Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good grief that speaker port just wouldn't work in my rig lol. I'd have a fried amp for sure lol. Every single 1000 owner should take note of your situation and, if nothing else, be aware that those innocent puddles can destroy their engines. Personally I think all of us should rally to get hondas attention and to correct this matter. Not just for your sake, but because this could have easily happened to any of us. Unsnorkeled rigs are vulnerable.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Mine is number four in very similar situations. There already is a case number assinged to mine just like the others that were warranted through Honda so they are aware and being Honda they are probably working on a fix. They were quick to recall the skid plate issue on the 700 hopefully this is no different. Tuesday morning they will start tearing down the motor/transmission on mine under my own authority with my own funds at this point hopefully they will step up. Tuesday I am also expected to be receiving a call from corporate. And by Thursday morning I will be finding out the total extent of the damage by tear down. I'm not bashful and will post our findings either way.

Reactions: Eltobgi
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well you're looking at bent rods at least. Hopefully the cylinders didn't get thrashed. I don't have my manual handy so not sure if it's a uni-block design or not. That has alot to do with the repair cost. Maybe it's not as bad as you think. Come on Honda!!! If you're reading this help us out here. We all had alot to do with those mortgage payments and the braces on your kids teeth. Take care of us.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've already sat down with the mechanic and store manager and started talking parts and prices. The cylinder is part of the split case and depending on the extent will either have to be honed however Honda only has a plus 25 piston kit (which I would prefer being slightly more power) but wouldn't allow me any room for a problem down the road or possibly have to replace the $2000 half which I'm pretty sure will have to be performed. Everything including every bearing and seal has to be replaced because of the dirt that got in and possibly transmission rebuild (the transfer case being separate is safe) to keep my extended warranty and it's expensive, possibly waiting on parts directly from Japan, could show up as back ordered. Motor/trans come from there. I'm praying for the big weekend of the 4th but not hopefull.

Last edited:
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've already sat down with the mechanic and store manager and started talking parts and prices. The cylinder is part of the split case and depending on the extent will either have to be honed however Honda only has a plus 25 piston kit (which I would prefer being slightly more power) but wouldn't allow me any room for a problem down the road or possibly have to replace the $2000 half which I'm pretty sure will have to be performed. Everything including every bearing and seal has to be replaced because of the dirt that got in and possibly transmission rebuild (the transfer case being separate is safe) to keep my extended warranty and it's expensive, possibly waiting on parts directly from Japan, could show up as back ordered. Motor/trans come from there. I'm praying for the big weekend of the 4th but not hopefull.
Honda should ship a complete engine to your dealer to swap out and take yours back for evaluation. If this turns out to be a design flaw I would not be content with a bore job, oversize Pistons, and a pat on the ass. These units cost big bucks and we should be able to expect sound design and bull dog durability.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I honestly believe that we do have that durability with these and my ultimate goal would be a new motor/transmission as in my experience I've never seen a rebuild hold up the same as a factory assembled motor. Being that I didn't do anything wrong I'll definitely be getting the shaft with an inferior assembly and parts. My dealer can't get a short block the only way for that to happen is if Honda stepped up and sent one. If they did that it would also insure I'd be riding sometime soon but as of Tuesday my motor starts its process.

Reactions: Jbird
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I honestly believe that we do have that durability with these and my ultimate goal would be a new motor/transmission as in my experience I've never seen a rebuild hold up the same as a factory assembled motor. Being that I didn't do anything wrong I'll definitely be getting the shaft with an inferior assembly and parts. My dealer can't get a short block the only way for that to happen is if Honda stepped up and sent one. If they did that it would also insure I'd be riding sometime soon but as of Tuesday my motor starts its process.
So far my experience with Honda has been very good. Cars (6), power equipment, three wheelers, dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, etc. They have the reputation for quality and that is what brought us all to this purchase. Since the P1000 is their flagship SxS I would be surprised and disappointed if they left you hanging. All of us will be watching how you are treated.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well you've got a great appreciation for quality! I'm still waiting for a Honda chainsaw that would make me complete:)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You probably turbocharged that bad boy didn't you?:) I had a Husky. Will be replacing it with one or the other. Those two saws are very good! But wouldn't a Honda strapped to the back of a Honda look right at home??

Reactions: Jbird
advertisement
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You probably turbocharged that bad boy didn't you?:) I had a Husky. Will be replacing it with one or the other. Those two saws are very good! But wouldn't a Honda strapped to the back of a Honda look right at home??
With a honda cooler and a honda beer. We have problems.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yep. Till then my modified Stihl 250C will have to do.

Off topic but who modded your saw? I've been a saw nut for years and at one time had over 100! I didn't do much modding myself but only a few. I do know the best modder this side of the Mississippi though. Just curious if you use him any. It's "mastermind" ported saws. He's in north central TN.

Sent from my iPad 7G

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Off topic but who modded your saw? I've been a saw nut for years and at one time had over 100! I didn't do much modding myself but only a few. I do know the best modder this side of the Mississippi though. Just curious if you use him any. It's "mastermind" ported saws. He's in north central TN.

Sent from my iPad 7G
My mod was not souping it up. The 250-C comes with Ez start and quick adjuster on the chain. I like the EZ start but the quick adjust sucks. After a while it would loosen on its own and when you reef down on it the plastic breaks. So I found all the parts on line to convert it to the old style twin nut adjustment and life is good again.

oldtrucks

oldtrucks

Mar 15, 2015
Pinehurst Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cummins Pusher and all: I owned a Pioneer 700 before I bought the Pioneer 1000. I too had a catastrofic failure with the 700, the engine and transmission grenaded one day on my way to work. No warning just a loud "BANG" and it would run no more. I had about 4500 miles on it and Honda said they had never had this happen to one of these drive trains ever. Well here is how the Warranty worked. There was no way to get another assembly from the factory so they had to dis assemble the engine and transmission complete and order every piece to be able to put the thing back together and make it run again. This process took about 4 months and I didn't have a rig until it was finished and running. Shortly after it blew up I began hearing about the 1000. Long story short I got the first 1000 delux that Coeur d alene Honda received. 3 days after I took delivery of the 1000 the 700 was done and ready to go. My association with said dealer began even before the 700 with the purchace of a Big Red. So Cummins Pusher I can feel your pain and frustruation. I have a feeling that Honda will honor the warranty and take care of you if you have the support of your service manager. Mine was stellar and the outcome might have been different had he not been on my side. By the way the 700 and the 1000 were both their first machines. They really do like me there having bought 3 UTV's from them in the last 5 years.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Cummins Pusher and all: I owned a Pioneer 700 before I bought the Pioneer 1000. I too had a catastrofic failure with the 700, the engine and transmission grenaded one day on my way to work. No warning just a loud "BANG" and it would run no more. I had about 4500 miles on it and Honda said they had never had this happen to one of these drive trains ever. Well here is how the Warranty worked. There was no way to get another assembly from the factory so they had to dis assemble the engine and transmission complete and order every piece to be able to put the thing back together and make it run again. This process took about 4 months and I didn't have a rig until it was finished and running. Shortly after it blew up I began hearing about the 1000. Long story short I got the first 1000 delux that Coeur d alene Honda received. 3 days after I took delivery of the 1000 the 700 was done and ready to go. My association with said dealer began even before the 700 with the purchace of a Big Red. So Cummins Pusher I can feel your pain and frustruation. I have a feeling that Honda will honor the warranty and take care of you if you have the support of your service manager. Mine was stellar and the outcome might have been different had he not been on my side. By the way the 700 and the 1000 were both their first machines. They really do like me there having bought 3 UTV's from them in the last 5 years.
I remember that happening to you and thought that was really weird especially with the 700 platform. I'm sure sorry it did I know you rode a lot! I sure would've rathered this happen to me in the middle of winter but you had the same issue. The problem with Honda is that they are so dependable that every dealer in the country don't stock everything twice like "some other brands". I might have to try to figure something out here on something else meantime it's a horrible looking down the road but trying to stay positive. I guess you know why we weren't able to head your direction this weekend. Hope things are going well up there and enjoying the replacement.

Reactions: joeymt33
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Put my snorkel back on tonight lol. Even if I hadn't, I'd still drive my rig like I have from day one...any way I want lol. I refuse to baby it because of what it might do. I showed your video to my wife and her exact words were "wow you've hit bigger puddles alot faster than that" lol and she's right. This simply should not have happened. Honda will step up I just know it. My Evinrude outboard threw a rod almost exactly a month out of warranty. OMC offered me a new power head if I'd pay for labor to install. Now that was some customer service.

J

JOHNDEEREMAN

May 7, 2016
NEVADA
I just what they found with my 1000 it took a s*** about the same time cumminspusher tried to make a duck landing in the water. Mine just quit running after a trip to mountain and back act like it run out of fuel. The code that came up when i got it to dealer was bad injecters when they got to looking at them the electrical plugs were never snapped on all the way, so they said you have to push hard to get them locked in checked some ground wires sent me home im dam glad it didnt happen 100 + miles out in nev desert from what ive read seems like they have a few electrical problems were going to push on love it so far

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Put my snorkel back on tonight lol. Even if I hadn't, I'd still drive my rig like I have from day one...any way I want lol. I refuse to baby it because of what it might do. I showed your video to my wife and her exact words were "wow you've hit bigger puddles alot faster than that" lol and she's right. This simply should not have happened. Honda will step up I just know it. My Evinrude outboard threw a rod almost exactly a month out of warranty. OMC offered me a new power head if I'd pay for labor to install. Now that was some customer service.
thank you @Delton !

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I just what they found with my 1000 it took a s*** about the same time cumminspusher tried to make a duck landing in the water. Mine just quit running after a trip to mountain and back act like it run out of fuel. The code that came up when i got it to dealer was bad injecters when they got to looking at them the electrical plugs were never snapped on all the way, so they said you have to push hard to get them locked in checked some ground wires sent me home im dam glad it didnt happen 100 + miles out in nev desert from what ive read seems like they have a few electrical problems were going to push on love it so far
I'm glad you got that back going it sucks it was so simple and overlooked. Now you can start laying down some miles!!

J

JOHNDEEREMAN

May 7, 2016
NEVADA
i was hoping yours was that simple but life is not always the way we like it when talking sxs but fun when working right good luck to ya in getting it back and running

advertisement