P1000 Catastrophic failure

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For anyone thats interested, I ordered one to use one of these on my snorkel kit from Triangle ATV, it is water resistant, yet allows air to flow freely. They have a 3" version, could maybe get it to fit at the front even with the stock intake as a barrier from splashing at least.

Snorkel Guard water repellent Snorkel tips

Reactions: X4Dice
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Great find amc! Very easy application if it fits in there. Could you test that and report back before the snorkel install?

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I already have my snorkel kit installed, and mine comes up by the passenger seat and exits facing right into the bed so it was getting dust and crap swirled around it, I have a few pics in my build thread if you'd like to see. The cap came in Friday but I am traveling to Oregon for a week so it'll be a bit before I get it on. I did test it under a little splash of water and it literally just pooled up on it. But my snorkel kit comes with a drain in its lowest point so I just got it to keep dirt, mud, and larger particles from getting into the air box.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yes nice job I guess I didn't realize just how many were already doing snorkels. I think that stuff is like the frog skins that early Polaris's used. i wonder just how well it would work for heavy splash on the nose under heavy throttle? Might be a good thing to look into! That good thinking

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes nice job I guess I didn't realize just how many were already doing snorkels. I think that stuff is like the frog skins that early Polaris's used. i wonder just how well it would work for heavy splash on the nose under heavy throttle? Might be a good thing to look into! That good thinking

I think if you took your idea of removing the black cover under the hood and adding a 90-115 degree coupling on the top of the stock intake location with one of the snorkel caps you would be fine under most conditions unless completely submerged, as long as it didn't starve for air under the hood.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You just gave Honda the fix

Reactions: joeymt33
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Sorry to hear about your machine, man. Like everyone else, I'm curious on what caused all the water to get in. I ride through a lot of water also and haven't gotten around to snorkeling mine yet. Have you looked at any mods you have done that might have funneled the water toward the intake. If I remember correctly, the opening is under the hood compartment on one of the pre filter sides. Just can't remember which side.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya it's on the right side. I did go through the nose a little at the dealer and I don't have anything other then wire infront of the intake. I'm pretty sure it's what came off of the radiator from the tire. I really wish I had access to one so I could look into it some more

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just a heads up. I heard back from Mudd Man via Youtube on the Wolverine he was jumping into and out of that puddle. It didn't have any ill effects at all.

So there has to be something else wrong here. The Wolverine (higher) and Pioneer (lower) both have air intakes in similar locations so I would think that they both would pull in water under similar circumstances and he jumped that Wolverine in there several times.

Definitely stay after Honda and make sure they give you a very good explanation as to how that would happen. I still think there is water coming in somewhere else.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Crowhunter good to still here from you. Hopefully your liking the new machine. Thank you for looking into that. I'm doing all I can. Hopefully I'll know more tomorrow. Honda rep did call me today and was very nice however the dealer isn't open till tomorrow.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
advertisement
SheepCreekAK

SheepCreekAK

Apr 20, 2016
Anchorage Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went ahead and checked all clamps from the hood to the throttle bodies and gave them all a 1/2 round or more to make sure they're right.

Sent from my iPad 7G
that's interesting because i was on my second ride from just picking mine up and a coolant line blow off. the clamp was hand tight. I ask the dealer to over the whole machine and tighten all the hose. i think I'm going to check them next time i get a chance.

Reactions: joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The verdict from corporate is in and they will not be taking care of this machine. Apparently I maliciously swamped it. According to corporate there are no other cases of this machine hydrolocking and the case is closed. The service dept says it can't be closed until they close it. Honda will not be taking any responsibility for the poor intake design at all and they apparently are "not working on a different design because there hasn't been an issue "

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The verdict from corporate is in and they will not be taking care of this machine. Apparently I maliciously swamped it. According to corporate there are no other cases of this machine hydrolocking and the case is closed. The service dept says it can't be closed until they close it. Honda will not be taking any responsibility for the poor intake design at all and they apparently are "not working on a different design because there hasn't been an issue "
You should start a go fund me page!

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Man I hate to hear that! Just talked to them about my busted floor. They said it is polyethylene and have no idea what to repair it with, but they were polite if that makes a difference.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Was the video submitted and reviewed concerning their decision?

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Was the video submitted and reviewed concerning their decision?
I got them to send out the local rep to look at the video and the machine there apparently is no way to send that to Honda but he won't be there for two weeks but corporate says case is over so not sure why he's coming out. He also told my dealer there has been no known cases however my dealer has talk to several others that say different

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You should start a go fund me page!
Thanks sharp but at the end of the day it only is what it is and everyone is healthy and for us it's not used for work so it's not hindering me that way but I'm pissed off. Especially by what they say

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Man I hate to hear that! Just talked to them about my busted floor. They said it is polyethylene and have no idea what to repair it with, but they were polite if that makes a difference.
@cwalton seriously try what I suggested. I've been in auto body for 25 years and have dealt with plastic a lot. It's tough to get adhesion but can be done:)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I hate to hear that. If there is anyone on this board they should take care of its you. A Honda man through and through!
Still am!

advertisement