P1000 where the honda falls short/ internal gears?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
so my problem is the honda in the muskeg. it just dont go. then i thought hey, if i got the gearing i think it would would be okay. now people are saying it still doesnt save the clutch, but will the internal gears make the tires spin? thats pretty much my only real issue, its not that the machine doesnt work well, its that it just cant work in the muskeg. which is mostly where we hunt.

mudholes are a little different. usually theres an end, and you can just throttle to solid ground. if you get stuck you winch out. the muskeg is much like a giant swamp with no end, and no trees.

has anyone actually used the internal gears? if they still burn clutches thats fine. i believe there is a problem with the clutch and it has nothing to do with tires or high/low. i burnt my clutches out about 40 miles after i got my big tires on, and i mostly drove in low gear.

i just want my rig to work in the skeg. thats all i want.

heres a great video describing what the skeg is.

alot of you southerners have never seen it. theres a wet skeg which is the very beginning of the video, then there is dry skegs which is around 6min mark. dry skeg is not mud, its like dry mulch. in the wet skeg you dont usually break through. you just sink a foot or so when you stop. youre not stuck, your just down about half your tires. all our other rigs just crawl out. the skeg wraps around your tires, but now your tires are bound up. since these rigs cant turn the tires when the engine isnt revved, and you cant rev the engine without the tires turning, your effectivley dead in the water. will the lower gears be all i would need to be able to throttle out? or is there really just no fix right now? i actually like the rig. its smooth and has 5 seats. but i need what i need.
so. anyone have any experience with the gearing? i dont wanna drop another grand just to find it doesnt suit my needs.

thanks
boomboom

Reactions: sharp
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
so my problem is the honda in the muskeg. it just dont go. then i thought hey, if i got the gearing i think it would would be okay. now people are saying it still doesnt save the clutch, but will the internal gears make the tires spin? thats pretty much my only real issue, its not that the machine doesnt work well, its that it just cant work in the muskeg. which is mostly where we hunt.

mudholes are a little different. usually theres an end, and you can just throttle to solid ground. if you get stuck you winch out. the muskeg is much like a giant swamp with no end, and no trees.

has anyone actually used the internal gears? if they still burn clutches thats fine. i believe there is a problem with the clutch and it has nothing to do with tires or high/low. i burnt my clutches out about 40 miles after i got my big tires on, and i mostly drove in low gear.

i just want my rig to work in the skeg. thats all i want.

heres a great video describing what the skeg is.

alot of you southerners have never seen it. theres a wet skeg which is the very beginning of the video, then there is dry skegs which is around 6min mark. dry skeg is not mud, its like dry mulch. in the wet skeg you dont usually break through. you just sink a foot or so when you stop. youre not stuck, your just down about half your tires. all our other rigs just crawl out. the skeg wraps around your tires, but now your tires are bound up. since these rigs cant turn the tires when the engine isnt revved, and you cant rev the engine without the tires turning, your effectivley dead in the water. will the lower gears be all i would need to be able to throttle out? or is there really just no fix right now? i actually like the rig. its smooth and has 5 seats. but i need what i need.
so. anyone have any experience with the gearing? i dont wanna drop another grand just to find it doesnt suit my needs.

thanks
boomboom
If you watch his videos even the turbo sucks. It's power to weight. The pioneer will never do well there. Honestly get an Argo with tracks. For hunting. Search rockdoctor07 on YouTube.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
There's a difference between what I'm doing and him. I'm not driving through the deep parts of the skeg they fell through. I was just explaining what the skeg was. We don't break through. It's in my first post. You sink down about a foot. Your belly isn't even close to touching. Nowhere close to stuck. Wheels just bound. Any info on gears

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's a difference between what I'm doing and him. I'm not driving through the deep parts of the skeg they fell through. I was just explaining what the skeg was. We don't break through. It's in my first post. You sink down about a foot. Your belly isn't even close to touching. Nowhere close to stuck. Wheels just bound. Any info on gears

It will sling mud like crazy

J

JTW

I'm glad I don't understand... I'm with plumber.. mine will flat throw s*** everywhere. I haven't seen any power to the ground issues!

Reactions: joeymt33
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm glad I don't understand... I'm with plumber.. mine will flat throw s*** everywhere. I haven't seen any power to the ground issues!
https://goo.gl/photos/RAPdWFSDHobaXXSYA

Cool. Here's a video of my rig stucker than s***. The 4 wheelers just drove right out. In this particular sot, my wheels couldn't hook up to anything once I got them turning. I was just in the wetter spot than the other guys. This particular video the tires turning wouldn't have done any good, i was stuck as s***. but that isn't the problem. The problem is all the other times which I don't have a video of, when I'm not stuck but in a similar position. My rig isn't nearly as buried. I'm only about a foot down, and the s*** isn't churned up into mud. It's soft grass. WILL get a video for you guys this summer. I'm looking for ways to make this rig work for me. Do you have any suggestions?

Do you understand now?

Would the gears have changed this?

J

JTW

I get what your saying.. but that just isn't right. Don't get me wrong.. I'd be pissed if it were mine. From the seat time I've had so far, I just don't think I'd have the same experience if I were in the same spot. I'm pretty sure it would be digging a hole to China!

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I get what your saying.. but that just isn't right. Don't get me wrong.. I'd be pissed if it were mine. From the seat time I've had so far, I just don't think I'd have the same experience if I were in the same spot. I'm pretty sure it would be digging a hole to China!
Is something wrong with mine?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm now wondering if something is just wrong with my rig...... I have bigger tires now but this was happening with my stock tires too.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe we just don't understand how bad that muskeg really is. Us southern boys barely understand the concept of snow lmao

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Maybe we just don't understand how bad that muskeg really is. Us southern boys barely understand the concept of snow lmao
Well it's like a waterbed. Imagine driving on jello. You don't break through usually unless your ripping.

Occasionally there's a rip in the surface and if you drive into it your sunk.

But If you stay on top it's just like a waterbed. Your feet sink in but your not stuck. Just lift your leg.

It's not bad, that's the problem. I'm not asking for a monster truck. I just need to start seeing 70 horse powers. When your tires are down in the skeg (not in mud) I can't get them to turn to crawl out.

That's the best I can describe it. I can't get vids for months obviously. It's snowing like a sonofagun. We got like 2 feet in the last 2 days

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These things have a good bottom end to them. Maybe there is something robbing you of some power.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
These things have a good bottom end to them. Maybe there is something robbing you of some power.
I'll check my air filter. Maybe it's clogged

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was working in Alaska on Annette island off the coast of Ketchikan building a road...I had never even heard of muskeg before...Drove a 5 ton military dump truck off in it with a load of rip rap on. Looks pretty innocent on top but once you brakes through there's no bottom.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was working in Alaska on Annette island off the coast of Ketchikan building a road...I had never even heard of muskeg before...Drove a 5 ton military dump truck off in it with a load of rip rap on. Looks pretty innocent on top but once you brakes through there's no bottom.
Holy. A deuce and a half in the skeg would be scary. Let alone a 5 ton. Did you ever get it out?

Reactions: dotman1 and sharp
J

JTW

I'm now wondering if something is just wrong with my rig...... I have bigger tires now but this was happening with my stock tires too.

Honestly.. you hear about the clutch issues. I'm curious if you don't fall into that limited group. Seems like one of the Alaska guys has a similar issue.. @AKRider you remember who? I just can't see how this thing would only lug and not spin.. I don't care what you're in, the power should be there. I'm not a big mud guy and we don't have skeg but I just don't see this being a problem for everybody if we were all put in the same s***!

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Honestly.. you hear about the clutch issues. I'm curious if you don't fall into that limited group. Seems like one of the Alaska guys has a similar issue.. @AKRider you remember who? I just can't see how this thing would only lug and not spin.. I don't care what you're in, the power should be there. I'm not a big mud guy and we don't have skeg but I just don't see this being a problem for everybody if we were all put in the same s***!
I'm not a mud guy either. I said this a while back and everyone said I was just complaining and it was operator error.

This was absolutely foot to floor. Mashed. 0 to 100 instantly and it's all the power I have. Can't even turn my tires.

My Polaris 570 turned tires better than this. Something must be wrong.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'll check my air filter. Maybe it's clogged

What happens when you push the throttle to the floor when in the skeg? Do the tires spin any? Does the motor die?

I've experienced some Bama Peanut Butter mud that will keep my tires from spinning. When I punch the throttle, it would spin the tires OR kill the motor. It wouldn't let the motor rev and tires stand still as if the clutch wasn't holding. This is with 30" tires in BPBM

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What happens when you push the throttle to the floor when in the skeg? Do the tires spin any? Does the motor die?

I've experienced some Bama Peanut Butter mud that will keep my tires from spinning. When I punch the throttle, it would spin the tires OR kill the motor. It wouldn't let the motor rev and tires stand still as if the clutch wasn't holding. This is with 30" tires in BPBM
30 inch intimidators. My rig just dies. Doesn't matter if it's skeg or mud. Won't spin the tires. feels powerful on trail, gutless in the hole.

advertisement