New Talon Pre-filter Snorkel

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'd recommend that you only offer color for the above-the-fender portion. Leave all of the below-fender tubes in black, as they'll be covered anyway. That would simplify your inventory concerns.

Steve
It's all one piece. Powder coating it two different colors would get pricey quick.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Dropped of all the tubes I got welded this weekend for powder coat today. Picking up tomorrow. These were all black.

Painter said he will get some Talon Blue powder and next week (or when the powder arrives) we'll do a few blue tubes. I'll add these to the website soon so if anyone wants to pre-order blue then they can. I'm only painting 3 blue this time to test demand.

These parts are relatively small in the big picture so painting 2 different colors is probably more trouble and costly, as Slowpoke stated. That only makes sense. It's just a shame that 95% of the color is hidden. I did not want to only half paint the tubes either and leave the hidden part aluminum because that would look stupid.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Picked up a few Talon Blue tubes from powder coat yesterday. They look great. Got them listed on the website. Haven't had time to take pics yet but there are some from Micah earlier in this thread. Busy at work and every evening this week so far with something. This evening I have to load up and pack up for our trip to hidden falls texas this weekend.

Soon I'll be revising this listing to separate the intake tubes from the pre-filters. Inventory tracking is quite troublesome with the option to buy a tube without a filter so I'll just separate them with links to one another.

I only have one filter and cover left on hand so I'm hoping next week my very large stocking order from the manufacturer ships. The filters and covers are coming from different manufactureres but should arrive near the same time. Otherwise, customers will need to provide their own 3" filter until I receive my order. Tubes are not a problem right now.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
I see you mention that the inner fender can be reinstalled. Why is it needed? There isn't one on the left side of the Talon. I thought it was only needed to help direct air into the (goofy) factory air intake system.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I ran my talon without the Inner fender for a couple months while fitting the intake components. It’s not a necessity but I prefer the look with the inner fender in place. It appears to help supper the fender also.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Air filter pics after dusty Texas ride. I was in the front of the pack navigating. I still had dust all over in the cab. My phone was dirty enough for the Face ID to not work most of the time.

I am using the desertcraft prefilter.

My oem air filter which is the same since our November Arkansas ride and everything since.

966DAF8F 8A28 4708 94C4 70096A1EA420

50CCB09E 4118 4D30 A78C 9FA7A30B0D65

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
My father-in-law talon air filter after Texas. This is a new bike so this was his first ride beside just around home. He was running in 12th position out of 12, dead last in bad dust. He is running an R2C filter with a taller snorkel.

631C6D07 D2B2 48CE 8F33 1B3982BEABC5

It looks like the pleat edges are the dirtiest. I can’t even imagine what this filter would have looked like without the prefilter. He was expecting far worse when he opened the air box.

The third talon will be reporting to me soon. He was running in the middle of the group with a desertcraft filter.

All of us were running pre-filters so we didn’t have a stock talon for comparison.

Last edited:
BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
I installed the Pre-Filter and a brand new Honda Filter just to see how much AZ Dust would get thru after a 100 mi. ride. Below is that filter. I used an air hose to show the dirt. I then blew out the pre-filter and while I couldn't see it before using the air, I got 2-3 times the amount of dirt out than what could be seen on the Honda green filter (before I started blowing it out).
For those of you that think "the Green filter is too dirty after only 100 miles", I wish I could show how bad it looked after my first (stock setup) ride in AZ. The filter below is a HUGE improvement! I recommend that everyone who has a Talon to remove the stock air intake system and install a pre-filter system.
20220401 200933
You won't regret it!!!

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I ran my talon without the Inner fender for a couple months while fitting the intake components. It’s not a necessity but I prefer the look with the inner fender in place. It appears to help supper the fender also.
With the inner fender installed I can get the mud cleaned out up in there easier than with it not installed.

Reactions: BobFarrell
advertisement
BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
With the inner fender installed I can get the mud cleaned out up in there easier than with it not installed.
Good point! In AZ, we don't have much mud but we've got a LOT of dust.

Reactions: Stilly1155
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
My custom filters have shipped from the manufacturing plant to Desertcraft. They will perform a quick QC check and then forward them to me. Sometime during the week of 4-11-22 I should have these filters to begin shipping again. Now if I can get the filter cover people to ship those about the same time. Timing with of these different vendors has proven to be a challenge, especially after the Covid interruption!

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
My custom filters have shipped from the manufacturing plant to Desertcraft. They will perform a quick QC check and then forward them to me. Sometime during the week of 4-11-22 I should have these filters to begin shipping again. Now if I can get the filter cover people to ship those about the same time. Timing with of these different vendors has proven to be a challenge, especially after the Covid interruption!
Do you have options in filter cover colors or are they all black??

Reactions: Smitty335
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Do you have options in filter cover colors or are they all black??
I've partnered with Filterwears for the filter covers. They will be making these with my logo and they will be all black. I can get red, blue, and yellow colors anytime but they will not have the logos.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
I've partnered with Filterwears for the filter covers. They will be making these with my logo and they will be all black. I can get red, blue, and yellow colors anytime but they will not have the logos.
I just purched and installed the Primary Filter (works great!!!). Do you have ordering details and prices on your website? I didn't see any option when I ordered mine. I've got the (Orange) 2021 Talon X.
Thanks!!!!

Reactions: Smitty335
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I just purched and installed the Primary Filter (works great!!!). Do you have ordering details and prices on your website? I didn't see any option when I ordered mine. I've got the (Orange) 2021 Talon X.
Thanks!!!!
For the quantity I am required to purchase these, logos will only be on black filter covers. The blue and red covers will probably match Honda colors close enough but the orange is way to light to look correct. I'll look into adding colors but if I am required to buy a stack of them then I'll only offer black. I've not received any inquiries for other colors. The pre-filters alone are a huge investment for me!

Reactions: CID and BobFarrell
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
These are oiless filters.
On my website I have listed the intake tube and filters separately now so I can keep track of inventory easier. Each has a link to the other to get the full kit. The way the website works is great but when adding options inventory gets tricky.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Quick question, was just wondering if anyone felt like machine gets choked down at all riding in heavy rain or in really wet conditions. Has anyone rode in conditions like that without a Frogskin? I realize it’s covered somewhat by the roof.

Reactions: BobFarrell
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Quick question, was just wondering if anyone felt like machine gets choked down at all riding in heavy rain or in really wet conditions. Has anyone rode in conditions like that without a Frogskin? I realize it’s covered somewhat by the roof.
See Adams post earlier in this thread about riding in wet conditions.

The filter covers are water resistant to an extent. They can repel rain but I doubt a serious gully washer downpour. Hopefully you're not riding in that anyway! The Desertcraft air filter itself I am told will not collapse by water like a normal air filter. I'd recommend using the filter cover anyway. And when washing the machine, cover the pre-filter with a plastic bag. Pressurized water will definately push though the filter cover and filter. If that happens, drain the air box.

advertisement