Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Man I feel so sorry about this whole deal. The sad part is I would never be happy with it after $9000 worth of repairs. The only way to get out from under it is to repair it and sell it. I wouldn't be able to sell it with a clear conscience unless I told the buyer the whole story. What a conundrum.
Yes @Jbird itll never be as good as the Honda assembly line in Japan. Service fully admits this. Something as simple as putting on a head by machine is done to exacting specs and all bolts are ran down at once and torqued at once. It's just not a 20yo 350 chev. Never had a problem like this at this dealer with a Honda but he said it's nearly impossible on Polaris to get them to warranty after an issue like this because they claim abuse so if you have a problem later with anything possibly SOL. Every time you open a factory motor especially Honda just taking someone out and reinstalling could cause failure later. So my 5year extended may wind up void at some point. Said don't know on Honda hasn't came down to that before but definitely a problem with the other machines. Not great news.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I would be tempted to put it up for sale or auction it and get a new one... might not be much difference in cost overall.
It is close to totaled if it does go so...I'm mixed on this because I'll be starting over and that sucks! But I don't want a hand assembled motor with reused rods either. But it's looking like its covered so maybe back to riding someday soon. It's the perfect time of year here for riding so I want to be out hearing the beautiful sound of shifting clicks. I'm dying!!!

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is close to totaled if it does go so...I'm mixed on this because I'll be starting over and that sucks! But I don't want a hand assembled motor with reused rods either. But it's looking like its covered so maybe back to riding someday soon. It's the perfect time of year here for riding so I want to be out hearing the beautiful sound of shifting clicks. I'm dying!!!
So if it's covered will they total it so you can start new? When my wife rolled our two year old Rav 4 over in a bar ditch the repairs were $11000 on a $24000 vehicle and they wanted to total it.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has dealer offered to take that in on a trade in, u get a new one, and let them rebuild it and resell used?

I agree with some that that's just too much money to just wind up with a machine with a voided warranty down the road as well as other issues later on down the road because of it.

And definitely, I wouldn't want to hear for that amount of money, they're going to reuse some of the parts when they would've normally replaced them if they would've been available.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not sure. It's close but there is a lot of time and money added to mine. If i start over its 3 of my own complete builds in just over a year in our busiest time of the year kinda discouraging honestly. We already knew all this damage existed prior to today but I guess it puts a stamp on it so I can move on to the next stage. Actually a little weight off of me and as of now things look better then yesterday. Off of subject but you still put a smile on my face my freind! You're a good man!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
View attachment 16603 View attachment 16604 Here is the complete break down. If wish I make that to wash something.
Did you ask what a crate engine would cost? I think it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying 1 part at a time. You could sell off the old cases etc. to recoup some of the costs, I seen on FB where a guy bashed in his engine casing on a rock with the OEM skid plates.

Also you can get those parts on average 22% off at pro caliber.com FREE shipping. That's nearly $1000 less right there. Your already F#@%d no need to get raped too.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Has dealer offered to take that in on a trade in, u get a new one, and let them rebuild it and resell used?

I agree with some that that's just too much money to just wind up with a machine with a voided warranty down the road as well as other issues later on down the road because of it.

And definitely, I wouldn't want to hear for that amount of money, they're going to reuse some of the parts when they would've normally replaced them if they would've been available.
I don't think that's an option but damn nice idea!!
No there are several main components that just aren't available. Not really a big deal on your average v8 but this is such a close tolerance motor with high revs it's unnerving. I think if it gets covered like we're thinking I'll push a bit but beggars can't be choosers. I sure loved hearing from several mechanics just how much better Honda actually is. It's been asked how I can be a fan of Honda after all of this well that's why! The stuff that came from Japan is flawless it's the testing that was lacking and a few lazy people that left things loose. I think they probably changed air intake mid ship from 700 design and didn't test much is my guess.

Reactions: joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Did you ask what a crate engine would cost? I think it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than 1 part where a guy bashed in his engine casing on a rock with the OEM skid plates.
100% not available at this time. And yes it would be drastically cheaper. I'd be very good with a new motor! Very happy. The dealer tried as well. They had to jockey 14 jobs around to get this one in. Too many Polaris's in the way I guess some fire recalls will have to wait lol. He wanted new motor as well. Said even if one was available that shipments from Japan only happen a few times a year and are sometimes planned a year in advance which doesn't seem accurate but that's what I was told.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Dealer markup is 20%

Don't let them shine you on, here is the real difference. You can save $690 on the crankshaft alone, I used their part number from above:

CP PArts

Update took the 6 most expensive parts and can save over $1525 on those alone:

CP Parts 2

Last edited:
advertisement
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Wow! I can't believe how dealers attempt to line their pockets off someone's misfortune! They should be ashamed of themselves! I honestly can't stop shaking my head! I can't help but wonder what the price of a crate motor would be if there were one available.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
100% not available at this time. And yes it would be drastically cheaper. I'd be very good with a new motor! Very happy. The dealer tried as well. They had to jockey 14 jobs around to get this one in. Too many Polaris's in the way I guess some fire recalls will have to wait lol. He wanted new motor as well. Said even if one was available that shipments from Japan only happen a few times a year and are sometimes planned a year in advance which doesn't seem accurate but that's what I was told.
My clutches came from Japan less than 3 weeks after the OK to fix it was given, I sent you a PM.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I want to take a second to give a shout out the the Traveler himself @joeymt33. He was gracious enough to not only let me copy his patented snorkel design but to send me parts for it as well.
Arrived today (probably didn't need to two day ship it buddy:)) just need a machine to attach it to. As soon as it comes off the trailer there will be a hole in the hood (which he gave me the secret for hole placement,ingenious really) and this goes in. Even powder coated it in my choice of color. Thanks to you Joe you're a stud. Just another example of the incredible people here I'm not thinking to many other sites have this many people willing to go out of there way for someone they've not yet met! You guys are cool as hell really great people! Thanks to everyone here! Honda owners are an incredible group of people

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I want to take a second to give a shout out the the Traveler himself @joeymt33. He was gracious enough to not only let me copy his patented snorkel design but to send me parts for it as well.
View attachment 16611
Arrived today (probably didn't need to two day ship it buddy:)) just need a machine to attach it to. As soon as it comes off the trailer there will be a hole in the hood (which he gave me the secret for hole placement,ingenious really) and this goes in. Even powder coated it in my choice of color. Thanks to you Joe you're a stud. Just another example of the incredible people here I'm not thinking to many other sites have this many people willing to go out of there way for someone they've not yet met! You guys are cool as hell really great people! Thanks to everyone here! Honda owners are an incredible group of people
Well now i am dying to know the ingenious secret for hole placement.:)

Reactions: sharp and Stauvo
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
View attachment 16611

I forgot to mention that I sent what pipe I had left over and you can cut it to your desired length. Also, the powder coat got a imperfection in it as I accidentally let it fall over before it dried so if you cut some off, cut off the bad side. :(

Also, two day shipping was the standard with a flat rate box. I was surprised at how cheap it was to send it that far in just two days.

Sent from my iPad 7G

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well now i am dying to know the ingenious secret for hole placement.:)
Simple really but it took some thought. You'll have to bug joe.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Haha, I used duct tape and centered (best I could) a laser pointer in the intake tube. It pointed straight up and with the hood installed there was a red dot for the drill point. :) scary what a redneck with duct tape can do.

Sent from my iPad 7G

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I forgot to mention that I sent what pipe I had left over and you can cut it to your desired length. Also, the powder coat got a imperfection in it as I accidentally let it fall over before it dried so if you cut some off, cut off the bad side. :(

Also, two day shipping was the standard with a flat rate box. I was surprised at how cheap it was to send it that far in just two days.

Sent from my iPad 7G
Well thank you so much. Imperfections are perfect sometimes.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Haha, I used duct tape and centered (best I could) a laser pointer in the intake tube. It pointed straight up and with the hood installed there was a red dot for the drill point. :) scary what a redneck with duct tape can do.

Sent from my iPad 7G
That is a great idea! Much better than mine! I used masking tape on fender with Snorkle tube installed, marked center and measurement from point on tape to outer edge. Removed tube, installed hood, Measured over width of pipe and then marked center. Notice the placement of tube on underside grid while illuminated. For those who may not have a laser pointer ;)

Reactions: Delton and joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
View attachment 16616
That is a great idea! Much better than mine! I used masking tape on fender with Snorkle tube installed, marked center and measurement from point on tape to outer edge. Removed tube, installed hood, Measured over width of pipe and then marked center. Notice the placement of tube on underside grid while illuminated.
I told it was good. My idea was use two markers taped in a way these hit the hood

advertisement