P1000 Clutches burnt up

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
He said its under the driver seat in an awkward spot he'll show me when I pick it up. But it fixed all my issues he said I also had a power steering light flickering.
If you look where the safety belt comes up though the drivers seat and move the rubber to the side you can see it. This is what was wrong with mine. Only had 42 miles. Now have about 200 without problems since they tightened the ground. Hope it stays that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: JACKAL
R

ratsnake

Mar 14, 2016
Alabama
Changed my oil for first time today no burn smell oil looked good for break in no debris in large filter at all a few minute particles in small filter.
I tried to reset the maintenance minder. I got the wrench off but wrench 1 came on immediately reset again wrench 2 reset again wrench 1 again. Can someone tell me how to reset this crazy thing. No clutch issues are any other failures knock on wood. My frame last 4 #s is 1809.Thanks in advance for help on reset.
Dealer called today there talking with Honda when I took it in I believe they changed fluids but not different. Said they had to check what ever Honda said first got a ride this weekend and it sucks not knowing if I got my brand new ride ready to go. I hope it works out. Any of you others that had problems had anything worked out yet ?

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Has there been any bad clutches in the P1000-3 EPS? They came out after the deluxe five seater and also are lighter. Anyone?

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Just changed my oil at first oil change 20 hrs I was wondering if anyone knows if the oil that comes in it is break in oil or not?

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
Dealer called today...Honda rep was there today so they are going to change both clutch packs. Not sure if the part has changed #'s but it is on backorder. Hopefully I get it back before April 1st so I can go to mud muckers ride.

Reactions: pct and JACKAL
R

Rippinnrarrin

Mar 17, 2016
Waycross
Had my machine for a month with stock tires, around 200 miles and the clutch is slipping in 3 gears and pulsing in reverse , love this machine but very disappointed there having this problem.they don't fix this problem this will be the fall of the Pioneer 1000s .

Last edited:
Reactions: vince
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Dealer called today...Honda rep was there today so they are going to change both clutch packs. Not sure if the part has changed #'s but it is on backorder. Hopefully I get it back before April 1st so I can go to mud muckers ride.

I dropped mine off a week ago tomorrow, Honda still hasn't approved anything except get info from computer logs from the machine. I really want to get it back by April 7th for the forum ride. But the dealership had been responsive and kept me in the loop thus far, just moving a tad slower than I anticipated. I don't expect it to be finished but with 3 videos and in person demonstration of what it is doing I do not know how much more info needs to be gathered. More is lost through indecision than no decision.

R

ratsnake

Mar 14, 2016
Alabama
I dropped mine off a week ago tomorrow, Honda still hasn't done anything except get info from computer logs from the machine. I really want to get it back by April 7th for the forum ride. But the dealership had been responsive and kept me in the loop thus far, just moving a tad slower than I anticipated. I don't expect it to be finished but with 3 videos and in person demonstration of what it is doing I do not know how much more info needs to be gathered. More is lost through indecision than no decision.
I Am still waiting on Honda also feel like I m get the run around at the dealership they sure need to step up.

itsleo

itsleo

Apr 25, 2015
Palm Bay, Florida
I dropped mine off a week ago tomorrow, Honda still hasn't done anything except get info from computer logs from the machine. I really want to get it back by April 7th for the forum ride. But the dealership had been responsive and kept me in the loop thus far, just moving a tad slower than I anticipated. I don't expect it to be finished but with 3 videos and in person demonstration of what it is doing I do not know how much more info needs to be gathered. More is lost through indecision than no decision.

Here is what I do know... My dealer called Honda with me there on speaker and Honda tech help is having them do testing not just replacing parts until they do Honda's tech help testing. Which I under stand new product line they are controlling there troubleshooting process to verify repaired correctly and what they did to correct the concern and keep warranty cost down. Every dealer I worked at did the same thing. The manufacturer have the control not the dealers.

My dealer was told to hook up there scan tool and drive it so they can do screen shoots of the oil pressures when driving to see the pressures when shifting gears. 2 days later (yesterday) they called to let me know that a Honda Rep came by to give them the go ahead to replace both clutch packs under warranty. Not sure if there scanner can do screen shoots like the ford and dodge scanners do, but I will find out here real soon. Hopefully all goes good and I'm back to normal operation. Keep you guys posted!!!

advertisement
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Add mine to the burnt clutch list. 66 miles on it.
Sorry to hear about this. Sounds like we're up to 10 or 12 first person accounts of burnt clutches here on the forum.
Can you provide any detail of when/how it happened? Reversing up a hill? Stuck in the mud? Etc...
Please keep us posted on your dealer warranty service experience.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Sorry to hear about this. Sounds like we're up to 10 or 12 first person accounts of burnt clutches here on the forum.
Can you provide any detail of when/how it happened? Reversing up a hill? Stuck in the mud? Etc...
Please keep us posted on your dealer warranty service experience.

No mud but some pretty good long climbs with 4 grown men in it. I made it a point to not lug the engine or run super slow in the clutch zone. Just noticed more shuddering when starting out and revving high shifting to 3rd and 5th. So, it wasn't being abused or even really pushed. I need to be able to go slow in some spots as not to use it as a rock bouncer. I'm pretty disappointed but hoping Honda/dealer does something to make it right. Here is my vin # 1hfve0424g4800644 (from what I could read on the trail)

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
No mud but some pretty good long climbs with 4 grown men in it. I made it a point to not lug the engine or run super slow in the clutch zone. Just noticed more shuddering when starting out and revving high shifting to 3rd and 5th. So, it wasn't being abused or even really pushed. I need to be able to go slow in some spots as not to use it as a rock bouncer. I'm pretty disappointed but hoping Honda/dealer does something to make it right. Here is my vin # 1hfve0424g4800644 (from what I could read on the trail)
Have you changed your oil yet?

L

Lilnoisy

Jan 10, 2016
Well my friend, your not the only one!! I owned my pk1 for only 10 days and 50 miles when mine hung in gear!!! Clutch pack one was missing a friction pad from factory!! It took 20 days and me having to call honda myself before they figured out what was wrong. New clutch pack and 200 miles later, she's running strong!!

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Well my friend, your not the only one!! I owned my pk1 for only 10 days and 50 miles when mine hung in gear!!! Clutch pack one was missing a friction pad from factory!! It took 20 days and me having to call honda myself before they figured out what was wrong. New clutch pack and 200 miles later, she's running strong!!
congratulations you ae the first person I have come across that said what was wrong with there clutch missing FRICTION FIBER makes perfect sense can u tell us more about it please?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
OK after nearly 800 posts on 40 pages in this thread and many more in three other threads I have done my best to consolidate stated issues / diagnosis by Honda / and End results. The dates are merely when I could see it was posted and may have no reflection on the actual date of the issue or date it was corrected if at all as of this point. If any of you mentioned below more details to share I will maintain an up to date list of information as best I can. The purpose is to get as much factual data in an easy to read concise format.

Here is who I have noted thus far in order of posting they had an issue: @Serial_Fordicator @mikegzales @Bayouownbeer @aquatic1998
@Scooterchris @Kyguy52 @Buckrocker @itsleo @jguillot @HivoltageHonda @amc019 @Millerhunts @jokerperry @ratsnake
@educ8tedguess @Rippinnrarrin @Lilnoisy

P1K Issues 3 20 16

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK after nearly 800 posts on 40 pages in this thread and many more in three other threads I have done my best to consolidate stated issues / diagnosis by Honda / and End results. The dates are merely when I could see it was posted and may have no reflection on the actual date of the issue or date it was corrected if at all as of this point. If any of you mentioned below more details to share I will maintain an up to date list of information as best I can. The purpose is to get as much factual data in an easy to read concise format.

Here is who I have noted thus far in order of posting they had an issue: @Serial_Fordicator @mikegzales @Bayouownbeer @aquatic1998
@Scooterchris @Kyguy52 @Buckrocker @itsleo @jguillot @HivoltageHonda @amc019 @Millerhunts @walexa07 @jokerperry @ratsnake

View attachment 12148
Good job. You can add one more check to my name. I haven't had the 1,3,5 and reverse issue again. Have put 40 miles since it has quit. But the other day I experienced the bad ground issue. Here's what happen. I go get the Honda out the shed to bring some stuff the the burn pile. Everthings fine I load it up go to pile shut bike off. Unload crank back up. Clutch wouldn't engage until 3k rpm in any gear. No erratic lights on display though. Brought it back
To shed look both engine grounds off and put back on. Back to normal. btw the grounds where not loose. I guess there weren't making good contact. At least I hope that was the issue and not just coincidence.

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

@Scooterchris @Kyguy52 @Buckrocker @itsleo @jguillot @HivoltageHonda @amc019 @Millerhunts @walexa07 @jokerperry @ratsnake

View attachment 12148
That was a lot of work and really helps frame the problems.
I had 42 miles on mine when dealer corrected the ground. I now have over 200 with no additional problems. It looks like there are two problems. Could the ground wire issue cause the clutch issue? Maybe. I took mine to the dealer as soon as I noticed the problem. Of course they could be two completely different problems.

Reactions: pct
advertisement