P500 P500's a real pita in the cold

J

Jshell3

Plowed with the P5 for the first time last night. Had about 6" on the ground and it was still snowing pretty good. It didn't even break a sweat with a KFI 66" on the front.
Full windshield is on the list now. Face was getting blasted on certain runs and couldn't see sh**.
Wasn't as nimble as the quad but pushes a lot more snow. Thanks to this forum for the reverse lever mod, couldn't imagine having to pull that lever every time.
Found myself using L gear View attachment 28387 to plow, just easier shifting, click click between forward and reverse.
Gimme the mod on rev, plz.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Had 4-5" here, similar setup as trigger's the 66" is awesome and so is the reverse mod! 10" or so up at fishing camp had to get some supplies I left too late this fall so plough out a parking area for ice fishing and wolf calling while getting provisions snow was older consolidated granular temp was -18 C or 0 F no problems at all. So much fun ploughing snow.

jrc

Reactions: trigger
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Jshell.... take hood off and find the adjustment for the reverse lever, undo locknut and adjust cable such that its adjusted so you have no need to pull lever. Meaning tighten slack and then some, on mine was at the limit, then tighten lock nut and you're good to go. Just ensure you are stopped fully prior to changing direction, I don't think it would shift to R unless fully stopped anyways but to be sure I always stop fully. This adjustment enables you to shift into reverse without having to pull the lever.

jrc

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Jshell.... take hood off and find the adjustment for the reverse lever, undo locknut and adjust cable such that its adjusted so you have no need to pull lever. Meaning tighten slack and then some, on mine was at the limit, then tighten lock nut and you're good to go. Just ensure you are stopped fully prior to changing direction, I don't think it would shift to R unless fully stopped anyways but to be sure I always stop fully. This adjustment enables you to shift into reverse without having to pull the lever.

jrc

It will let you shift into reverse and gives you a good clunk when it does it. Plowing my driveway is a few long runs and a lot of short ones. Lots of forward and reverse shifting, may have jumped a little too early a couple of times.

Reactions: Jshell3 and rocmar
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
You'll love the windshield. ....

So what is the best full shield out there? I've seen a lot of discussion on here about it but didn't really have a particular interest, now...
The Honda hardcoat is over $400. :eek:
Hey..bro
if I need to borrow a
cord...I'll give ya a
shout.....ha

Yeah, many years of running work and cords left behind. I've given away that many or more.
Never know when you'll need them and hate throwing good sh** out.

Reactions: Shadesmn and rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
So what is the best full shield out there? I've seen a lot of discussion on here about it but didn't really have a particular interest, now...

Yeah, many years of running work and cords left behind. I've given away that many or more.

That's wat my wife paid
for ours....or close to it
but ...the difference without
one..well worth every penny
I got honda roof & the honda
tip out...contours to the top
for pretty good seal...it does
scratch...but glass is my end
goal...

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Armour lite
has that glass one
$840.....to my door
good chunk of change
its a Tipout BadAss.....one day
8D46BDCA 12B3 63FD A79D4318B5B899E2

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500

I run the superatv full ws and it's awesome in the cold weather. Had I known the tip out version they make now was in the works I'd have waited and gotten it instead. The solid was the only option when I got mine as there weren't many accessories of any kind available yet. It's warm in the summer, and dusty... but it's easy to remove too if you want to go without in the heat. @JTW put the tip out one on his p500, before he jumped ship...;), and said it was great. He wrote up a review on it as well.

Reactions: trigger and rocmar
J

JTW

I run the superatv full ws and it's awesome in the cold weather. Had I known the tip out version they make now was in the works I'd have waited and gotten it instead. The solid was the only option when I got mine as there weren't many accessories of any kind available yet. It's warm in the summer, and dusty... but it's easy to remove too if you want to go without in the heat. @JTW put the tip out one on his p500, before he jumped ship...;), and said it was great. He wrote up a review on it as well.
I'm buying two more for the 1000's!!

Reactions: trigger
advertisement
DFABane

DFABane

Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
A real annoyance to me is the throttle cut out for shifting until they are warmed up. Seems to be especially bad on the new auto.
Everytime you take off in first/low, then try to shift to second, the throttle cut out makes the engine stall. Start it up and take off, try to shift, same thing again. So then a person has to stay in the same gear until it warms up a little.
The ES on the 4 wheelers don't have that cut out and shift just fine when they are cold.
Hopefully somebody will come up with a way to do away with it.

My 2017 works great as long as I leave it in Auto...