Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'll see if I can arrange that this weekend. May have to task one of the kids to video, my wife would just tell me I'm stupid if I asked her to take a video :confused:;).
That's funny @Shadesmn! But I know exactly what you are saying...I asked my wife to video me riding the PoPo through some big snow drifts in the yard. When I was done she said..."Probably looked cooler in your head":eek::mad:

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Exactly...heavy eye rolls and all to go with it. Especially if I say it has to do with the forum... last week she asked me if I need an intervention :eek:. She just doesn't get it, some people weren't meant to hang with the cool kids;).

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I get the same thing on this end! a lot of times I react to some of the funny stuff the guys say to one another and my wife does the eye roll and asks me what I'm laughing at...and then after I tell her she doesn't find what I tell her funny. She just doesn't get it!;)

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Mine does the same thing. I've discovered a work around. I start out in L because I try to be as nice as possible to the centrifugal clutch. I get rolling, rev it up a bit in the rpm range, then let off quite a bit as I shift to 2nd. Almost always works. Once it warms up this is no longer necessary. Anybody else have the same results?

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Mine does the same thing. I've discovered a work around. I start out in L because I try to be as nice as possible to the centrifugal clutch. I get rolling, rev it up a bit in the rpm range, then let off quite a bit as I shift to 2nd. Almost always works. Once it warms up this is no longer necessary. Anybody else have the same results?
That seems like about what it takes when mine acts up. I just don't like revving it up so high, just to make the shift.

Reactions: Eltobgi
IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
That seems like about what it takes when mine acts up. I just don't like revving it up so high, just to make the shift.

I'm not red lining it by any means. Just a little higher than I normally would shift.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I'm not red lining it by any means. Just a little higher than I normally would shift.
I'm probably not either...just seems like it's revving high when it is geared so low and you can run through them so quick. When it's warm that is. Moving slow and revving high just seems like it's revving higher, probably isn't though

J

Jshell3

I get the same thing on this end! a lot of times I react to some of the funny stuff the guys say to one another and my wife does the eye roll and asks me what I'm laughing at...and then after I tell her she doesn't find what I tell her funny. She just doesn't get it!;)
Mine does too... Wife I mean.
I'll laugh.
She's like, "What?"
"These guys are funny."
But Then I find it difficult to explain just "Why these guys are funny..."

But y'all are funny, anyways. Ha!

advertisement
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I've always considered 1st on the P500 as a creeper gear. I can see you would be in it for snow plowing, but then wouldn't need to shift to 2nd, much until the driveway is done. Reversed is matched to 1st. What oil grade are you running for the winter?

Reactions: Shadesmn
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'll see if I can arrange that this weekend. May have to task one of the kids to video, my wife would just tell me I'm stupid if I asked her to take a video :confused:;).
HAHAHA that's funny cuz I feel the same way... that's why I don't get a lot of cool vids to post... my wife is like a teenager when it comes to taking pictures and videos of everything. I'm just too embarrassed to ask! haha This site is the closest thing to "social media" that I would even consider looking at!

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I've always considered 1st on the P500 as a creeper gear. I can see you would be in it for snow plowing, but then wouldn't need to shift to 2nd, much until the driveway is done. Reversed is matched to 1st. What oil grade are you running for the winter?
Im running AMSOIL. I forget the weight off the top of my head, but its their atv/utv stuff. I run their oil in all my stuff. Truck, van, bike and sxs. Been using it for 15 years.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I want to swap the diff oil too, just havent yet.

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
A real annoyance to me is the throttle cut out for shifting until they are warmed up. Seems to be especially bad on the new auto.
Everytime you take off in first/low, then try to shift to second, the throttle cut out makes the engine stall. Start it up and take off, try to shift, same thing again. So then a person has to stay in the same gear until it warms up a little.
The ES on the 4 wheelers don't have that cut out and shift just fine when they are cold.
Hopefully somebody will come up with a way to do away with it.
Would a oil pan heater help

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

That would be BadAss

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Im running AMSOIL. I forget the weight off the top of my head, but its their atv/utv stuff. I run their oil in all my stuff. Truck, van, bike and sxs. Been using it for 15 years.

What I was wondering was, were you using a 40W or higher for summer use, vs a 30W. Thicker oil needs to warm up longer.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Wanna see the P5
push a 66" plow snow
....curious

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
My habit is neutral. ..when I park
it...then shift to 2nd to head out
....unless low is needed

Reactions: Shadesmn
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
What I was wondering was, were you using a 40W or higher for summer use, vs a 30W. Thicker oil needs to warm up longer.
I'll have to look in the garage when i get home, i think its a 40 weight though.. i want to say 0w40..

advertisement