Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ragnar, Jshell3, HondaSxs, JTW,

Thank you all for putting together so much info on Radios. I was able to add all FRS/GMRS into the BF-F8HP using chirp. But it lists just the frequency and name. Is that correct or should tone, toneSql, DTCS Code, ...etc be included?
Since not certified i should operate at less than 3 watts. Correct? Is that Low or Med power, the manual didn't really say.
I think my settings will work but if they could be better or if its better we all use same settings (like certain tones) then can someone please save their custom settings so we all have the same tones, settings, for takeover? Hopefully with Custom Names?
Thanks again! Can't wait to meet all of you at Takeover 2018.
I say if you're in the mountains away from everyone run it on high and you won't bother anyone. That's what most of us did at mulberry mountain last weekend. We didn't have any trouble.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ragnar, Jshell3, HondaSxs, JTW,

Thank you all for putting together so much info on Radios. I was able to add all FRS/GMRS into the BF-F8HP using chirp. But it lists just the frequency and name. Is that correct or should tone, toneSql, DTCS Code, ...etc be included?
Since not certified i should operate at less than 3 watts. Correct? Is that Low or Med power, the manual didn't really say.
I think my settings will work but if they could be better or if its better we all use same settings (like certain tones) then can someone please save their custom settings so we all have the same tones, settings, for takeover? Hopefully with Custom Names?
Thanks again! Can't wait to meet all of you at Takeover 2018.
Thanks but there has been a lot of people adding to the knowledge on this - @ohanacreek was one of the first if not first to put a mobile unit in his Honda and I am sure that I am not mentioning a few. to be legal you should have a GRMS license to transmit on the GRMS frequencies. your an adult and can make you own choices but I will still mention.

I have never been a big fan of tones and tone sql but having so few frequencies/channels to operate on I "Have seen the light" this past weekend. when you get up on the top of the hills it is not unheard of to start picking up other groups on the same freq.. lots of time they are just breaking your squelch so you can't really tell who is transmitting and if they are with your group or not.

So I am now a fan of starting to use the tone settings.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am a radio rookie and I understand using the radios within the group on the basic channels. Is it bad to have some of the GRMS channels programmed without a liscence in the radio if you mostly ride by your self in a area where there is no cell service incase of a emergency? Personally if my rig is laid over on my left leg( just above the ankle) and if I can only get to my radio, no disrespect I won't care about a liscence

Reactions: JTW and Montecresto
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am a radio rookie and I understand using the radios within the group on the basic channels. Is it bad to have some of the GRMS channels programmed without a liscence in the radio if you mostly ride by your self in a area where there is no cell service incase of a emergency? Personally if my rig is laid over on my left leg( just above the ankle) and if I can only get to my radio, no disrespect I won't care about a liscence
As I understand in an emergency you can use any frequency available to seek help... if I was ever in a situation where it was life or death I would not even hesitate to get on a fire and rescue frequency ... although that take a little frequency knowledge but you get the my thoughts on.

Reactions: Mudder and JTW
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
@Ragnar406 Is there such a thing as a (911) frequency ? Something that we can add to the programming list just in case.

Reactions: Ragnar406 and sharp
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Ragnar406 Is there such a thing as a (911) frequency ? Something that we can add to the programming list just in case.
Complicated answer.. there are designated national calling frequencies in each band on ham radio - are they monitored regularly? I would not rely on. Your best bet is to try the channels you have programmed in already and then maybe scan for traffic. You are also going to have to know how to tell them exactly where they need to send help - something to think about while out riding.

Reactions: Tramguage1
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
Complicated answer.. there are designated national calling frequencies in each band on ham radio - are they monitored regularly? I would not rely on. Your best bet is to try the channels you have programmed in already and then maybe scan for traffic. You are also going to have to know how to tell them exactly where they need to send help - something to think about while out riding.
As our get togethers get larger we may need to think about this type of situation

Reactions: sharp and nbomar
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks but there has been a lot of people adding to the knowledge on this - @ohanacreek was one of the first if not first to put a mobile unit in his Honda and I am sure that I am not mentioning a few. to be legal you should have a GRMS license to transmit on the GRMS frequencies. your an adult and can make you own choices but I will still mention.

I have never been a big fan of tones and tone sql but having so few frequencies/channels to operate on I "Have seen the light" this past weekend. when you get up on the top of the hills it is not unheard of to start picking up other groups on the same freq.. lots of time they are just breaking your squelch so you can't really tell who is transmitting and if they are with your group or not.

So I am now a fan of starting to use the tone settings.

We ran into that one weekend at Stony Lonesome there was a group on an FRS channel freq... so being the “adult” I chose a freq that was not an FRS channel but within the range and punched it into everyone’s radio.

The mobile units are WAY WAY better than the handhelds even with the better antenna connected to the handheld.

They are a bit more expensive but def worth it.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As our get togethers get larger we may need to think about this type of situation
Redundancy is always best. I think of a radio as one level,
A first aid kit as another. I carry a blowout kit (including tourniquets) that is rapidly accessible - carried in an orange waterproof bag on the passages side of my Honda. I am going to switch to red since that is universal

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

If you are REALLY concerned about emergency communication I would look at something like an Garmin InReach Explorer. There’s a couple of different plans and you can Bluetooth to your smartphone. It’s Iridium SAT 2-Way text.

We go on hiking and especially diving trips that take us way out of cell coverage for long periods of time. We stayed in touch even when we dove the Flower Garden Banks NMS which is about 100 miles offshore from Galveston, TX. We just upgraded but we’ve used the older Delorme version when we were out of the country instead of an overpriced cell plan.

It’s a GPS unit so telling them EXACTLY where you are is it’s purpose.
They even make a locking powered mount for vehicles, we threw a mount on my buddies 30’ center console, he’s used his once on a trip from KeyWest to Bimini when he had a leaky fuel line and ran out of gas about half way. Coast Guard was able to bring him enough fuel to get to shore and help him patch the line. (He was less than prepared for the trip)

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here’s couple of pics of my new electronics mount I welded up. The InReach is in the middle I got the cheaper of the two models since the app has the maps on the phone and it’s mostly for communication not mapping anyway.

P1000m5 - Rock Donkey

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are REALLY concerned about emergency communication I would look at something like an Garmin InReach Explorer. There’s a couple of different plans and you can Bluetooth to your smartphone. It’s Iridium SAT 2-Way text.

We go on hiking and especially diving trips that take us way out of cell coverage for long periods of time. We stayed in touch even when we dove the Flower Garden Banks NMS which is about 100 miles offshore from Galveston, TX. We just upgraded but we’ve used the older Delorme version when we were out of the country instead of an overpriced cell plan.

It’s a GPS unit so telling them EXACTLY where you are is it’s purpose.
They even make a locking powered mount for vehicles, we threw a mount on my buddies 30’ center console, he’s used his once on a trip from KeyWest to Bimini when he had a leaky fuel line and ran out of gas about half way. Coast Guard was able to bring him enough fuel to get to shore and help him patch the line. (He was less than prepared for the trip)

That is really neat, I took a quick glance at the reviews and capabilities. Any idea how much the service for texting cost?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is really neat, I took a quick glance at the reviews and capabilities. Any idea how much the service for texting cost?

Different plans 15$ month for emergency only (10messsges) to 65$ a month for unlimited. You can turn it off the months when you don’t have a trip planned to use it. We’ve spent about $100-$150 a year NEVER needed the SOS but it’s been nice to be able to communicate when we needed to. It’s saved a few long hikes out of the way to meetup with others.

Edit:
Garmin | inReach

click subscriptions and it'll take you down the page

Reactions: Ragnar406 and JTW
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Redundancy is always best. I think of a radio as one level,
A first aid kit as another. I carry a blowout kit (including tourniquets) that is rapidly accessible - carried in an orange waterproof bag on the passages side of my Honda. I am going to switch to red since that is universal

I've been looking for a waterproof bag because a red pelican case is just too expensive, where'd you fine one?

Reactions: sharp and Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been looking for a waterproof bag because a red pelican case is just too expensive, where'd you fine one?
The one I am using now came from either campmor or LL bean - 30+ years ago (damn did I just type that) I have three that I used when I was in scouts on long canoeing trips. The one I have now works and the only reason I would be changing is that it is orange rather than red.

This one looks to fit the bill but 2 reviews
https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Floating-Hiking-Fishing-Camping/dp/B0741BWRGW/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Also Ritc is about to start carrying cases like Pelican ...

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These are in the bass pro newspaper

Reactions: Ragnar406
advertisement