P1000 where the honda falls short/ internal gears?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have been in the skeg, and stuck in the skeg, but I was never not able to spin the tires. If I can I go around it, just like I've done with my Rancher and Rincon. What I will tell you is that there was times on those machines that I was so stuck in mud and skeg that I couldn't spin the tires on them. I've seen it happen to other brands, also. Most of my problems in the skeg is my skid plates. They cause the machine to sit, or partially float, on top, basically making me high centered. The tires will spin all day but I can't dig down to anything solid. This is THE reason a Pull-Pal is the next addition to my machine.

As for clutches burning up, I think it's a problem, but not necessarily for all the machines. There's guys on the FB page that have thousands of miles on their machines without a problem. There's guys on this forum with the same experience. Can I vouch that they aren't blowing smoke up everyone's @$$? Nope. There's way too much information on clutches, them being inspected, possibly having them relined, etc. On this forum to rehash it again in another post. I don't have an answer. Apparently nobody does. The ONE person on FB that thought he burned up his clutches with the gear reduction later posted that it was an electrical issue. What I can tell you about it is that the guy that was pushing them seems to have diappeared and the company that I think was doing them seems to have issues, if it's the right company. I was excited for a gear reduction, as all of us, were, because we know that low end isn't low enough. I wasn't about to go and put faith into an aftermarket fix that was being handled via text message, emails, messages on FB, and PayPal payments. Besides, the case grinding really freaked me out. Until Honda, or a BIG aftermarket provider comes out with a gear reduction, my money is going into things that I know work.

I'm not sure I added anything of value to this discussion. And, I'm waiting to see the results of the relining. We'll see!
You added plenty. I get what you're saying.

Sounds like the gear reduction is just a dream. Oh well.

My clutches burning isn't the big issue for me, it's just performing in skeg when I'm NOT buried. You can't ask a machine to do something no other machine can do without spending 100k.

Also, I know you didn't find bottom. There isn't one. Buggies with 60 inch tires can't find bottom. I avoid the tears, but you can drive over the skeg pretty easy if you don't spin your tires and tear it up. I just got a go pro this winter, I wish I would have had it a year ago when I had my Polaris. The swamp we went through and hunted that year would have been the coolest video ever. You see the ground trying to eat the dude in front of you, but somehow you both keep chugging along.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: AKRider
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
30 inch intimidators. My rig just dies. Doesn't matter if it's skeg or mud. Won't spin the tires. feels powerful on trail, gutless in the hole.

Does the engine continue to run or by "dies" do you mean the engine actually shuts off?

The reason I'm asking is because if your clutches are strong enough to hold the engine back, then for you the problem truly is gearing like it is for me. I've been watching the gear reduction kits and I'm hoping that one day I'll feel comfortable enough to make an investment and be very sure that it is a good investment. I know that the vehicle needs lower gears, right now I'm just not so confident that I want to purchase what is available on the aftermarket.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well it's like a waterbed. Imagine driving on jello. You don't break through usually unless your ripping.

Occasionally there's a rip in the surface and if you drive into it your sunk.

But If you stay on top it's just like a waterbed. Your feet sink in but your not stuck. Just lift your leg.

It's not bad, that's the problem. I'm not asking for a monster truck. I just need to start seeing 70 horse powers. When your tires are down in the skeg (not in mud) I can't get them to turn to crawl out.

That's the best I can describe it. I can't get vids for months obviously. It's snowing like a sonofagun. We got like 2 feet in the last 2 days

Boomboom, I understand exactly what you are saying. I've had mine in mud that was thick enough so that the p1k couldn't hook up in reverse... every time I tried it would just modulate the clutches. if I had kept at it, I would have burnt the clutches out of it. in that particular instance I was able to get it to engage going forwards, and I eventually made enough of a wallered out spot that I got it to hook up in reverse and I busted out.
since the machine would engage in forward but not reverse, and knowing that reverse is a little higher geared than forward low, I would speculate that the igr could help you get it to hook up in the skeg.
good luck to you brother. hopefully you can find a way to make the p1k do what you need. it is a great machine with a lot going for it, but as with any machine, it does have its limitations.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Skeg is nasty, but i"ll hit it anyways, if there are other SXS with me. Won't do it when I only have the Rancher along though. Depends on how far I dig down on if I can get the tires to spinning again or not. When I can't get the tires spinning, it usually stalls out the motor.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Does the engine continue to run or by "dies" do you mean the engine actually shuts off?

The reason I'm asking is because if your clutches are strong enough to hold the engine back, then for you the problem truly is gearing like it is for me. I've been watching the gear reduction kits and I'm hoping that one day I'll feel comfortable enough to make an investment and be very sure that it is a good investment. I know that the vehicle needs lower gears, right now I'm just not so confident that I want to purchase what is available on the aftermarket.
Exactly. Same boat. I am not sure what to do. As of now I'm considering selling it and getting a 4 wheeler. Give the pioneer a few years to grow and work its problems out.

The portal lifts are just too much damn money.

I'm not absolutely sure I feel comfortable making changes without a Honda stamp of approval either. Portals are fine because I can just unbolt them.

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have any of you seen this new gear reduction? Maybe they have it right. Here is a link to the web site. UTV Solutions-UTV Parts-UTV Accessories-UTV Gear Reduction Box.
15781271 1609627539052942 5264307948114045869 n

Reactions: CumminsPusher
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sorry if this was what you were already referring too.
Those are portal lifts. They are just shy of 3k. A little much for me, but that would be the way to go.

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh ok. I figured that they had to be pricey because they did not have the price listed on the web site. They do look well made though.

advertisement
HoundDog

HoundDog

Sep 11, 2016
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exactly. Same boat. I am not sure what to do. As of now I'm considering selling it and getting a 4 wheeler. Give the pioneer a few years to grow and work its problems out.

The portal lifts are just too much damn money.

I'm not absolutely sure I feel comfortable making changes without a Honda stamp of approval either. Portals are fine because I can just unbolt them.

Maybe a less aggressive wider or balloon type tire might help

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As of tonight my Pull-Pal is on order. No more worries about having something to winch to. Woohoo!

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
As of tonight my Pull-Pal is on order. No more worries about having something to winch to. Woohoo!
We call them dead man's anchor. If we are talking about the same thing. They are stupid useful. I need to get one.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ok after last week I'm interested! Do these work? How about frozen ground

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok after last week I'm interested! Do these work? How about frozen ground
I'm being the guinea pig... lol. From all the videos I've seen they work really well. Not sure about frozen ground, and it's really frozen here. It's supposed to work in ice and snow. For me it will be used more in muskeg, although there are times I'm out that the ground is frozen. We'll see!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm being the guinea pig... lol. From all the videos I've seen they work really well. Not sure about frozen ground, and it's really frozen here. It's supposed to work in ice and snow. For me it will be used more in muskeg, although there are times I'm out that the ground is frozen. We'll see!
I just looked and they are down to around 30 bucks.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I don't think you could make the one I'm getting for 30 bucks. Not sure what you are looking at.
Ahhh ya I didn't read fine print lol. I was just looking at the unit but it was...cough cough...1/10 scale. Nevermind. I shouldn't admit that

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ahhh ya I didn't read fine print lol. I was just looking at the unit but it was...cough cough...1/10 scale. Nevermind. I shouldn't admit that
Lmao. Check the link I posted. I'm getting the RW6,000. I thought about getting the next one up, but it's a little long for mounting on the roof ROPS like I want to do.

advertisement