P500 p5 suspension

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
can you send me the ling for those new mounts?? Did you buy same as for the front or different?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you method works, then I'm in , gonna order rear shocks too, hopefully carid will stock them , I think I would go with standard and try , I mostly ride by myself or wife sometimes and no load

Reactions: Chooglin
advertisement
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Very crude drawing , but this should give you a good idea how I will do this !
View attachment 24982
Doing the back will actually be esier than the front was !

I could be all wrong on this ,but if the shock is mounted further out the rear a arm by 3" or so does this mean the shock will have to take up almost the full travel of the wheel up and down, compared to the stock setup of the bottom mount being 3" inward and only having to deal with a smaller amount of movement up and down?
The further away you get from the swing point of the suspension .....the more travel for the shock to deal with?
How much travel is on those shocks anyways?
On the front,the bottom mount modification moved out less than half of that?

Maybe overthinking this ..... o_O

C

Chooglin

You are correct , but you also have to remember, you are changing the angle also. The more angle on the shock = less movement/compression of the shock !

Last edited by a moderator:
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
You are correct , but you also have to remember, you are changing the angle also. The more angle on the shock = less movement/compression of the shock !

So the angle will be roughly the same as jak9922 setup.
Will the shock will have a different load on it and travel more in that setup because of the further out mounting location on the a arm away from the pivot point?
I see why you were thinking about the standard shock in that setup

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Right. The greater the angle on the shock, the less "shock stroke" is required to achieve the same amount of travel. This brings up a good point though, you guys may find you need to add bump stops and/or limiting straps so as not to overextend the cv. By angling the shock you are increasing total wheel travel which is awesome (and gives me an idea for my 700) but by how much?? I have no idea.

You all should be good on down travel because of how you installed the shocks, but up travel may be too much now? I might look into bump stops because, even if you don't think you will, you're going to try to jump your p5 eventually once you have suspension that will handle it!!

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
i have few hundred miles on my set up and travel has been perfect i set the shock up for the lowest ( full extention) point i wanted the a arms at and have ever even with the way i ride over compressed to where i needed bump stops but i see where ur going @Tflynn if they were longer travel shock then yes 100% agree but the rhino had very limited travel like the p5 which made them a good choice to start

Reactions: Tflynn
C

Chooglin

@solrus don't order any shock mounts just yet.

I just ordered another pair that I think will work even better !

Reactions: solrus
C

Chooglin

"No more jumping monkeys on the bed " . :). Just ride , no jumps on my p500.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I am a puddle jumper :)

I don't jump mine either , I am just looking for a nice suspension for the trails. I hate the fact that I need to slow way down , when I see a dip or bump up ahead !

Reactions: solrus and jak9922
advertisement