AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if that rubber flap isn't all the way in correctly in some people's rigs. Seems to be either not too bad or really bad.

On mine that rubber flap up under the hood sometimes comes unhooked from near the side of the glove box. Being in AK I don't notice the heat as much as I do the dust coming in the shifters, and usually I find that flap has come unhooked. I think it's a bad design on Honda's part. I'm thinking a little ball of plumbers putty would work to keep it in place. Easy to put on and take off, and it stays pliable.

As for seat heat, it isn't unbearable but can get quite annoying for the person in the middle. I did the silver bubble insulation mod that @Bayouownbeer recommended and it definitely helped. I don't think I'm going to do anything more with it since that heat will be nice come winter.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I remember the corner where it hooks on from removing the dash but mine was in place. I can see how it could come off there though. Might be a good idea for people to check that so that's great info thank you

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've noticed that the rubber flap can sometimes work it's way down the shifter, witch will let more hot air in. On a side note, it's kinda weird talking about something that seems seasonal, the heat will be great in the winter. While I usually do most of my riding in the fall, winter and early spring, I just accept that it's hot in the summertime no matter what!
I'm the same way @sharp. Last winter with the enclosure we were so warm. We were driving around with no coats on and actually unzipped the windows a bit. It's really nice on our night rides as well. My rig is scheduled for the Honda "fix" but I've already told him I want nothing permanent. I do like the ideas people have on the fans because that will help in summer. I'm going to do that but put a vent on the lower seat to bring air from with a reverse automotive fan underneath and a thermostat so it'll be great cold/hot. Screw the 600$ Honda heater it's NOT neede all done it's looking like 125 for automated

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also, I didn't wrap and tuck the insulation down in behind the seat. I left it long... about 6" extra, and tucked it back up in behind the seat back. This way it completely covers the piece of plastic behind the center seat.

R

RJB

Mar 31, 2016
Durango, Colorado
I've noticed that the rubber flap can sometimes work it's way down the shifter, witch will let more hot air in. On a side note, it's kinda weird talking about something that seems seasonal, the heat will be great in the winter. While I usually do most of my riding in the fall, winter and early spring, I just accept that it's hot in the summertime no matter what!
The problem is, you don't get heat in the winter, YOU GET COLD AIR. Yes, I can tolerate the hot or cold air but it would have been so easy to make it a non issue. Don't get me wrong, overall I love my Honda. I have fixed the hot seat, the dust problem, the rattling and I will fix the blow dryer too. I guess it gives me something to do. I'm sure Honda will eventually fix all of this in future models.

Reactions: dotman1
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The problem is, you don't get heat in the winter, YOU GET COLD AIR. Yes, I can tolerate the hot or cold air but it would have been so easy to make it a non issue. Don't get me wrong, overall I love my Honda. I have fixed the hot seat, the dust problem, the rattling and I will fix the blow dryer too. I guess it gives me something to do. I'm sure Honda will eventually fix all of this in future models.
That's true that you will get cold air through the shifter if that rubber piece is out of place, but that cold air might feel great if you take the heat shield out from under the seat in the winter and let the engine heat warm you up.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's true that you will get cold air through the shifter if that rubber piece is out of place, but that cold air might feel great if you take the heat shield out from under the seat in the winter and let the engine heat warm you up.
In the winter the only time it's cold from the shifter is over 30-35 but as @sharp says the under seat heat easily keeps you warm. Slow speeds gear shift is warm and does a great job of defrosting the windshield over about 10mph. There won't be too many people complaining about the heat in about two months

F

fish

May 20, 2016
Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
Ownership

1. 700-4
I just had a split windshield added to our 700-4 and today I noticed that there is heat coming from the shifter on the 700 also, only noticed it since the windshield was installed (I have a tendency to rest my right hand on the shifter while driving). Looks like I will fabricate a boot out of some deer skin and a base ring and install it over the shifte, but it would be a nice hand warmer in the colder months.

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have my "heat shield" scheduled for Friday. They are going to install while I wait. I will remove my home made silver bubble wrap until they are done.

Heat shield is installed. Actually looks like their main concern was the steam. The way it tucks under the mid panel and then the gaskets are between the top of the mid panel and seat back. This will allow the steam to flow and not enter your bottom area. I am going to install my silver bubble wrap on top of their rubber.

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heat shield is installed. Actually looks like their main concern was the steam. The way it tucks under the mid panel and then the gaskets are between the top of the mid panel and seat back. This will allow the steam to flow and not enter your bottom area. I am going to install my silver bubble wrap on top of their rubber.
If it was me I'd try it without the bubble wrap first. That way you'd know how much the Honda cure was working.

advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In the winter the only time it's cold from the shifter is over 30-35 but as @sharp says the under seat heat easily keeps you warm. Slow speeds gear shift is warm and does a great job of defrosting the windshield over about 10mph. There won't be too many people complaining about the heat in about two months
And then I'm going to complain about how there aren't too many people complaining lmao

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
And then I'm going to complain about how there aren't too many people complaining lmao
I didn't mean it like that Delton. I'm saying it's nice in the winter. Don't button it up too much

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I inquired with my dealer about this and the service manager did some research for me. He said that Honda has about 100 of these "kits" out there for testing basically to see if it cures the problem and how well. At this point it is not an official update or anything like that. Right now their just testing a potential solution to some of the heat and steam issues. So, I can wait, no big deal. I also just installed the hard rear panel and put my half windshield back on for testing and like someone else here said, no heat or dust issues whatsoever, none. I may finally have found a solution for the heat for my application.

Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz

Mar 1, 2016
Arizona
FYI; I received a call from my local Honda dealer today, service manager said he received a call from Honda and told me that heat issue is not a warranty issue that the heat shield Honda is providing is only a test and my dealer would install it and my obligation would be to report back if it works or not?

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
FYI; I received a call from my local Honda dealer today, service manager said he received a call from Honda and told me that heat issue is not a warranty issue that the heat shield Honda is providing is only a test and my dealer would install it and my obligation would be to report back if it works or not?

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
I called and kit is on its way also. The heat thru the dash is as big an issue as the seat. Those with kits being installed need to mention the dash heat. Wipers that only go part way into the passengers area were mentioned to Honda on my call also.

advertisement