P1000 Clutches burnt up

H

Honda300

Mar 22, 2016
Fort mcmurray , alberta
I think the fear of the possibility drives it.
ya I have that bit of fear with the transmission problem. bought a Polaris rzr 1000 had nothing but problems with that. It had 400 k on it broke an axle which was no biggy it had an old break already. then got in to wiring issues battery would not stay up while driving it. put in new battery and did the same. started blowing relays steady. it was un going issues so had to get rid of that. always had a Honda growing up had a 300 with about 100 000 k on it and never put a wrench to the motor. have a 500 Forman now with 6000 k no problem s so excited about the 1000 out but don't want to end up having issues with that. Honda makes awesome machines but it's still in the back of my mind with that piece of crap Polaris troubles

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyways. Reading through the service manual some tonight.
Figured I would post for those who are interested.

The clutch is controlled by oil pressure that runs down the shaft and into the clutches. Inside the clutch cage is a piston that when filled with oil, will compress the clutches causing them to engage. The pressure is controlled by the oil pump which runs through the valve body. Valves open and close directing pressure to the appropriate area. Ex. clutch 1 or 2. Valves are ultimately controled by the PCM which has the job of computing the proper gear for the current situation based on 2 dozen sensors around the unit.

Some areas of concern.
With the 700 line we have seen debris clog the valve system causing it to stay stuck in gear or not engage at all. In theory, this same issue could happen with the 1000 causing low pressure or other issues. Low pressure would mean a less than fully engaged clutch and that would lead to slipping.

Long to short. The final culprit could wind up to not be the clutch and more like a faulty oil pump, pressure valve, sensor, valve system, or stuck solenoid.

So in theory, if you want a more robust clutch. You need to up the oil pressure.
Who wants to give this a go?

Some have said a thicker oil will do this, I think that is far from the case as that would only increase lag time with the distance and small openings the oil needs to pass in a timely fashion.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info. From what I have been hearing it is just the 1-3-5 clutch that is failing ,is that not correct. If that is so I would suspect that the pump is OK or the 2-4-6 would be failing also. Maybe restricted passage,leaking sealing rings,or some other sort of pressure loss in that circuit.???

Reactions: dotman1
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks for the info. From what I have been hearing it is just the 1-3-5 clutch that is failing ,is that not correct. If that is so I would suspect that the pump is OK or the 2-4-6 would be failing also. Maybe restricted passage,leaking sealing rings,or some other sort of pressure loss in that circuit.???
Yep...
Sounds right. We may never know the true cause.

Word is clutch pack 1 had an assembly issue with the friction plates.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does the actuator look like it is using centrifical force?
I wish! No it uses solenoids that are I assume ECU controlled. I've been wrenching on Jap machinery for well over 20 years and I'm totally lost here. Haven't had time to sit down and study manual yet. It'll take someone smarter than me to figure this thing out lol

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
ya I have that bit of fear with the transmission problem. bought a Polaris rzr 1000 had nothing but problems with that. It had 400 k on it broke an axle which was no biggy it had an old break already. then got in to wiring issues battery would not stay up while driving it. put in new battery and did the same. started blowing relays steady. it was un going issues so had to get rid of that. always had a Honda growing up had a 300 with about 100 000 k on it and never put a wrench to the motor. have a 500 Forman now with 6000 k no problem s so excited about the 1000 out but don't want to end up having issues with that. Honda makes awesome machines but it's still in the back of my mind with that piece of crap Polaris troubles View attachment 12606
Where was that picture taken ?

P1k5d_rg

P1k5d_rg

Mar 22, 2016
West, Tx
Yep...

I bought lighter weight oil to test the theory of oil pressure based on the weight but haven't been brave enough to put it in the machine yet.. with dealer's 10-40 it started the problem when I put Honda 10-30 it might have been wishful thinking but seemed to act a little better in hotter weather. The book says you can put 10-20 in it what are yalls thoughts.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Idk. Give it a try.
Can't really hurt anything. If u have a bad clutch set it's going to go sooner then later.
Interested in your findings!

advertisement
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You shouldn't have to worry about getting towed back either lol. The clutch issues haven't stranded anyone yet. Are any issues for that matter haven't stranded anyone.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep...

Since the clutch packs are the same part number, an assembly issue with clutch pack 1 doesn't really add up to me. Now maybe there could be clutch pack assembly issues, and it just shows up on the 1, 3, 5, R clutch pack because that one is subjected to more slippage from 1 & R?

Waylan

Reactions: educ8tedguess
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Since the clutch packs are the same part number, an assembly issue with clutch pack 1 doesn't really add up to me. Now maybe there could be clutch pack assembly issues, and it just shows up on the 1, 3, 5, R clutch pack because that one is subjected to more slippage from 1 & R?

Waylan
Think of it more like this. Remember we are most likely in a assembly line!
This week on Joe Blows shift he has to build 100 clutches packs. He bins them ready for install. Going through install... station 36 installs clutch 2 from Sally's clutch bin. (Sally built hers right). Station 37 installs clutch 1 from Joe's bin. Now we have 100 units with Joe Blows clutch pack build.

Reactions: pct and CashMoney
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Think of it more like this. Remember we are most likely in a assembly line!
This week on Joe Blows shift he has to build 100 clutches packs. He bins them ready for install. Going through install... station 36 installs clutch 2 from Sally's clutch bin. (Sally built hers right). Station 37 installs clutch 1 from Joe's bin. Now we have 100 units with Joe Blows clutch pack build.

I was just saying I don't believe it is a "clutch pack 1" issue. All the clutch packs are the same part number.

Waylan

Reactions: Hawk53
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Someone, somewhere built them. What if only 100 were built wrong all installed in clutch 1 location.

I understand what u saying. If those 100 had been installed in clutch 2 location then clutch 2 would have been the problem.

Whatever it is. I'm sure Honda has fixed it.

J

jokerperry

Nov 16, 2015
Alberta Canada
View attachment 12664
north of fort mcmurray up to the athabasca riding dunes awesome ride up there lovely country. nice camp sites and lakes. this is why I want to get the 1000- 5 so I know I will get there and back lol.
I haven't been up there in a couple years but would like to take mine up there this summer. A group of guys from work flew over the dunes going fishing in Lake Atabasca was pretty cool.

Reactions: Honda300 and Hawk53
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 12664
north of fort mcmurray up to the athabasca riding dunes awesome ride up there lovely country. nice camp sites and lakes. this is why I want to get the 1000- 5 so I know I will get there and back lol.
That's what I was wondering? And thought possibly.
May see you on the trail some time.

Reactions: Honda300
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Someone, somewhere built them. What if only 100 were built wrong all installed in clutch 1 location.

I understand what u saying. If those 100 had been installed in clutch 2 location then clutch 2 would have been the problem.

Whatever it is. I'm sure Honda has fixed it.

Hi HondaSxS,

With the northern riders out in motion now, are you and Jackal getting any sense of a decrease in clutch pack complaints?

advertisement