Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well I will keep my fingers crossed that insurance will cover it. I would use the dealers quote and then order a crate motor if they do;). I can honestly say if the person responsible for repair wasn't known for expertise I wouldn't even consider going with them. Good luck! Hoping for good news:)
I'm pushing it:) I'll know more today and will report back:) thank you

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
So I'm a bit confused at this point in the thread. Did the motor hydro lock from water being sucked in or did it just burn up the bearings and rings from having water in the oil?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It would get less dust in front for sure apparently there were several 700's that failed because of that spot so I think it was probably rerouted because of the reports. Like I said my 700 was never a problem so I'm not sure about this I've never heard. But the location of the air pickup on the 1000 is the problem. It suck in anything from the front of the vehicle there is nothing between it and the elements.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So I'm a bit confused at this point in the thread. Did the motor hydro lock from water being sucked in or did it just burn up the bearings and rings from having water in the oil?
It was a rush of water that entered the motor. It was so fast that it was locked up before the water could even circulate through the motor to the transmission. Not sure how it locks a motor without major damage to the rods which are not available but there is major damage to the pistons and cylinders. The bearings seals and everything else are fine but still need replacement. We think transmission is fine because it happened so quickly it may have not gotten through. There was standing water on the Pistons even but they were still in the holes.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Apparently I was really lucky when I was younger. I grew up about a mile or two from a river and I cant tell you how many times I swamped a Honda ATV. I remember many times dragging my upside down ATV (ATC 250sx,ATC 350x, TRX300s, Rubicons Ranchers) out and hitting the button only to find out the cylinder was full of water. So, I learned to pull the spark plug and then crank it over for a bit. Put the plug back in, start it up and ride home and change the oil. I basically grew up down in that woods as a young teenager. We never had an engine issue. Now that I think a little more about it, It makes me sad that my kid probably wont grow up like that. I learned a lot about problem solving early in life I guess. By my self, nobody around to help you get unstuck etc. Sounds kind of crazy actually, lucky I'm still on this earth. CP,I am sorry you have to go through this, I would be devastated if it happened to me. Hoping for the best for you.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
It was a rush of water that entered the motor. It was so fast that it was locked up before the water could even circulate through the motor to the transmission. Not sure how it locks a motor without major damage to the rods which are not available but there is major damage to the pistons and cylinders. The bearings seals and everything else are fine but still need replacement. We think transmission is fine because it happened so quickly it may have not gotten through. There was standing water on the Pistons even but they were still in the holes.
So the pistons are broken from hydro locking?

If so what was the deal with the milky oil? Was that a separate issue?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I went to local auto and they gave me plastic weld tube. Did not work. Do you have a specific brand, so I can ask for what you know works?
The prep is key! Plastic is tough because of the release agent the use to get it out of the molds it's formed in. Plastic W elders are the best but people don't have much access to one. And all plastics are of different compounds. What you're working with is a very slippery plastic and is tough to adhere. We'll try to get you fixed up though. This is the most you can do from a can but try this... Scratch up the best you can anywhere the adhesive sits. Maybe use 80grt paper to do this both sides. Heat up area to at least 160 better at 180 for 15 minutes with preferably a heat gun but blow dryer will work as well. to get mold release agents out of the plastic wipe it while still very warm with acetone. Then scuff the entire area with acetone and a red or very abrasive scuff pad after dry clean with window cleaner if the hole is large tear scuff pad in half so it's half as thick and use enough in one piece from the backside with enough to over lap all the way around. Use the two part after mixed very very good and saturate the pad put two part on the area and place pad on top of the glue underside. Smear a coating in top of that and smooth lightly. On top try to do this before underside is dry smear scratched area with the two part over lapping edges. Before dry use acetone lightly on finger to spread and contour lightly. You only have about 7-10 minutes work time with this product. This is the best option without a plastic welder. It should work. Again the prep is key! Image currently I only have one minute so I can't get a better picture but I suggest using five minutes you'll have better resultsImage

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Apparently. Not positive how water got down without broken piston or rod right now the pistons are still in I may find out more later

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Apparently I was really lucky when I was younger. I grew up about a mile or two from a river and I cant tell you how many times I swamped a Honda ATV. I remember many times dragging my upside down ATV (ATC 250sx,ATC 350x, TRX300s, Rubicons Ranchers) out and hitting the button only to find out the cylinder was full of water. So, I learned to pull the spark plug and then crank it over for a bit. Put the plug back in, start it up and ride home and change the oil. I basically grew up down in that woods as a young teenager. We never had an engine issue. Now that I think a little more about it, It makes me sad that my kid probably wont grow up like that. I learned a lot about problem solving early in life I guess. By my self, nobody around to help you get unstuck etc. Sounds kind of crazy actually, lucky I'm still on this earth. CP,I am sorry you have to go through this, I would be devastated if it happened to me. Hoping for the best for you.
Thank you @DRAGFOOT and usually pulling the plugs and new oil works but it didn't this time. Part of it being fuel injection and being under throttle moves lots of air and in turn water. Maybe heat seized from rush of cold water on hot piston? Only speculating here?

N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That things totaled dude! Insurance isn't going to mess with that thing. Of course they are going to compensate off blue book or something, and you're going to take a hit. Use the money generated here to bridge the gap between what they payoff and a new one. Done deal!

Reactions: X4Dice and Eltobgi
advertisement
cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The prep is key! Plastic is tough because of the release agent the use to get it out of the molds it's formed in. Plastic W elders are the best but people don't have much access to one. And all plastics are of different compounds. What you're working with is a very slippery plastic and is tough to adhere. We'll try to get you fixed up though. This is the most you can do from a can but try this... Scratch up the best you can anywhere the adhesive sits. Maybe use 80grt paper to do this both sides. Heat up area to at least 160 better at 180 for 15 minutes with preferably a heat gun but blow dryer will work as well. to get mold release agents out of the plastic wipe it while still very warm with acetone. Then scuff the entire area with acetone and a red or very abrasive scuff pad after dry clean with window cleaner if the hole is large tear scuff pad in half so it's half as thick and use enough in one piece from the backside with enough to over lap all the way around. Use the two part after mixed very very good and saturate the pad put two part on the area and place pad on top of the glue underside. Smear a coating in top of that and smooth lightly. On top try to do this before underside is dry smear scratched area with the two part over lapping edges. Before dry use acetone lightly on finger to spread and contour lightly. You only have about 7-10 minutes work time with this product. This is the best option without a plastic welder. It should work. Again the prep is key!View attachment 16626 currently I only have one minute so I can't get a better picture but I suggest using five minutes you'll have better resultsView attachment 16627
OK, will try it!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We used to joke about how that a honda runs better with alittle water in it. But not as much a cp had. At least he had insurance!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I think the biggest clue is that when he drained the oil from the transmission, it was clean. When he pulled the engine plug, it was white.

Sent from my iPad 7G

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Oh happy day!!!
Still scared because it's not final but goes in under non fault weather related. Wish Honda came through but glad insurance is going to! I'm back!! HAPPY DAY IS RIGHT!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We used to joke about how that a honda runs better with alittle water in it. But not as much a cp had. At least he had insurance!
Any they found a way to cover it!:)

advertisement