Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
They probably offer instructions for removing it. I bet they start something like this…
Start your plasma cutter at the roofline of the driver’s side of the machine and move slowly in a straight line to the bottom passenger side of the window with plasma cutter on highest possible level.
Something like that… 🤣🤣🤣🤣

BlacktopBurner

BlacktopBurner

Judge Of Others
Lifetime Member
May 21, 2024
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And while it also has the new logo, it’s about as unobtrusive as it can be.

View attachment 432876
Mine’s quite a bit higher….
IMG 4236

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Still looks stupid

They probably offer instructions for removing it. I bet they start something like this…
Start your plasma cutter at the roofline of the driver’s side of the machine and move slowly in a straight line to the bottom passenger side of the window with plasma cutter on highest possible level.

Whoever signed off/came up with the placement on these should have to come to takeover next year wearing a billboard sign taking responsibility.

I'll bring the tar, you bring the feathers. Big ole thumbs down, SATV.
will-ferrell-anchorman.gif

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
After checking the P1K air filter it made me curious on how the Talon held up. Only had one 50ish mile ride prior to the 10-80 pre filter install. Was really expecting it to be pretty clean, if not near new. I guess that Fl dirt road dust is just too fine for a dry pre filter?

IMG 8081

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
After checking the P1K air filter it made me curious on how the Talon held up. Only had one 50ish mile ride prior to the 10-80 pre filter install. Was really expecting it to be pretty clean, if not near new. I guess that Fl dirt road dust is just too fine for a dry pre filter?

View attachment 435097
Guess I better check mine then

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

View attachment 435097
u don't know that - that filter coulda been loaded from the 50 mile trip if it was dusty

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
u don't know that - that filter coulda been loaded from the 50 mile trip if it was dusty
You are correct, I did not look at it before installing the pre filter. I’m not knocking the 10-80 set up at all. I blew a ton of dust out it. I’ll replace it and check it again after next trip.

advertisement
GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You are correct, I did not look at it before installing the pre filter. I’m not knocking the 10-80 set up at all. I blew a ton of dust out it. I’ll replace it and check it again after next trip.
Did you have the pre-filter at TO? As dusty as it was that week I wouldn’t be surprised with those results if it wasn’t installed.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I installed my 10-80 pre-filter kit 8 days after i picked up the Talon, maybe a dozen or two miles on it.

432 miles later, I just pulled the OEM filter. There was definitely a fair amount of VERY fine dust/dirt behind the OEM filter. The OEM filter itself was pretty coated, too. Nothing had made it through the OEM filter, as the other side was clean as a whistle. I didn't expect to see that much inside the airbox, though. Then again, I've only had the Talon for less than 1 year.

How often do you all clean your prefilter and how do you clean it?

20240629 211819
20240629 211830

Last edited:
Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I installed my 10-80 pre-filter kit 8 days after i picked up the Talon, maybe a dozen or two miles on it.

432 miles later, I just pulled the OEM filter. There was definitely a fair amount of VERY fine dust/dirt behind the OEM filter. The OEM filter itself was pretty coated, too. Nothing had made it through the OEM filter, as the other side was clean as a whistle. I didn't expect to see that much inside the airbox, though. Then again, I've only had the Talon for less than 1 year.

How often do you all clean your prefilter and how do you clean it?

View attachment 435171
View attachment 435172
I just used compressed air to blow it out from the inside.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I just used compressed air to blow it out from the inside.
I reached out to @highpocket74 on my situation. Turns out I don't know a damn thing about how to properly maintain this pre-filter setup, and my expectations of a dry filter were unrealistic.

Basically, this is all on me. In my defense, I've only used oiled filters in the past. Completely different than dry reusable filters.

Now that I have that information and background on the Desertcraft filters, I'll be following a more rigorous routine, both in the field maintenance and for full-on cleaning.

I did order a couple new OEM filters, but will probably blow this one out and see what it looks like. Not sure if the instructions molded into the filter about NOT blowing it out with compressed air are for any reason other than Homds convincing people to buy more filters.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I reached out to @highpocket74 on my situation. Turns out I don't know a damn thing about how to properly maintain this pre-filter setup, and my expectations of a dry filter were unrealistic.

Basically, this is all on me. In my defense, I've only used oiled filters in the past. Completely different than dry reusable filters.

Now that I have that information and background on the Desertcraft filters, I'll be following a more rigorous routine, both in the field maintenance and for full-on cleaning.

I did order a couple new OEM filters, but will probably blow this one out and see what it looks like. Not sure if the instructions molded into the filter about NOT blowing it out with compressed air are for any reason other than Homds convincing people to buy more filters.
No clue why there is an interest to clean a filter that is uncleanable.

It’s your engine - there is a reason it states that and it’s not about selling a $40 filter.

Honda knows a thing or 2 about engines and filtration - maybe they don’t know so much about the intake placement on the talon. It only takes a small hole unseen to the naked eye in a paper filter from compressed air cleaning to let the fine dust be injested by the air pump.

Good luck.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
No clue why there is an interest to clean a filter that is uncleanable.

It’s your engine - there is a reason it states that and it’s not about selling a $40 filter.

Honda knows a thing or 2 about engines and filtration - maybe they don’t know so much about the intake placement on the talon. It only takes a small hole unseen to the naked eye in a paper filter from compressed air cleaning to let the fine dust be injested by the air pump.

Good luck.
You do you.

There could be a small unseen hole in a brand new filter, too.

In case you missed it, I did order two new filters.

Reactions: TxDoc and Backwoods
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Cleaning air filters with compressed air is a major know no. We deal with this often in our shop where someone has attempted to jump a buck resulting in complete engine failure. Only way to overcome a dusted engine is spending $$

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I wouldn’t blow out an oiled filter, not sure how effective that would be.

I did find this how to clean desert craft prefilter video. Guess I will be washing them from now on.

Reactions: Coeus and TxDoc
advertisement