounting plate other than the $300 one from Honda. Thanks again
I should have my stuff tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Here's the battery in. Just had to make a simple strap. The back hole needs to be pretty close to the battery as there isn't much room behind it due to a wiring loom. It would be tough to get the nuts on the back side so I used plastic pop clips similar to the body clips but they will work great and easy to pull back out. The battery fits so good it wouldn't be necessary for everyone unless you plan on riding pretty hard.p.s. Battery goes sideways but no worries as its agm.
The fuse box had to be "adjusted a bit but goes in very nicely where you have great access. Battery isolater goes anywhere.

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
Here's the battery in. Just had to make a simple strap. The back hole needs to be pretty close to the battery as there isn't much room behind it due to a wiring loom. It would be tough to get the nuts on the back side so I used plastic pop clips similar to the body clips but they will work great and easy to pull back out. The battery fits so good it wouldn't be necessary for everyone unless you plan on riding pretty hard.p.s. Battery goes sideways but no worries as its agm. View attachment 7682 View attachment 7683 View attachment 7684 The fuse box had to be "adjusted a bit but goes in very nicely where you have great access. Battery isolater goes anywhere.
Hey, this looks great. I got my stuff in today; I'd be in business if I had my 1000! It supposedly shipped yesterday. Thanks again for your help

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Absolutely:) it all fits nicely

Reactions: dotman1
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Now I get it (I think). Guess I'm a visual learner. Looks nice and clean. Nice job

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
View attachment 7200 View attachment 7201
Absolutely no problem I'm glad you found it useful it does work out really nice this way I've been in the automotive industry for years and 90% of the time this when I see electrical problems on a rig it's because someone install something that went haywire i'm pretty good at wiring but at the same time I don't like tapping into factory stock it never worked out quite as well as you would hope. What's on this rig it's a great little spot for the battery that doesn't take up any room gives you full access to everything and you'll never have a dead battery :) if you have lots of accessories this setup is the one I chose. It keeps thins very clean fully water proof has 5 relays 10 fuses is totally wired so super easy very nice setup looked long time. Honda set is only 4 dedicated switches this is better and 10. Little more work but again never a dead battery and pretty easy at 1/4 the cash:)
Got all the equipment in that you suggested and it looks like a dream to wire compared to what I was using. Waiting on the machine to install it now. Thanks again for all your help.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Just ordered everything, including the battery. Now just need a winch, radio, and lights. Thanks for all the input on this

advertisement