Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Don't let them shine you on, here is the real difference. You can save $690 on the crankshaft alone, I used their part number from above:

View attachment 16610

Update took the 6 most expensive parts and can save over $1525 on those alone:

View attachment 16613
Insurance companies allow it so it's the norm. I guess it's an opening box fee

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Insurance companies allow it so it's the norm. I guess it's an opening box fee
IF the insurance is paying the bill then that is their problem on repair cost. I was under the impression you were paying out of pocket, that's what raised my ire a bit.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We're not positive yet on this I'll know more soon. If they will under weather related we'll be okay other then deductible and accessory removal. But if it does go through I'm just not going to be happy the inferior quality and I'm not sure if you caught it but the crank is on back order and rods are unavailable and it needs them. I was referring to that because body shops do it as well. There is a list and a cost people always pay list like any business I guess. Ins allows this as its "list" cost and in the end we all pay for it.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I like jackal, was under the impression you were paying out-of-pocket also! I must've missed something somewhere along the threads :)

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone that rides in shallow water without a snorkel checked the Low point in the intake tube for water build up? Wondering if I should check mine.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has anyone that rides in shallow water without a snorkel checked the Low point in the intake tube for water build up? Wondering if I should check mine.

I know the older I get, the less anxious I am to learn new things. When I was in my 30s I would rip anything apart and immediately learn it all and put it all back together. Now it's like pulling teeth just to change the oil!

Seeing as how there is so much interest over this issue and wondering like you if I need to check out my own situation, it would be nice if somebody could point to a thread that has pictures so that I know what it is that I am looking for.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya I suppose I ramble a bit at times so threads are long so I'm sorry you may have missed something. I am unless something else kicks in. I brought it in for a tear down to get an estimate and see what I have to work with and at least get it started. It was a 12 hour tear down. And that's where we have to leave it till we find out which way it goes. If all fails I'm prepared to do what I have to do to get this finished but it's on hold till all options are looked at. i was hoping for Honda to step up being a flaw in the system and know they don't usually warrentee these for this but was hoping for some help but have exhausted this route I feel. I should know what ins will do for sure tomorrow. That's why I said it's a little better day. But Ins contacted the dealer today so we will see.

Reactions: educ8tedguess
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ya I suppose I ramble a bit at times so threads are long so I'm sorry you may have missed something. I am unless something else kicks in. I brought it in for a tear down to get an estimate and see what I have to work with and at least get it started. It was a 12 hour tear down. And that's where we have to leave it till we find out which way it goes. If all fails I'm prepared to do what I have to do to get this finished but it's on hold till all options are looked at. i was hoping for Honda to step up being a flaw in the system and know they don't usually warrentee these for this but was hoping for some help but have exhausted this route I feel. I should know what ins will do for sure tomorrow. That's why I said it's a little better day. But Ins contacted the dealer today so we will see.

YOU ramble? Have you read my posts??? :)

advertisement
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have been looking for a while now and I just can't find it. But it was a couple weeks ago I came across a thread (non Honda) where somebody was complaining about the intake design on the 1000 and they said they knew of "someone" that went through a puddle and blew the engine with water.

Of course it was a heated topic and others were saying that it's impossible and the design was actually ingenius as to where Honda put it.

And of course others were saying the exact opposite, that it was stupid to put it there. I'm wondering now if they were referring to you or somebody totally different.

If not you, than I thought it would be very relevant if we could find the other situation that it happened. Can't find it for the life of me now.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not that I'm aware of. Joey checked and he didn't have any but he is snorkeled.

Reactions: Bayouownbeer
AirtimeAcres

AirtimeAcres

Nov 11, 2015
CP, I feel your pain. I've been lurking on this thread, and I too am disappointed with Honda over this. I have a couple dozen hondas and like them, but now every day I take my Pioneer for a ride, I think of you having to go without yours.
I hope things work out for you soon...
Randy

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CP, I feel your pain. I've been lurking on this thread, and I too am disappointed with Honda over this. I have a couple dozen hondas and like them, but now every day I take my Pioneer for a ride, I think of you having to go without yours.
I hope things work out for you soon...
Randy
Well thank you. It's still a good machine and I'm proud to own it even with a few flaws. It'll all work out in time but when you do all you can and you finally arrive at a goal just to have something so stupid take you out its a lot. It's hard to remain calm. Everything will get better just need to back up a second take a breath and regroup. We have to take some weekends off to get caught up first time in years but will make our way back out old school for awhile and will get back to where we were. We're already getting antsy and trying to figure out how to just tent and a couple of bikes but at least get out. We already miss it but we will get out. Pictures posted will look way different for awhile but things are looking up just a bit with the Honda and that will help spirits for sure. So much support on here has been a lifesaver. Everything works out eventually.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have been looking for a while now and I just can't find it. But it was a couple weeks ago I came across a thread (non Honda) where somebody was complaining about the intake design on the 1000 and they said they knew of "someone" that went through a puddle and blew the engine with water.

Of course it was a heated topic and others were saying that it's impossible and the design was actually ingenius as to where Honda put it.

And of course others were saying the exact opposite, that it was stupid to put it there. I'm wondering now if they were referring to you or somebody totally different.

If not you, than I thought it would be very relevant if we could find the other situation that it happened. Can't find it for the life of me now.
Ya I found that one. It was his buddies 1000 and he had to pull him back to camp with a Hisun after they were playing in a shallow creek. Another dealer told me of another one where the guy was going down a paved road went through 9in of standing water and done. There was another on this site as well I asked and Hondasxs remembered that one too and was trying to locate it. I was told of four cases known mine being 4 but I my dealer also said he talked to another one that had two. I'm not sure if those are included or not he says probably not. He said it's a very poor design and is positive it will be changed. He brought up snow and said this winter after more have been sold the the sport world people get comfortable and start putting tracks on these it'll blow up. Said snow is bound to go in. So we will see

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ya I found that one. It was his buddies 1000 and he had to pull him back to camp with a Hisun after they were playing in a shallow creek. Another dealer told me of another one where the guy was going down a paved road went through 9in of standing water and done. There was another on this site as well I asked and Hondasxs remembered that one too and was trying to locate it. I was told of four cases known mine being 4 but I my dealer also said he talked to another one that had two. I'm not sure if those are included or not he says probably not. He said it's a very poor design and is positive it will be changed. He brought up snow and said this winter after more have been sold the the sport world people get comfortable and start putting tracks on these it'll blow up. Said snow is bound to go in. So we will see

That was it!! I remember now because yes, he was bragging about his Hisun and others were making fun of him for doing it. Said it sounded more like he was pushing his Hisun then genuinely caring about his buddy blowing the engine and what a horrible friend he was. So I remember the article now word by word, yet, I couldn't remember where I saw the article..

As you get older memory is a funny thing. I remember somethings verbatim and other things I forget completely. Like I remember being the most well-liked fellow on this forum and everybody can't wait for me to post, yet I can't remember the day I was voted " most liked Hondasxs forum participator"

I think it has to do with subconsciously filing away what seems important at the moment. I get mentally burnt much easier now. Course, caring full-time For a sick wife doesn't help my cause that's for sure.

I'm not technical enough to know about
the location of it being ingenius or not. That's why I was reading. And supposedly by putting it there, it gets less dust than under the seat??

I remember even seeing a picture OR I walked out and looked under my hood and remember thinking it was a great location and would be almost impossible to suck water where it's at.

I guess only time will tell if that's true!

Reactions: Stauvo
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know the older I get, the less anxious I am to learn new things. When I was in my 30s I would rip anything apart and immediately learn it all and put it all back together. Now it's like pulling teeth just to change the oil!

Seeing as how there is so much interest over this issue and wondering like you if I need to check out my own situation, it would be nice if somebody could point to a thread that has pictures so that I know what it is that I am looking for.
Exactly !

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@cwalton seriously try what I suggested. I've been in auto body for 25 years and have dealt with plastic a lot. It's tough to get adhesion but can be done:)
I went to local auto and they gave me plastic weld tube. Did not work. Do you have a specific brand, so I can ask for what you know works?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
We're not positive yet on this I'll know more soon. If they will under weather related we'll be okay other then deductible and accessory removal. But if it does go through I'm just not going to be happy the inferior quality and I'm not sure if you caught it but the crank is on back order and rods are unavailable and it needs them. I was referring to that because body shops do it as well. There is a list and a cost people always pay list like any business I guess. Ins allows this as its "list" cost and in the end we all pay for it.
Well I will keep my fingers crossed that insurance will cover it. I would use the dealers quote and then order a crate motor if they do;). I can honestly say if the person responsible for repair wasn't known for expertise I wouldn't even consider going with them. Good luck! Hoping for good news:)

advertisement