P1000 Catastrophic failure

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would be looking into insurance. They cover cars that get water ingestion. Almost 10k, you have to make the phone call!

Reactions: Jbird and sharp
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Amazing what puddles will do!View attachment 16601
Man I feel so sorry about this whole deal. The sad part is I would never be happy with it after $9000 worth of repairs. The only way to get out from under it is to repair it and sell it. I wouldn't be able to sell it with a clear conscience unless I told the buyer the whole story. What a conundrum.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Wow.

Did they itemize what they are going to do and show you pictures? I would definitely want to know exactly what was being done before I blew a wad like that to fix anything. I have had major car/truck repairs for significantly less than that.

Can't they just get a crate engine and replace it for less than that?

If not that, can you just get the darn thing totaled out by the insurance?

I tell you, if you are still a "Honda guy" after this, you are a better man than I. This is making me NOT want to be a "Honda guy" and I am not the guy getting hosed.

Sorry man, that really, really sucks.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Here is the complete break down. If wish I make that to wash something.
OMFG.
Really shop supplies $25 and shipping $350

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's crazy! If you have insurance they will be easier to work with than honda.
Ins may cover under weather conditions. Working on it all.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Ins may cover under weather conditions. Working on it all.
I wonder what Honda would do if you dragged the machine to their corporate office and set up a huge tv and showed your video for a day? ;)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Just read this thread for the first time. Honda should be PROUD to stand behind a warranty, especially on a first year production model, if for any other reason, just to show everybody these machines are made for abuse and can take it, and if it doesn't, they will stand by it.

What's a little bizarre is them saying they haven't had any other issues with this problem.

Well DUH, enough of them hasn't been out there long enough for them to be made aware of these issues, in fact, since it's in the first year of production, the way that you ARE made aware of these issues Honda is when the first few come trickling in...

However, maybe this has something to do with it. Did a little research as far as timing goes.

I've been reassured by many that Honda definitely reads these threads.

I can't help but think that maybe it didn't help your cause that on my Dear Honda thread, of course at the time not thinking that maybe they would read it, you posted you beat the holy crap out of your machine, you had a major issue that was probably your fault, as well as a host of other things I read where you freely admited abusing the heck out of it.

I'm just curious, do you think Honda read that and could've been part of the reason for their decision???
I do freely admit being hard on this rig however I do not go out to intentionally hurt it. There is a big difference between a heavy load,scratching it,side rail hits on rocks,and a screwed up roof panel because you went in too tight as opposed to swamping it. I've never done that with anything. I know what water can do I've pulled my fair share out of the water dead. That's not me. 8-10" puddle should be ok. And had I not gone through puddles yes this wouldn't happen but...it's a off road vehicle and well that's part of it

advertisement
KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
I wonder what Honda would do if you dragged the machine to their corporate office and set up a huge tv and showed your video for a day? ;)
I would hope if there was a Honda rep on here that he would really think about all of this publicity. I know for one if i was looking for a sxs right now and scrolled on this forum it might would change my mind. Now I like my pioneer, I'm just saying someone coming on here and seeing this might not like it as much as I do. So HONDA DO WHATS RIGHT

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
May be a long shot but we run a wrecker service and have hauled everything from campers boats ATV etc to salvage auction places like Coparts here I'm Missouri. Might hit the ole interwebs and check that out. Would probably be cheaper to pick up a whole buggy I'm sure someone has totalled one out by now

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Wow.

Did they itemize what they are going to do and show you pictures? I would definitely want to know exactly what was being done before I blew a wad like that to fix anything. I have had major car/truck repairs for significantly less than that.

Can't they just get a crate engine and replace it for less than that?

If not that, can you just get the darn thing totaled out by the insurance?

I tell you, if you are still a "Honda guy" after this, you are a better man than I. This is making me NOT want to be a "Honda guy" and I am not the guy getting hosed.

Sorry man, that really, really sucks.
No crates available. And after talking to the service manager yes I still love Honda. He flat out said they can do whatever they possibly can but it will never match Honda build. If it were popo or can am they will beat it. He said he's never seen a random bolt inside the the motor laying there but has in Polaris. He said the metals are better and the tolerances in a Honda are so much better then any other brand period!

Reactions: joeymt33
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
May be a long shot but we run a wrecker service and have hauled everything from campers boats ATV etc to salvage auction places like Coparts here I'm Missouri. Might hit the ole interwebs and check that out. Would probably be cheaper to pick up a whole buggy I'm sure someone has totalled one out by now
Got me thinking.
It might even be worth buying a new machine - use what you need and sell the others parts at a discount (MSRP) and you'd probably some out on top. I know someone was looking for a rollcage but I think that was Alaska. Or keep the new machine and salvage parts of the wet one.
Kinda of a pain - and gotta put some money down up front....

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One thing I find interesting is the price of parts. A quick search just on rocky mountain has the parts for a average of 20% less. Typically a part here and there won't matter buy this instance could save over $1000. Just an observation but I would assume the dealer is making a little or a lot off of this.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No crates available. And after talking to the service manager yes I still love Honda. He flat out said they can do whatever they possibly can but it will never match Honda build. If it were popo or can am they will beat it. He said he's never seen a random bolt inside the the motor laying there but has in Polaris. He said the metals are better and the tolerances in a Honda are so much better then any other brand period!

I did not see oversize cylinders, pistons, or rings - so are they going oversize or not?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
One thing I find interesting is the price of parts. A quick search just on rocky mountain has the parts for a average of 20% less. Typically a part here and there won't matter buy this instance could save over $1000. Just an observation but I would assume the dealer is making a little or a lot off of this.
Dealer markup is 20%

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It's worth pretty good money at auction as well.

Reactions: GlockMeister
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I did not see oversize cylinders, pistons, or rings - so are they going oversize or not?
No new every thing. The only oversize is a plus one and it's too bunged up for that. The only problem right now are the rods. They are unavailable period. The pistons still are not out they are waiting for a go ahead before that but they are 100% locked up. The connector rods are "probably " reusable. The crank is not available either but they say it's turnable but they wanted new. That's the only pic I could get as it's all buttoned up a little back waiting for a go.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Dealer markup is 20%
That's the deal they're giving you? 20% over cost? Then that's pretty good of them. Because I can tell you regular markup is about double that. Trust, but verify.

advertisement