P1000 Knocking in engine?

C

Cowman

Nov 13, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Pretty sure it's not an engine mount....definitely in sync with engine rpm.

Any ideas from you folks that have listened to the video?

Reactions: Backwoods
RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pretty sure it's not an engine mount....definitely in sync with engine rpm.

Any ideas from you folks that have listened to the video?
Video worked! But I’m embarrassed to say, I can’t hear the noise. 😳

Looking forward to hearing what all the experts think.

Edit: do you think it sounds like same frequency as engine rpm or half of engine rpm? That can help determine what to look for. 1/2 speed could be exhaust or cam.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ok, trying again. Posted on Youtube and copied link...hope this works. If not I may be hopeless:

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Haha
Reactions: Farmer and CID
C

Cowman

Nov 13, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok, pulled the skid pan and removed the air filter, etc. to where I could get a close look at things. It is not exhaust. The noise is confined to the area around the intakes. I did a close examination and tightened both ducts to the intake, but it made no difference. There is no bottom end noise. I took a short piece of rubber hose, place one end to my ear and the other end near both intake openings in the filter housing and the noise sounds the same in both.

I don't know of any vacuum hoses near the intake area, but I plan to get my shop manual out and take a look.

Can't decide if it is a non-issue or something to worry over....perhaps wrist pin or piston slap. Carbon build-up?

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Ok, pulled the skid pan and removed the air filter, etc. to where I could get a close look at things. It is not exhaust. The noise is confined to the area around the intakes. I did a close examination and tightened both ducts to the intake, but it made no difference. There is no bottom end noise. I took a short piece of rubber hose, place one end to my ear and the other end near both intake openings in the filter housing and the noise sounds the same in both.

I don't know of any vacuum hoses near the intake area, but I plan to get my shop manual out and take a look.

Can't decide if it is a non-issue or something to worry over....perhaps wrist pin or piston slap. Carbon build-up?
If it's a carbon build up, there are 2 ways to remove the carbon. One is to physically remove the cylinder head and the other is to use water.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

does it burn oil?

C

Cowman

Nov 13, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Uses no oil. I have not adjusted the valves, but that is next on my to-do list.

Reactions: Backwoods
advertisement

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I can’t remember who, but someone on here experienced muffler cracking problems a couple of times. To verify an exhaust leak, you can use a piece of vacuum hose in the same manor as the screw driver for a knock. If it is an exhaust leak when you get close with the vacuum tubing end it will become evident. Also if its cracked you will either see excessive rust or black soot around the area.
That was me:). I'm on my 4th muffler, which also had it's weld crack. It's always at the same spot...right where the catalytic converter is welded to the muffler can. The last time it broke, I had it re-welded with a much wider bead and so far, so good. I've also had my #2 header pipe crack just behind the flange. If my new one cracks, ill try to have it welded too.

Reactions: Mopower58

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
100% exhaust weld is cracked where the cat meets the muffler can! I'm VERY familiar with that sound. Any good welder can put a good fix on it! The good part is that the exhaust system comes apart in 2 sections so you don't have to mess with the headers. Literally the hardest part is getting the hangers out of the rubber mounts! (I think there's a tool for that. Worth every penny). Keep us posted!!

C

Cowman

Nov 13, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I will check again, but as I said, the noise as best I can tell is coming from the vicinity of the intake area. I could not isolate the noise to any area of the exhaust. But I will take another look at the area you menion.

Thank you for the informaiton. Much appreciated.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will check again, but as I said, the noise as best I can tell is coming from the vicinity of the intake area. I could not isolate the noise to any area of the exhaust. But I will take another look at the area you menion.

Thank you for the informaiton. Much appreciated.
Don't just look. Feel with your hand for exhaust blowing out of somewhere that it shouldn't. Like I said earlier I couldn't visually see where mine was cracked but could feel the exhaust blowing out. Good luck

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ok, trying again. Posted on Youtube and copied link...hope this works. If not I may be hopeless:

Hate to say it, but after listing to that it sounds line my 16’ since day one! Over 5k miles and 👌🏼 just drive it

C

Cowman

Nov 13, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hate to say it, but after listing to that it sounds line my 16’ since day one! Over 5k miles and 👌🏼 just drive it
My son tells me the same thing....just drive it. And he is usually dead on about mechanical issues. The extra noise gradually appeared back in the late winter and has been around since. I would not be concerned except that when a new noise of that nature appears in any engine, I tend to alert to it and try to find out what is going on. I guess I wanted to sort of reassure myself it wasn't something that needed attention before ruining an engine.

Right now, my plan is to keep driving it, though I am going to dig around a little more to see if I can come up with something. Other than initial electrical issues due to a faulty wiring harness (replaced by dealer recall) it has been a very reliable vehicle that has met my needs here on the cattle farm where I live.

RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That was me:). I'm on my 4th muffler, which also had it's weld crack. It's always at the same spot...right where the catalytic converter is welded to the muffler can. The last time it broke, I had it re-welded with a much wider bead and so far, so good. I've also had my #2 header pipe crack just behind the flange. If my new one cracks, ill try to have it welded too.
Is it possible you have an engine mount or exhaust hanger issue?

Reactions: Jerryg
RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad I’m not the only one that can’t hear anything strange in the video! 😂

I’m not saying it’s not there, but I don’t hear it.

• Haha
Reactions: CID and Remington

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is it possible you have an engine mount or exhaust hanger issue?
I've thought about that too, but I cant seem to find anything amiss. All 4 of my hangers are intact and I cant see anything wrong with my engine mounts. Maybe it's way I run the machine, which consists of accelerating and then coming to a stop and then idling for 30 seconds to a minute, then repeat...500 times per day! (I use it to read water meters in a rural area). 5-6 hours out of it's 8 hour workday is spent idling, which is when the most severe engine rocking occurs.

advertisement