JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I think your analogy is not really applicable (comparing apples to prime rib)

it’s more like: you bought a widget you’ve never seen or installed and have no clue about it but wanted to try it out… and the directions said to drill a 5/16 hole in a $600 part and then you go to install the widget only to find out it doesn’t fit… as it really needed to be a 3/16 hole… (maybe not the best analogy either) but feels more accurate in my mind 🤷‍♂️

In that case who’s fault is it?
I understood this whey better 'cept for.............wtf is a widget?!?!? 🙄😂😂😂

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
Lots of questions........

Did you match the length of the new arms to the old ones?

Did you check the rear toe in/out after you installed them?

Did it have a bunch of noticable negative camber when you were done with the installation?

I'm no fan of SATV, but how is this their fault? You installed them, there was an obvious alignment problem using their directions (Scoop seemed to notice if im reading his post correctly) and you drove it like that. Not SATV's fault and more like user error.
One could possibly ponder the scrubbing dragging noise of a tire that removed 1/2” of tread after the first 1/4” was gone - alignment is owner issue no matter what the instructions say - as my dad said “if someone told you to put your Winkie in a vise and close it hard’ - would you do it - lol

don’t be a victim
Since y’all know way more than I do, as I go to fix the rear alignment (and validate the front)…

what should the toe in/out and camber measurements be (or at least some general guidelines)??

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Did it have a bunch of noticable negative camber when you were done with the installation?
There was a boatload of negative camber - I followed @Coeus most of SAT. We did chat about it.

what should the toe in/out and camber measurements be (or at least some general guidelines)??
Toe: Should be somewhere between 1/8" in to 1/8" out, generally speaking. I run just a smidge in. You can tell if there's too much toe in if the front of the buggy moves up when you move forward and if too much to out, it moves down. From what I've read, Honda ships a lot of machines with front toe set out too far. My Pioneer was.

Camber: Depends on how you ride most of the time. If it's gonna be like this past weekend, I'd suggest no more than 1-2 degrees negative camber. You were carrying a load of Packouts and the kids in the back seat, so that can increase negative camber, too.

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
There was a boatload of negative camber - I followed @Coeus most of SAT. We did chat about it.

Toe: Should be somewhere between 1/8" in to 1/8" out, generally speaking. I run just a smidge in. You can tell if there's too much toe in if the front of the buggy moves up when you move forward and if too much to out, it moves down. From what I've read, Honda ships a lot of machines with front toe set out too far. My Pioneer was.

Camber: Depends on how you ride most of the time. If it's gonna be like this past weekend, I'd suggest no more than 1-2 degrees negative camber. You were carrying a load of Packouts and the kids in the back seat, so that can increase negative camber, too.
That gives me a start and a lot of new things to learn.. probably like JE with widget (nomo)

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Most would say these are overpriced but what's another Amazon deliver to you? Lol. Work(ed) great for me for 30" tires on 15" wheels on the P1K5, although there are a few cheaper DIY methods using string, a couple pieces of angle iron and a tape measure.

I thought I eyeballed it close until I put these into use. Boy, was I off.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
advertisement
Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
Hmmmmm........ SATV telling you not to set them to stock length is pretty stupid IMO, why wouldn't you? It makes ZERO sense not to do that.
I started that way but then read the directions and thought maybe it was the angle/high arch.. I’m no expert and since they designed and built them, they would/should know better..

No one died. So that’s a win

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I started that way but then read the directions and thought maybe it was the angle/high arch.. I’m no expert and since they designed and built them, they would/should know better..

No one died. So that’s a win

The arch doesn't factor into the equation. It's center of heim to center of heim in a straight line to get your measurements no matter what the arm is shaped like.

When the directions were translated from Chinese to Engish the millimeter to inch conversion must have gotten messed up. 😳

Like they tell you when you take tests: Always stick with your first answer. Crappy deal about the tires either way.

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
The arch doesn't factor into the equation. It's center of heim to center of heim in a straight line to get your measurements no matter what the arm is shaped like.

When the directions were translated from Chinese to Engish the millimeter to inch conversion must have gotten messed up. 😳

Like they tell you when you take tests: Always stick with your first answer. Crappy deal about the tires either way.
No you tell me that

advertisement