P1000 FYI, Honda responce to heat problem

Riverrat

Riverrat

Jul 3, 2016
UP of Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with PioneerPete! I got one of Hondas feeble attempt to fix the heat problem, it accually made it worst on the driver seat area and no improvement on the passenger side, could not stand to ride it so I installed heat shielding under the seat and a 4 in bilge fan on the passenger side, the fan is the biggest help and in cool weather when you may want a little warmth leave the fan off, works great. In my opinion Honda will never fix this problem, they are listening to the people that drive around the block for a 10 minute ride, come back and say I don't feel any heat. I asked my dealer when I picked up my p1k5 after the heat kit was installed, who do I report to after a good test, he said don't call us, maybe Honda will call you, I haven't heard from anyone, I don't think any of them really give a DAM!!

zumper

zumper

Apr 4, 2016
Minden NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are those of you who have installed the Rule 240 4" blower satisfied with that product?
Thank you
Chuck

Reactions: SIHunter
S

Shifty

Aug 1, 2016
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have writen a letter to Honda about the heat issues. Today I recieved a phone call from Pam @ American Honda and they are aware of the extreme heat issues. I answered a few questions and told them what I have done to help with the problem and were very interested in my thoughts and are working on a solution to the problem. They have had many complaints from owners and are working with ideas to correct the problem. I am very happy they called and are interested in our problems, our voices have been heard. Thank you American Honda for listening to our concerns.
Let's hope a solution of some sort is on the horizon. I purchased my 1000-5 Deluxe in July, initial rides were bearable, then I installed the hardtop, split windshield, backdrop curtain and have created a "Honda-cue"! It's like crawling into a gas bbq. I live in North Idaho and riding in 90+ temps becomes unbearable in a short while. I have installed the foil heat shield and can't notice much change. I am removing the upper half of windshield to see if that helps otherwise it will be parked until fall. Not too impressed with this design flaw, a disappointment for sure. Probably would have at least rode others before this purchase. I'm a loyal Honda fan so I'll give them a chance to figure a way to make it bearable or find a way I can, otherwise the for sale sign is likely. Bilge blowers, rubber mats?? Too much invested to be unable to use.

Reactions: Dan1960
Dan1960

Dan1960

Jul 10, 2016
White Pine, MI Upper Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let's hope a solution of some sort is on the horizon. I purchased my 1000-5 Deluxe in July, initial rides were bearable, then I installed the hardtop, split windshield, backdrop curtain and have created a "Honda-cue"! It's like crawling into a gas bbq. I live in North Idaho and riding in 90+ temps becomes unbearable in a short while. I have installed the foil heat shield and can't notice much change. I am removing the upper half of windshield to see if that helps otherwise it will be parked until fall. Not too impressed with this design flaw, a disappointment for sure. Probably would have at least rode others before this purchase. I'm a loyal Honda fan so I'll give them a chance to figure a way to make it bearable or find a way I can, otherwise the for sale sign is likely. Bilge blowers, rubber mats?? Too much invested to be unable to use.
I agree. I have the 1000-5, not the deluxe, but I have put the same accessories on, hardtop, windshield, and rear panel. Put the heat foil under seat, it did help some. Still hot though. Have you called Honda to complain? If not, here's their number 866-784-1870. The more people that complain the better.

S

Shifty

Aug 1, 2016
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree. I have the 1000-5, not the deluxe, but I have put the same accessories on, hardtop, windshield, and rear panel. Put the heat foil under seat, it did help some. Still hot though. Have you called Honda to complain? If not, here's their number 866-784-1870. The more people that complain the better.
Dan, I did call Honda and was not prepared for the help the representative gave. He more or less told me that Honda spent many hours testing this machine in ALL climates and ALL conditions and their engineers and test riders did NOT find any excessive or abnormal heat problems. He took my number and said my dealer would contact me if any approved solution was reached. He was aware of all the quote "backyard mechanics" on the forum but could not or would recommend wiring a bilge blower in place. He told me I was probably wearing the wrong type of clothing for the conditions. I guess blue jeans and tee shirt and helmet incorrect for 90+. I suggested maybe they should test them in ways that the average farmer uses one of these things. Oh well, I still believe when you spend the money for the best there is you shouldn't have to wire a boat bilge blower on a UTV to fix it. My wife has a 2014 Honda Pilot if my dealer suggested a repair like that on her car I'd get rid of it. And lastly I am NOT imagining the high temperature, my grandson thinks he's being punished to have to ride in the middle on the front seat. He says its like being in a barbecue! It is now referred to as our Hondacue.

Dan1960

Dan1960

Jul 10, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dan, I did call Honda and was not prepared for the help the representative gave. He more or less told me that Honda spent many hours testing this machine in ALL climates and ALL conditions and their engineers and test riders did NOT find any excessive or abnormal heat problems. He took my number and said my dealer would contact me if any approved solution was reached. He was aware of all the quote "backyard mechanics" on the forum but could not or would recommend wiring a bilge blower in place. He told me I was probably wearing the wrong type of clothing for the conditions. I guess blue jeans and tee shirt and helmet incorrect for 90+. I suggested maybe they should test them in ways that the average farmer uses one of these things. Oh well, I still believe when you spend the money for the best there is you shouldn't have to wire a boat bilge blower on a UTV to fix it. My wife has a 2014 Honda Pilot if my dealer suggested a repair like that on her car I'd get rid of it. And lastly I am NOT imagining the high temperature, my grandson thinks he's being punished to have to ride in the middle on the front seat. He says its like being in a barbecue! It is now referred to as our Hondacue.
When I called Honda they told me they were aware of problem and are in the process of testing some fix for it now. Dealer told me they put something on from Honda that is being tested, he didn't hear any results, but said they may just be in contact with Honda. Told me I will be getting letter from Honda. I could go on and on about the heat problem, but sounds like your experiencing the same as me. Hopefully they get it fixed. Don't know how you held your cool talking to the guy at Honda, WOW he really new what he was talking about, NOT.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
On behalf of "backyard mechanics" everywhere who have installed this temporary fix until the professionals can figure it out, and did it in a way that isolated the amp draw from factory electrical to prevent harm, let me just say Thank you to the very first "backyard mechanic" who was innovative enough to recognize that a problem exists with air flow and come up the the bilge blower temporary fix to resolve it! My Riding Experience has improved and anyone who installs this fix will agree that theirs has as well! And for the record Honda's first attempt at fixing the heat issue was and is ridiculous! Come on Honda hire a few "Backyard Mechanics" and let's move past this!

Redmist

Redmist

Jun 9, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I called Honda on July 10 and was told they were sending there fix in 2 weeks and it never came. Called them again on Monday to ask why I had not receive it yet. I told them about how hot the steam is when you run thru water and if they did not fix it they may have a law suit when someone gets burned. Amazing how fast they are getting the "fix" sent out, already called my dealer to send it out. You may want to bring up the steam and someone getting burned, that may get them motivated.

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Your comment about the "back yard" mechanics is upsetting if true. This is a real problem as verified with temperature readings. If we are keeping score on who's fixed the issue, "back yard" mechanics 1, Honda 0. I still have some faith that they will have a better fix soon but until then, my isolated and fused blower works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement
Dan1960

Dan1960

Jul 10, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I called Honda on July 10 and was told they were sending there fix in 2 weeks and it never came. Called them again on Monday to ask why I had not receive it yet. I told them about how hot the steam is when you run thru water and if they did not fix it they may have a law suit when someone gets burned. Amazing how fast they are getting the "fix" sent out, already called my dealer to send it out. You may want to bring up the steam and someone getting burned, that may get them motivated.
Hopefully the fix works, please post how it works once you test it, thanks.

Redmist

Redmist

Jun 9, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My Dealer said Honda wanted feed back ASAP after installed. Has anyone else that has the fix asked for feedback?

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
Its this kinda thing that is REALLY making it hard for me to wanna sell my 900 Ranger with 50 miles on it..Its just hard to swallow thinking that a 15k machine needs all of these things to enjoy them without getting burned, getting left on the trail or taking on water!!! I don't have many friends to ride with so I often ride alone and don't wanna break down on the road or trail when riding alone..

S

Shifty

Aug 1, 2016
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your comment about the "back yard" mechanics is upsetting if true. This is a real problem as verified with temperature readings. If we are keeping score on who's fixed the issue, "back yard" mechanics 1, Honda 0. I still have some faith that they will have a better fix soon but until then, my isolated and fused blower works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will be installing the blower regardless of what Honda said or recommends. I need to make this machine usable. There are enough people on this forum that say that it works, I find them more credible than Honda at this point. I think what is actually going on with Honda and their reps is more about "risk management" then finding a speedy solution or as what was said an approved solution than doesn't void warranties.

S

Shifty

Aug 1, 2016
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Its this kinda thing that is REALLY making it hard for me to wanna sell my 900 Ranger with 50 miles on it..Its just hard to swallow thinking that a 15k machine needs all of these things to enjoy them without getting burned, getting left on the trail or taking on water!!! I don't have many friends to ride with so I often ride alone and don't wanna break down on the road or trail when riding alone..
I still think the Pioneer is the best designed, quietest and winner of all brands. I hope I can work through this little glitch. Honda products have never failed me yet. But, I repeat but on a purchase this substantial they should be fixing the problem for their customers with existing machines as well as unsold machines. Sooner rather than later. I will try all I can without redesigning the machine if it doesn't work I'll decide then. If I sell it there won't be another.

X4Dice

X4Dice

Jun 3, 2016
USA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I used a 4" fan which is slightly angled toward the header and I used 10ga wiring to the fan so there wouldn't be any voltage drop. Do these things make a difference? Idk

You can see that the bracket pivots on the fuel tank side and the other side is a clamp so it can be positioned for the best outcome.
View attachment 18348
Is that the ATTWOOD 4” TURBO 4000 IN-LINE BILGE BLOWER that you have? Is one enough?

Bubba

Bubba

Lifetime Member
May 5, 2016
Belle Chasse La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heat shield and 4" bildge fan fix my heat problem. Thanks guys!

advertisement