P1000 Water in transmission oil

W

White Rabbit

Jul 13, 2024
Ione, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just acquired this 2016 Pioneer 1000. As you can see it has very low hours, which is good. The bad I have found so far is water in transmission oil. Can I use the same oil in transmission as the engine? What vis are people using in colder climates? I plan to plow snow with it this winter

Side on Hour meter

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Some of us are using the Honda oil with moly in the sub trans. DO NOT USE IT IN THE ENGINE/DCT.

There's a photo of the bottle in the New Talon Owners thread linked in my sig.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just acquired this 2016 Pioneer 1000. As you can see it has very low hours, which is good. The bad I have found so far is water in transmission oil. Can I use the same oil in transmission as the engine? What vis are people using in colder climates? I plan to plow snow with it this winter

View attachment 436932 View attachment 436933

do you have a pic of the oil that is drained with the water in it ? or is it just on the dipstick?

Reactions: Smittyp and CID
Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Honda had issues with water entering the sub trans and fuel tank vents that route into the seat rail on 2016 models only.

Their solution was to drill 2 holes in the bottom of the seat rail on both sides near the outer edges

This was suppose to fix this problem, you may want to look into doing that, or like several members here have done, route the vents upward

W

White Rabbit

Jul 13, 2024
Ione, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good to know. New to this machine are the vent tubes obvious? P1k is at a seperate location.
I plan to drain the sub-trans oil. I have purchased new filters and plan to run one oil change after another till oil looks clean. I have plenty of oil and two filters
Do I leave old oil filter in after new oil? As I assume to drain this first round.
Or new oil filter and new oil?
Just want to add this site is great
IMG 2335

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good to know. New to this machine are the vent tubes obvious? P1k is at a seperate location.
I plan to drain the sub-trans oil. I have purchased new filters and plan to run one oil change after another till oil looks clean. I have plenty of oil and two filters
Do I leave old oil filter in after new oil? As I assume to drain this first round.
Or new oil filter and new oil?
Just want to add this site is great
View attachment 437260
The sub trans is a sealed, stand alone oil system. It has no filters.
If the engine and DCT have no signs of water in them, a quick oil and filter change should be good for you.
Sub trans may require 2 or 3 changes before getting all evidence of water out of it.

advertisement
W

White Rabbit

Jul 13, 2024
Ione, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hmm. So the sub-trans is not part of the DCT. Is there a schematic which shows the powertrain? It would help a Noob better understand how to maintain and drive.

Reactions: Smittyp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check this thread out.

Reactions: Smittyp and CID
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hmm. So the sub-trans is not part of the DCT. Is there a schematic which shows the powertrain? It would help a Noob better understand how to maintain and drive.
Hi - utube or springing for a manual would be suggested to self educate yourself .

I’ll get slammed here for this - I refer to sub transmission as “transfer case” - it just does P, R, N, H, L…….. separate oil - same type and viscosity as engine oil.

When you drain the oil in sub-transmission - please post a pic.

W

White Rabbit

Jul 13, 2024
Ione, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was wondering if the honda name was throwing me off. Thanks for the clarification, similar to my old CJ-5.

Reactions: Smittyp
Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was wondering if the honda name was throwing me off. Thanks for the clarification, similar to my old CJ-5.
Nice buggy! If you upgrade your membership you will have access to the Honda shop manual. There are a lot of very helpful and experienced members here but I think you need a manual. It will tell you exactly which drain plug to remove for your sub trans etc. There are 3 drain plugs, 2 filters and 2 fill caps (1 is a dipstick). A lot of guys have screwed this up because they never had a manual. Good luck.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 436932 View attachment 436933
Extend your vent lines. Fuel tank may have water as well if your sub does they both vent into same location. I sell easy to install kit talked about on this forum.

W

White Rabbit

Jul 13, 2024
Ione, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oil (left) first sub-trans oil change. Oil from third oil change (right). Using Shell Rotella T-6 oil. Will this clear up with more changes? Suggestions?

IMG 2398 IMG 2406 IMG 2396

advertisement