Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
20180205 125224 20180205 115148
There is a piece of Eternabond tape between the plate and the plastic roof.going to spray Flex seal over the plate

Last edited:
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I got a TYT TH8600.

What mounts did you use to mount it on your roll bar?
used the clamp that the OEM windshield and roof use. I used that clamp for the antenna and the base unit. I wanted to mount mine in the bottom storage hole, but mine isnt waterproof.

Reactions: sharp
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Ragnar406

You want to get together and work on a few channels for the takeover?
I am willing to help but I don't know how takeover went last year.
Right now my suggestion is to pick one frequency to be the main general talking about one ( so that if there is an emergency someone is likely on this channel) and then let riding groups pick channels for their ride.

I know there is Tones we can designate and use but With people unfamiliar with the radios in general as they are I say keep it simple.

I would stick to GRMS channels for any main freq- I know MURS has ability to go farther but some may come with FRS?GRMS radios only.

Thoughts? What was the plan last year and what were the opportunities that arose.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am willing to help but I don't know how takeover went last year.
Right now my suggestion is to pick one frequency to be the main general talking about one ( so that if there is an emergency someone is likely on this channel) and then let riding groups pick channels for their ride.

I know there is Tones we can designate and use but With people unfamiliar with the radios in general as they are I say keep it simple.

I would stick to GRMS channels for any main freq- I know MURS has ability to go farther but some may come with FRS?GRMS radios only.

Thoughts? What was the plan last year and what were the opportunities that arose.

The only problem I see with this much time ahead is the FRS/GRMS only radios. The programming cables are @$10 so cost isn't a real issue, its easy to program with a .csv file its almost drag and drop. I'd be happy to drop the program with the FRS/GRMS/MURS and maybe even the custom channels on anyones radio. I have the cables for the BTech and Baofeng which seems to be the most common radios.

The more I thought about it last night the more I think picking 3 FRS/GRMS channels and going with it might be best with the consideration of the radios people might show up with. Main/Trail/Emergency should be fine since the mts and the radios probably will limit range to a close group anyway.

Could still pick a couple channels with Tones and use them when everyone has the capable radios. It cleans up the communication so much.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
There will be at least 4 maybe 5 of the mobile radios at Mulberry. We will be able to test the different radios in real lift useage

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The only problem I see with this much time ahead is the FRS/GRMS only radios. The programming cables are @$10 so cost isn't a real issue, its easy to program with a .csv file its almost drag and drop. I'd be happy to drop the program with the FRS/GRMS/MURS and maybe even the custom channels on anyones radio. I have the cables for the BTech and Baofeng which seems to be the most common radios.

The more I thought about it last night the more I think picking 3 FRS/GRMS channels and going with it might be best with the consideration of the radios people might show up with. Main/Trail/Emergency should be fine since the mts and the radios probably will limit range to a close group anyway.

Could still pick a couple channels with Tones and use them when everyone has the capable radios. It cleans up the communication so much.
I think you're on the right track. Definitely have an emergency channel that can be monitored by anyone that's capable. May need to define emergency...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
advertisement
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Alrighty ladies and gents! I have my radio up and running. Thanks to a lot of help from @Ragnar406 I have my radio programmed and ready to roll. It was actually pretty easy once I got the program to work on my computer. Just type in some number, check a few boxes, then load it on the radio. I feel like i've accessed a whole new world of underground communication lol. Looking forward to having a radio that's actually useful at Mulberry and the Takeover.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Out of beer will be an emergency for most. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True! Beer first, broke down and need a tow second.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Out of beer will be an emergency for most. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL yea,

PAGING ANYONE....ANYONE.... need beer at the eternal flame ASAP... Yea I can see a few folks doing that.

Emergency channel shouldn't be used unless you are in dire straights. Same as dialing 911 . If you're lost, someone is missing, injured, stranded. If all other options and resources have been exhausted THEN use the emergency channel.

We joke around but knowing the guys in this group, if something happened and came across the emergency channel there would likely be 20+ Honda Pioneers descending upon their location. This is a great group of folks.

While we're on the subject. @ohanacreek and @Ragnar406 we/you should pick a channel to designate as the EMERGENCY channel that can be easily accessed by all radios. So one of the FRS/GMRS channels.... That way we can program it into ours before arrival.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

We joke around but knowing the guys in this group, if something happened and came across the emergency channel there would likely be 20+ Honda Pioneers descending upon their location. This is a great group of folks.

While we're on the subject. @ohanacreek and @Ragnar406 we/you should pick a channel to designate as the EMERGENCY channel that can be easily accessed by all radios. So one of the FRS/GMRS channels.... That way we can program it into ours before arrival.

You’re right I wouldn’t have hung around if the folks in this group would run off and leave you stranded with an everyman for him self attitude. You joke about 20 pioneers loaded with tools ready to help but it’s the real deal, everyone will be shoulder deep in grease and mud, smiling the whole time.

I’d say any emergency that can’t be handled within the immediate group reach out. If it’s life threatening there are a few of us that can reach out for real help. We’ve never had to and shouldn’t ever need to but we can.

Chirp has all the public channels available within the program. Just need to enter them in and set all the radios to display the name not the frequency.

We can pick however many we need at the time.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LOL yea,

PAGING ANYONE....ANYONE.... need beer at the eternal flame ASAP... Yea I can see a few folks doing that.

Emergency channel shouldn't be used unless you are in dire straights. Same as dialing 911 . If you're lost, someone is missing, injured, stranded. If all other options and resources have been exhausted THEN use the emergency channel.

I don't think you should designate a channel as an emergency channel - I do propose that should an actual emergency arise you get on one of the designated channels and say "emergency" at the first break in conversation - the people conversing should then acknowledge and try to help.
Really the only way a emergency channel works is to have someone monitoring it at all times -

Example is in Ham radio there is a Freq/channel designated as a emergency one that people are suppose to monitor at 5 or 10 till the top of the hour... other wise it much faster to break into a conversation.....

the Main or Rag chew channel will be the one that should have the most traffic on it.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here is some additional info some may find useful. These are the frequencies for my Motorola radio shown. I programmed my new TYT radio to have these labeled as well. Cee06fd2a6d08413955867a3308f20f56ada4359dffc7e40cb75fc258f18afb9

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't think you should designate a channel as an emergency channel - I do propose that should an actual emergency arise you get on one of the designated channels and say "emergency" at the first break in conversation - the people conversing should then acknowledge and try to help.
Really the only way a emergency channel works is to have someone monitoring it at all times -

Example is in Ham radio there is a Freq/channel designated as a emergency one that people are suppose to monitor at 5 or 10 till the top of the hour... other wise it much faster to break into a conversation.....

the Main or Rag chew channel will be the one that should have the most traffic on it.
Valid points as well.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You’re right I wouldn’t have hung around if the folks in this group would run off and leave you stranded with an everyman for him self attitude. You joke about 20 pioneers loaded with tools ready to help but it’s the real deal, everyone will be shoulder deep in grease and mud, smiling the whole time.

I’d say any emergency that can’t be handled within the immediate group reach out. If it’s life threatening there are a few of us that can reach out for real help. We’ve never had to and shouldn’t ever need to but we can.

Chirp has all the public channels available within the program. Just need to enter them in and set all the radios to display the name not the frequency.

We can pick however many we need at the time.
What is chirp?

Reactions: sharp and Ragnar406
advertisement