P500 p5 suspension

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
No I unhooked the sway bar right after I bought it.
Thanks. I did the same. Now with the air shocks, I do notice a little more body roll with mine- nothing spooky yet, but I haven't run mine with the shocks seeing each other with the doubles yet either. Did it make much difference with yours in that regard? I just might (hopefully) get the remainder of my parts this week to finish the system, and I bought a snorkel kit from sideXside stuff.com to install as well.

B

Brooks

Mar 20, 2016
Smiths
New toys came I n the mail

20170201 171020

Reactions: JWB and Chooglin
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
A 1000 miles.... that alone makes me wanna hang my head in shame...:( I have a little over 500 miles on mine now, as of yesterday. Did some serious bush bashing yesterday thrashing the new air ride set-up, and although the air system works fantastic, we ended up winching out twice- once kind of expected, and, as I stated before about the "screwing up often" thing, ya, you gotta remember to be in 4WD before you enter the vertical wall creek-bed... got that bit of brilliance on video too! It was all fun, until I saw that something had crushed the joke of a radiator protector, and drove one side of the radiator back about 2". Can't believe it isn't leaking or interfering with the fan! Still had a great day, got some good vids of the suspension, and added about 200lbs of mud and debris to the P500. I need to live closer to some real trails, get a new radiator, and build some better protection for it! One more thing I verified as indisputable- no amount of suspension improvement will take the place of a locking front differential when one wheel is in mush, and the other on solid ground. Need that ****** locker!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
A 1000 miles.... that alone makes me wanna hang my head in shame...:( I have a little over 500 miles on mine now, as of yesterday. Did some serious bush bashing yesterday thrashing the new air ride set-up, and although the air system works fantastic, we ended up winching out twice- once kind of expected, and, as I stated before about the "screwing up often" thing, ya, you gotta remember to be in 4WD before you enter the vertical wall creek-bed... got that bit of brilliance on video too! It was all fun, until I saw that something had crushed the joke of a radiator protector, and drove one side of the radiator back about 2". Can't believe it isn't leaking or interfering with the fan! Still had a great day, got some good vids of the suspension, and added about 200lbs of mud and debris to the P500. I need to live closer to some real trails, get a new radiator, and build some better protection for it! One more thing I verified as indisputable- no amount of suspension improvement will take the place of a locking front differential when one wheel is in mush, and the other on solid ground. Need that ****** locker!
For my riding, I just need stability, would you speak a little more to the stability of the P5 with the new total air suspension? Thanks JWB.

advertisement
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
For my riding, I just need stability, would you speak a little more to the stability of the P5 with the new total air suspension? Thanks JWB.
I would say that the air suspension definitely makes the machine more stable as far as traversing obstacles due to the fact that the tires are able to follow the contours of the terrain independently of the body of the machine, so instead of the whole machine tipping to one side as a wheel goes over a big obstacle, or into a deep rut, the suspension is able to 'absorb' the terrain change without, or at least reducing dramatically the amount of reaction transmitted to the body. As far as stability in a corner, or 'rollover' resistance, that is ultimately a function of center of gravity, and to a lesser degree the suspension.(in general). Due to the adjustability of the air ride system, you can actually lower the center of gravity by lowering the ride height and make the machine 'more stable'. You can also lower the side of the machine that's on the 'high side' of a slope while driving across a steep incline- did it yesterday- Very Cool! I did some hard cornering with the suspension lifted near the top of it's travel, and although there is definitely more 'body roll' than the stock pogo sticks it came with, it's not scary- I had the Princess with me, and there was no imaginary brake peddle slamming or death grip on the hand bar, or screams, so I know it wasn't too scary;)... I don't know how it would be with stock tires and wheels.

J

jwalters51090

Feb 16, 2017
London KY
Ownership

1. 500
How Cool Is This!! Tell us your opinion of the difference in ride. By the look of the pics, I assume the shocks are 'seeing' each other. Did you install valves to switch them to isolated? Your tires look big. What sizes are you running, and have you had any interference issues after the shock mod? Have you done anything additional to protect the air lines? Don't mean to interrogate you, but it is so cool to see other machines with this mod! If you're talking about the pics with a wheel on the jack- that was me.

I just want to know who I send my P500 and money to! So they can set mine up like this I'm about to die here in Ky. Please someone help me out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CumminsPusher
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
i can modify your front arms if you send them to me but the rears are more involved i would need your machine

Reactions: CumminsPusher
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I just want to know who I send my P500 and money to! So they can set mine up like this I'm about to die here in Ky. Please someone help me out!!

It's really not that hard to do, but I keep an old mill/lathe combo machine handy for projects and that really helped, I think getting the bushings right took the most time.
If you have a hobby lathe it makes turning gas pipe into bushings pretty easy. Those are fun and can be had pretty cheap.

If I recall the air shocks don't come with a bushing on the bottom, so you will need to make 4 of those and also the 4 spacers that fits where the single shock went to prevent the bracket from collapsing. And then drilling out the top mount is a bit tricky, I used a step drill bit on a small ratchet. You will also need to clearance the top of the frame/core support area so you can get the nut on the end of the top shock bolt. Ill see if I can get a picture of that.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

It really is a DIY project, and this thread is full of help along the way.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500

If you wanna drag it to Solomons MD - I'll be happy to do the whole air ride system for you. I could possibly send a complete kit.

Reactions: pFive
advertisement