P1000 Clutches burnt up

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I bought lighter weight oil to test the theory of oil pressure based on the weight but haven't been brave enough to put it in the machine yet.. with dealer's 10-40 it started the problem when I put Honda 10-30 it might have been wishful thinking but seemed to act a little better in hotter weather. The book says you can put 10-20 in it what are yalls thoughts.
i don't think any of that is going to matter if u have a clutch problem u have a clutch problem weight of oil isn't going to be the deciding factor.

Reactions: Eltobgi and adnoh
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Without knowing the cause of the clutch failure the "what ifs" are only limited by the imagination.
Yes this makes sense but I was refering to Jackals list of clutch failures and if he and Hondasxs have noticed an uptick or leveling off of complaints considering the vast territory the northern riders have access to now that snowmobile season is done. I certainly hope no one complains just because it flips their minnow, thus contributing to "what ifs" and imaginations.

Reactions: Hondasxs
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone know if these clutch packs are supposed to be soaked in oil prior to installation? Or are the fiber discs presoaked before they are assembled? When dealers are replacing clutch packs, I assume it is a whole unit (basket, fibers, steels, springs, etc.), or are they just replacing the guts?

I ask because I have always heard that soaking wet clutches before assembly was critical. Long shot, just throwing a possibility out there.

Waylan

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
we used to always soak the clutches now we just dip them and install!! clutches are only going to absorb a little oil then stop!! I know plenty of guys that install them dry and just give them a coup;e miles to absorb oil before tearing into them! I can tell u it really doesn't matter if u dip them or soak them from hundreds of clutch packs installed and tried personally but someone will argue u have to!!! they are only going to be replacing the guts unless something is wrong with the baskets then....

Reactions: dotman1 and Hawk53
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
they are only going to be replacing the guts unless something is wrong with the baskets then....

On the schematics it looks like you purchase the whole unit pre-assembled (basket, discs, etc. etc.). It would be nice to see some pics of what gets sent back for warranty - the whole clutch or just the innards.

Waylan

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
On the schematics it looks like you purchase the whole unit pre-assembled (basket, discs, etc. etc.). It would be nice to see some pics of what gets sent back for warranty - the whole clutch or just the innards.

Waylan
If mine goes bad we will know a lot mire cause I will be going over everything that comes out and everything that goes in!!!! get some answers!!

Reactions: joeymt33
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Honda has approved the replacement on my clutch pack and a further inspection (teardown) of my sub-transmission (wouldn't stay in Low Range, at all even after dealer adjusted cable.) as of today. So at least there is some progression in the process, dropped it off 18 days ago seemed a bit long for a diagnosis with all the info I provided and, not being the first or it's kind issue but that's the way it goes I guess. Will just be happy to have it back once repairs are finished.

R

ratsnake

Mar 14, 2016
Alabama
Honda has approved the replacement on my clutch pack and a further inspection (teardown) of my sub-transmission (wouldn't stay in Low Range, at all even after dealer adjusted cable.) as of today. So at lest there is some progression in the process, dropped it off 18 days ago seemed a bit long for a diagnosis with all the info I provided and, not being the first or it's kind issue but that's the way it goes I guess. Will just be happy to have it back once repairs are finished.
Same here Honda approved replacement but there on backorder suppose to overnight as soon as they receive them. also said they are aware or problems with the clutches thats why there replacing them under warranty. I ask what was causing and what to say it wont happen again to which both said they didn't know just that the warranty will be the same

Last edited:
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes this makes sense but I was refering to Jackals list of clutch failures and if he and Hondasxs have noticed an uptick or leveling off of complaints considering the vast territory the northern riders have access to now that snowmobile season is done. I certainly hope no one complains just because it flips their minnow, thus contributing to "what ifs" and imaginations.
Sorry for the confusion Stauvo, but my post wasn't intended to be referring to your post. I was just making a general statement referring to all the thoughts about why the clutches are failing. I did understand what you were asking. Sorry for the confusion .

Reactions: Stauvo
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry for the confusion Stauvo, but my post wasn't intended to be referring to your post. I was just making a general statement referring to all the thoughts about why the clutches are failing. I did understand what you were asking. Sorry for the confusion .
It's ok. Lol. It did seem rather off the wall but i should have clarified myself.

Cheers!

advertisement
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
@JACKAL Same here buddy. 3 weeks and counting at the dealership. Approved and ready to go. Waiting on parts. Yay. Also have another in there with me waiting as well

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
When I talked to Honda corporate they made reference to clutch parts coming in Monday (28th) and they would start overnighting to the dealers. I'm hoping that means I will be riding this weekend.... Mine has been at the dealer since February 19th. Brought it home overnight when the ground didn't fix my problem.

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
I was at my dealership yesterday getting my seat looked at for warranty, and inquired about 1000's with clutch issues. They said they had 1, but suspected the clutch had been run dry as the owner had smoked the oil pan. After replacing oil pan, he was having clutch issues in 1st. They did a couple oil changes on it, and seems to have cleared up. Also mentioned they had the grounding issue with that one as well. Said if they torqued it to spec, a few of the grounds weren't connecting, they had to over-torque it to fix the issue, he suspected a piece of slag or something on one of the grounds was requiring extra force to ensure a good electrical connection with everything. Also he mentioned they'd sold about 10 of em, so one could infer a 10% failure rate from that particular dealer. He also said they'd seen a few other small build quality issues, to be expected on a MY1 product.

Reactions: DTAGG
itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
Kelly my case worker from Honda corporate started back peddling on what she told me about my parts being that Honda corporate Monday (28th) and they would overnight clutch parts to my dealer Wednesday. Long story short getting pissed that my SXS is sitting at the dealer and I'm still paying for it and to have her tell me this is a wear part that isn't normally covered under warranty and Honda is doing me a favor by replacing it makes me even more pissed off when I bought it January 9. I brought it to the dealer to fix my shifting concerns February 19th with 280 miles on and haven't seen my SXS since.

I feel like I'm getting screwed! Honda could at least offer to make a month's payment or pay half of extended warranty.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Kelly my case worker from Honda corporate started back peddling on what she told me about my parts being that Honda corporate Monday (28th) and they would overnight clutch parts to my dealer Wednesday. Long story short getting pissed that my SXS is sitting at the dealer and I'm still paying for it and to have her tell me this is a wear part that isn't normally covered under warranty and Honda is doing me a favor by replacing it makes me even more pissed off when I bought it January 9. I brought it to the dealer to fix my shifting concerns February 19th with 280 miles on and haven't seen my SXS since.

I feel like I'm getting screwed! Honda could at least offer to make a month's payment or pay half of extended warranty.

I agree, I'd be jumping up and down on the dealership owners desk.... Well, someone mentioned earlier that starting a paper trail and being more civilized is probably the better thing to do.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I agree, I'd be jumping up and down on the dealership owners desk.... Well, someone mentioned earlier that starting a paper trail and being more civilized is probably the better thing to do.
It costs nothing to be nice. Be insistent but professional with people, they can only do what they can do. Needless venting on the messenger will not get you anywhere faster.

In response to an earlier post I know of no "new" issues at least that I saw so what is on the list is it with 3 or 4 of us waiting on parts. (clutch packs).

Reactions: dotman1 and Stauvo
McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
Does anybody know the cost to replace the clutches? Parts and labour. I thought I read on here the parts were $800. Just curious because if they are classing it as a wear item and not warranty then what happens if your clutches go after a year? I mean it's not like changing a $130 belt. Has anyone with issues asked Honda what the life expectancy is on the clutches?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Does anybody know the cost to replace the clutches? Parts and labour. I thought I read on here the parts were $800. Just curious because if they are classing it as a wear item and not warranty then what happens if your clutches go after a year? I mean it's not like changing a $130 belt. Has anyone with issues asked Honda what the life expectancy is on the clutches?

At this point I would take that "alleged" statement with a few large grains of salt. It "may" be a wear item but of the many Hondas (20+) I have owned none ever needed a clutch replaced outside of a heavily modified ATC 250R. I had a TRX300 that pulled a 42' spray unit with a 150 gal tank across fields, needles to say that load (with spray tank full) exceeded what the P1K is rated for (2000 lbs.) on an air cooled 300cc single cylinder engine. I covered over 40,000 acres with that machine in 3 years and though it struggled it NEVER failed. That first hand experience won me over forever on durability, no way we expected that machine to last more than one year.

But to your question the clutch assembly is part # 22500-HL4-003 and at RMATV it sells for $303.33 per unit and it takes TWO so $607 for that plus gaskets etc. MSRP is $379.16 each. Don't drop / break the Primary Driven Gear (81T) Part [HASHTAG]# 131179045640[/HASHTAG] the clutches attach to is $512 MSRP. :confused:

Reactions: Stauvo and PineTree
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
We haven't heard of any posts in awhile on this "clutches" problem. Are we to assume they are all getting fixed and no new failures? I hope so. sure do love this site. And what a great machine.
Mine has been at the dealer since Monday. They told me they were working with Honda on the issue and they would call when it's done. I'm hoping that's all there is to it. Seems simple: faulty part, fixed under warranty without giving me a hard time, return in proper working order. This is what I expect from the dealer and from Honda. We will see how that turns out...

advertisement