P500 p5 suspension

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
YES! I'm obsessing on the locker! - It's a disease, NOT an addiction! and the cure is.... never mind:rolleyes:

Reactions: jak9922
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
i know how to just cant make it cost affordable
Ya. I'm just about ready to chuck up a piece of steel in the milling machine and start whittling it into a detroit locker, and really don't like those things. It should only take me about 30 tries and a couple hundred hours. I work for a Honda Marine shop, maybe my Honda Rep. knows someone to contact and pester to death about this.... Sorry about going off topic guys.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
no i hear ya but you can make the 700 locker work with different gearing and longer a arms with custom axles lol

Reactions: JWB
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
4-500 for dif with gearing 500+ axles 500+ custom a arms ect

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
no i hear ya but you can make the 700 locker work with different gearing and longer a arms with custom axles lol
The machine just wouldn't be the same, and not in a good way I.M.O. I really really like this machine and don't want alter it's overall size more than I already have with the wheels and tires I've installed, and I really don't want to have the machine torn down repeatedly trying to cobble some kind of locker. Maybe I'll buy another front diff, and play with that....

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
not really changing much or cobbling anything ur looking at min 2 inches wider to keep the same geometry which you can make up with offset rims and the gear set will fit from your p5 to the 700 elock dif you would need to extend to arms to make up for the shortened passenger side axle

advertisement
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
4-500 for dif with gearing 500+ axles 500+ custom a arms ect
Do you know if the ring and pinion from the 500 diff will fit the 700's case? I definitely don't want to change the gear ratio. Most of my (favorite) riding is crawling over obstacles and breaking trails in heavy woods- need that low,low, gear.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
from what im looking at they should swap but its untested unproven so its a big should also i was looking at shifting the dif to the driver side to shorten then driver axle and lengthening the passenger to make them more equal but still all just thought as of right now i dont have deep enough pockets to test this

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
not really changing much or cobbling anything ur looking at min 2 inches wider to keep the same geometry which you can make up with offset rims and the gear set will fit from your p5 to the 700 elock dif you would need to extend to arms to make up for the shortened passenger side axle
You got me thinking now. If it's possible to off-set the diff towards the longer half-shaft side by adding cv joints near the ends of the driveshaft, it may be possible to just shorten the long half-shaft slightly and keep everything else where it is. I'll be taking mine to work with me tomorrow to replace the radiator. I'll take a closer look at it then. The e-lok would be sooo cool! Who's gonna go first!?

Reactions: jak9922 and pFive
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
You got me thinking now. If it's possible to off-set the diff towards the longer half-shaft side by adding cv joints near the ends of the driveshaft, it may be possible to just shorten the long half-shaft slightly and keep everything else where it is. I'll be taking mine to work with me tomorrow to replace the radiator. I'll take a closer look at it then. The e-lok would be sooo cool! Who's gonna go first!?
see i got your wheels turning now dont i lol its a vicious spiral down the rabbit hole lol

J

jwalters51090

Feb 16, 2017
London KY
Ownership

1. 500
see i got your wheels turning now dont i lol its a vicious spiral down the rabbit hole lol

This guy can make anyone spiral outta control I want mine exactly like his!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jak9922
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Had a chance to evaluate the air shock conversion yesterday at a buddy's house, he has an MX track and a creek etc... Awesome. Even the guys that I ride with that are/were skeptical about the P5 were there to see first hand were amazed and how much improvement it made. The track had a series of "Whoops" that would typically hurt in a P5, they were big enough to cause the front shocks to spring bind at speed, but with these shocks I went fast enough to blow my hat off. I am not going to call it "Supple", but it was a huge improvement. FYI I still have the stock rear shocks and no sway bar. As far as articulation its a monster improvement. I can now shove one wheel all the way up until the shock runs out of stroke and keep the other 3 wheels on the ground (with the hoke open). I found a large rock and with two riders we would put one front tire up on the rock with the hoke closed and drive up it till the one rear wheel lifted and we could feel the buggy rock back n forth, but then I opened the HOKE and it settled right down and dropped the lifted tire, so I tried it again with the valve open and had no lift off at all! Passengers were impressed. These are the same guys that would freak out when I would climb hills and have "Aggressive 3 wheel action" so to speak. It looked scary I guess, I never got to see it from the drivers seat.

On the berms and fast corners the thing feels like a rock crawler with a solid axle front end with a pivot point in the middle, the lean was really pronounced but the tires stayed planted. With the HOKE closed the cornering was much tighter and perfect for my riding style since I never go fast anyway. I went faster trying to break things yesterday than I typically ride. The only time I go fast-ish is on gravel roads etc..

My recommendation is to DO IT! a BIG THANKS TO JWB! YOU DA MAN!

Reactions: JWB and Chooglin
advertisement