P1000 where the honda falls short/ internal gears?

J

JTW

I'm not a mud guy either. I said this a while back and everyone said I was just complaining and it was operator error.

This was absolutely foot to floor. Mashed. 0 to 100 instantly and it's all the power I have. Can't even turn my tires.

My Polaris 570 turned tires better than this. Something must be wrong.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yeah.. I know some will say with it being geared it doesn't allow the RPM's to jump up and allow it to spin because it's "too high geared" but I think there is something else. I'm no mechanic but that just isn't right. Something is slipping somewhere if you're giving it all it has in L manual 1st gear and it doesn't spin! There's way too much power to not make it to the ground. How long have you had yours?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yeah.. I know some will say with it being geared it doesn't allow the RPM's to jump up and allow it to spin because it's "too high geared" but I think there is something else. I'm no mechanic but that just isn't right. Something is slipping somewhere if you're giving it all it has in L manual 1st gear and it doesn't spin! There's way too much power to not make it to the ground. How long have you had yours?
About 6 months. Been in the shop the majority of the time. Rolled it and then blew clutches shortly after. I have 400ish miles

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Did it do it before you put the bigger tires on?
Yeah. Obviously heavier tires didnt help. especially ones that actually get traction.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If it were me I'd take it back in..
Talked to my dealer about it months ago. They didn't really care

advertisement
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If it were me I'd take it back in..
Talked to my dealer about it months ago. They didn't really care
I'd crawl up someone's ass and camp out until they did!!
No idea how I could prove I have any power problems. I explained it to them and they said let's go for a ride...... On the trail I have crazy power. I have no low end. Mid and high. No way to prove it at dealer.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been in the skeg, and stuck in the skeg, but I was never not able to spin the tires. If I can I go around it, just like I've done with my Rancher and Rincon. What I will tell you is that there was times on those machines that I was so stuck in mud and skeg that I couldn't spin the tires on them. I've seen it happen to other brands, also. Most of my problems in the skeg is my skid plates. They cause the machine to sit, or partially float, on top, basically making me high centered. The tires will spin all day but I can't dig down to anything solid. This is THE reason a Pull-Pal is the next addition to my machine.

As for clutches burning up, I think it's a problem, but not necessarily for all the machines. There's guys on the FB page that have thousands of miles on their machines without a problem. There's guys on this forum with the same experience. Can I vouch that they aren't blowing smoke up everyone's @$$? Nope. There's way too much information on clutches, them being inspected, possibly having them relined, etc. On this forum to rehash it again in another post. I don't have an answer. Apparently nobody does. The ONE person on FB that thought he burned up his clutches with the gear reduction later posted that it was an electrical issue. What I can tell you about it is that the guy that was pushing them seems to have diappeared and the company that I think was doing them seems to have issues, if it's the right company. I was excited for a gear reduction, as all of us, were, because we know that low end isn't low enough. I wasn't about to go and put faith into an aftermarket fix that was being handled via text message, emails, messages on FB, and PayPal payments. Besides, the case grinding really freaked me out. Until Honda, or a BIG aftermarket provider comes out with a gear reduction, my money is going into things that I know work.

I'm not sure I added anything of value to this discussion. And, I'm waiting to see the results of the relining. We'll see!

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
@Boomboom907 I've had the same issue once when the rig was buried hard, like halfway up the doors taking three winches to get me out. But, we don't have nearly the volume of Muskeg as on the mainland. And I generally avoid it like the plague. I wonder if it's a function of the wheels being so bound and loaded up the trans senses it and disengages the clutch to prevent drivetrain failure? I assumed it was some sort of safety feature. Your issue does seem different if it's something that you should reasonably be able to drive out of though. Mine has no issues flinging normal muck and mud.

Reactions: AKRider and JTW
J

JTW

@Boomboom907 I've had the same issue once when the rig was buried hard, like halfway up the doors taking three winches to get me out. But, we don't have nearly the volume of Muskeg as on the mainland. And I generally avoid it like the plague. I wonder if it's a function of the wheels being so bound and loaded up the trans senses it and disengages the clutch to prevent drivetrain failure? I assumed it was some sort of safety feature. Your issue does seem different if it's something that you should reasonably be able to drive out of though. Mine has no issues flinging normal muck and mud.
You might be on to something there... it's sure easy to burn a machine up if someone were to sit there and spin until the tires caught fire. I know of several around here that's happened to in vehicle accidents. Typically drunk but it happens.

Reactions: Jediwrathchild
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep. One time I was stuck and a popo and I hooked winches together to winch me out. I couldn't winch myself out and he couldn't winch me out with just his. I first tried winching to a Yamaha wheeler and all that happened was I pulled him toward me... lol. These machines are heavy!

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
@AKRider yeah the P1K5 can be a real pig haha was glad I had a buddy and the State Troopers were out on the trail. I spent most of that day pulling everyone else out, but when I got stuck, boy howdy it took a lot more work!

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@AKRider yeah the P1K5 can be a real pig haha was glad I had a buddy and the State Troopers were out on the trail. I spent most of that day pulling everyone else out, but when I got stuck, boy howdy it took a lot more work!
That's why it's always a good idea to have another machine with, and NEVER get both machines stuck ;)

advertisement