P1000m5 What did you add to/do with your Pioneer 1000 5 today?

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Turns out my spare Superwinch was more than full of mud. It previously stopped going to free spool and it was full of mud. It also had a broken magnet mount and the motor was locked up with corrosion and mud. Motors are indefinite back order.

Enter the replacement winch. Traveller 6000. Very similar line speed and power consumption to the Superwinch and 6000lbs pull capacity with a wireless remote. Even the wife said " it looks cooler on there"

We will see how this 3 year warranty works. I'm certain this will get used. I'm a bit worried about only 45ft of cable but give it a year and I'll have 55' of Amsteel rope on there. Otherwise there's 55' of Amsteel in my spares bag when the stock stuff comes apart. Winch definitely looks like a beast and sounds better/smoother than I expected

View attachment 318208
Only 45 feet you say? We're too infatuated with length.
I recently bought 25 feet of 3/8" Dyneema and (with Youtube) did a Mobius splice and made a super light tow rope extension.
I only had 50 feet before, but now I walk tall with more length. :cool:

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only 45 feet you say? We're too infatuated with length.
I recently bought 25 feet of 3/8" Dyneema and (with Youtube) did a Mobius splice and made a super light tow rope extension.
I only had 50 feet before, but now I walk tall with more length. :cool:
Yeah... I carry 3 snatch blocks, 50ft of strap, 100ft of extension cable and a spare winch rope, so 45ft will probably be ok

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Worst part was I put it all back together and the dash cluster was dead. Somehow the plug came out on the dash side so I got to tear it apart a second time. :rolleyes:
Horns are sooooooo easy too, I can't believe they made you have to get that deep into your front beak. Power source + to temporary button, button to horn terminal, other horn terminal to ground = beep beep!. I got my horn and button on Azon and it was easy enough for my idiot level of skills, I do like to use factory accessories but horns are just so easy. I hope your frustrations are over!

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@ToddACimer I was just reading the Q&A on your winch and guys said it wires straight to the battery without any kind of relay, and one said it burned down his battery when it shorted. Is that the case?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
@ToddACimer I was just reading the Q&A on your winch and guys said it wires straight to the battery without any kind of relay, and one said it burned down his battery when it shorted. Is that the case?
Relays can't handle the amperage that most winches draw. That's why you should connect the main lead directly to the battery and then the positive low amp lead for the contactor to a switched 12V source.

That said, while my winch primary lead is connected directly to the AUX battery, there's a fusible link in that line. While not a perfect solution, it would protect the battery if anything after the link was shorted out or damaged.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Now I'm trying to remember the wiring on my badlands. There was a box between the battery and the winch, which I assumed provided that level of protection in the circuit.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, so there's a solenoid and a circuit breaker between the winch and the battery.

advertisement
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Now I'm trying to remember the wiring on my badlands. There was a box between the battery and the winch, which I assumed provided that level of protection in the circuit.
Yup. My Badland ZXR5000 was purchased last fall. The primary positive cable supplied with it has some sort of fusible link in it (red square shaped box). No solenoid or circuit breaker. Adding the latter doesn't sound like it would provide much additional protection over the fusible link, other than any part of the wire between the breaker and the fusible link.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Digging a little deeper, it appears winches can use a solenoid or a contactor. (Your Badlands has the solenoid, Scoop.) The solenoid plays the role of a relay, just heavier duty. Maybe the Traveler uses some kind of internal contactor?

Reactions: Scoop
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wiring diagram for the Badlands 5000 zxr (same winch I have.)

Screenshot 20220209 105729

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Digging a little deeper, it appears winches can use a solenoid or a contactor. (Your Badlands has the solenoid, Scoop.)
My Badland solenoid/contactor looks EXACTLY like the contactor (or solenoid) that came with the Superwinch Terra3500SR that I installed on my Grizzly 700 back in 2014, as well as the one that came with the Warn ProPivot (power side-to-side) that I added to it as well.

The instructions with the Superwinch specifically called it a contactor. I dunno. As my mother-in-law says, 'Don't make me no nevermind." It works. :)

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's a winch solenoid under the cover above the drum on the Traveller 6k. The only downside of this is the hot leads from the battery are hot all the time from the battery to the winch. With my Superwinch setup the leads to the winch were only hot while winching, because the solenoid was next to the battery. If I crush the harness from the battery to the winch it has a potential to short that doesn't exist on a winch setup with a remote solenoid. My rear winch is set up with the solenoid under hood and I'm a bit happier about that but I made sure to route the front winch cables out of harms way and I wrapped them with a cable guard.

Paul_H_L11

Paul_H_L11

Supporting Member
Jan 28, 2021
Covington, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What? No horn?

Wanted a loud horn, like an air horn, but not with the big trumpet mounted on the fender or roof. So a compact horn was in order - This one: Horn

and Horn button

Now where to mount the dang thing? It mounts with a single bolt (included) but I just couldn't find a good spot out front for the provided mount. After adding an AUX battery etc. under the hood, no room for a horn there. Inboard of the wheel well, offered some hope, but didn't want to hang it off plastic. There is a steel tube strut, inboard of the wheel and up high, that support the forward fender assembly. Fortunately, there's also a thin slot on the horn mount casting that accommodates a SS hose clamp. I used a bit of rubber hose, over the tube, to provide a shock mount and prevent any damage to tube. Cinched the hose clamp down tight and it's a nice solid "shock mounted" install. Oh, and it's loud.

View attachment 298900View attachment 298901

I linked to a black button, which I have on order, but I used a SS button I had in stock . . . might switch it out later. A relay is required. I used the relay that shipped with the wiring harness, but didn't use the included wiring as I wanted heavier wire (12 GA).

View attachment 298902
Inside the left front fender, that only requires you to pull a few rivets, there is a lot of free space, actually inside both fenders have room.

Paul_H_L11

Paul_H_L11

Supporting Member
Jan 28, 2021
Covington, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
advertisement