2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's good to hear!

Sent from iPhone

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
CP: I know you said that you had been thru several water crossings and the 3rd time it died! I don't think water is splashing and causing it. I think the 3rd time your radiator fan was on and when water hits the radiator the fan throws water everywhere causing it to be sucked in the air duct. My son & I had 2 RZR 800s models we had them snorkel and we put a switch on each of ours to kill the radiator fan when we would cross ponds, high creeks Etc. I had a Honda big red first year they came out I snorkel it and sank it under water for over a hour and a half waiting on a track hoe to pull me out. All gauges and complete motor under water idling. Never went dead and never got any water in the motor. The steering wheel was completely under water. If they are snorkel right air tight no water can enter the motor long as it running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
CP: I know you said that you had been thru several water crossings and the 3rd time it died! I don't think water is splashing and causing it. I think the 3rd time your radiator fan was on and when water hits the radiator the fan throws water everywhere causing it to be sucked in the air duct. My son & I had 2 RZR 800s models we had them snorkel and we put a switch on each of ours to kill the radiator fan when we would cross ponds, high creeks Etc. I had a Honda big red first year they came out I snorkel it and sank it under water for over a hour and a half waiting on a track hoe to pull me out. All gauges and complete motor under water idling. Never went dead and never got any water in the motor. The steering wheel was completely under water. If they are snorkel right air tight no water can enter the motor long as it running.

Never thought of that. Great insight.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

It was the third time through this puddle but there were a few prior that weren't as deep. The fan could possibly be a part of it that is a possibility I hadn't thought about but I do think water comes from the tires as well it's pretty open and any water near the intake will be pulled in. It will take a decent amount as there is a drain I don't think rain will effect the machine maybe possibly a huge downfall. Water didn't come from anywhere else and I believe your correct in saying it'll run forever if the snorkel is air tight yes. Even now with the machine you can get deep up to about an inch from top of grill as long as you're not creating any wake. I went over the design very well with the dealership and a little water from say loose clamp more then likely will not effect it because it's got to suck up two feet and would wind up sitting in the lower hose. I do believe my situation was a series of puddles that filled it. Two quarts is a lot for a puddle the size of what we entered. I did not go into the motor slowly and fill it up and I don't believe it was the splash from just the one puddle. There are accounts where people went through big water then died in smaller. At any rate let's just snorkel these and call it a day. I can now see anything that could enter the motor and for me I like it. This may not have been designed for puddle jumping however many vehicles I've been in would be fine and in fact my daughter was through the same one on a crf110 all day long. I truly love Honda they are better and I love my 1000 but unacceptable

Last edited:
perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
CP want to air scoop into a pipe to the engine compartment not under hood. the behind the seat will be tough will keep looking at it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Oh ok I understand.

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
that is what I am going for will look on eBay Thanks perry

Delton loves his he has got that same one

Sent from iPhone

advertisement
S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
guys what i am saying is that water in the engine won't kill them. i personally ingested a good bit of water into mine and drove it quite a bit with that water in it. something else is failing, maybe not in all cases but at least most. maybe its just new machines that haven't broke in yet... i don't know. but most of these service techs are just pulling at straws and guessing. i mean i ride out and will hit water at full speed with a wave coming over the hood.... no problems yet let alone when i filled it. i'd love to actually see one of these failed engine disassembled and someone actually determine the failure point.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
BTW they also have problems with i believe the counter shafts grenading as well.... or some balancer part.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
guys what i am saying is that water in the engine won't kill them. i personally ingested a good bit of water into mine and drove it quite a bit with that water in it. something else is failing, maybe not in all cases but at least most. maybe its just new machines that haven't broke in yet... i don't know. but most of these service techs are just pulling at straws and guessing. i mean i ride out and will hit water at full speed with a wave coming over the hood.... no problems yet let alone when i filled it. i'd love to actually see one of these failed engine disassembled and someone actually determine the failure point.
@slowandeasy I'm not trying to kick a dead horse here but mine and many others have absolutely been about the water. #1 when you have a motor that quits running and has two quarts of water in the crank case it's hard to deny the possibility #2 there is water throughout the inside of the system should indicate its entry point #3 just look at the intake system Image
Tell me if two quarts of water isn't just about correct to fill the lower cavity? #4 when the water in the motor doesn't have time to make it the 1 second (guessing here but can't be long) to circulate from the motor to the transmission... What does that say. Maybe like suggested earlier the fan is helping or this or that but one thing I'm certain without a doubt is the water from puddles seized my motor. And several others. Case exactly like mine. I read of 4 cases prior to mine. I don't let things go ever and research the crap and analyze everything I assure you of that and it's water. Ok so there are issues I've heard with crank on a very few but that WILL NOT allow two quarts of water into the motor without being VERY obvious! It won't. I can't say I'm a rocket scientist as I'm just a simple man with a passion but water traces throughout this type of system with two quarts of water in the motor and none in the trans means it inhaled all that water instantly and seized it instantly. That's just it. Sometimes 1+1 is really just 2. I couldn't believe it happened the way it did but it just did.i tried to look into everything I possibly could to fight the no warranty thing! Maybe some people let off the throttle when they hit,maybe the front filter was dirtier and didn't allow as much water,maybe it wasn't as hot the fan didn't push,maybe they had aftermarket tires that didn't splash as much,maybe they weren't hitting previous puddles or as fast, maybe because their lower clamps were loose and actually helped by allowing water to drain from previous puddles lots of maybes to why some go down and others don't. And I get it that some play in water with this machine unprotected while still knowing this information and I will say it's an 18k machine usually with lots of time and money in accessories lots of memories all gone instantly! Honda will not cover it. Your only chance is insurance with I was fortunate to have because I'm making payments and I still lost 1000's! And a lot of time, time I could've been up with my family having fun rather then worrying what's going to happen,are we going to be ok,what now. Time that was waisted on the previous unit time to pull everything out of it time to try to rebuild! If you've got plenty of time and money then no worries if not snorkel the damn thing!

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well i really like my new rig, but must say miss my 88 350 fourtrax, never let me down. Just glad i don't have all those water issues here in eastern washington where i hunt. If i want to play in water, have 3 different size boats designed for that. Just saying.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Shoot you have one of the biggest lakes around. Aren't you close to chelan? Btw I love my rig as well! I hate threads that make it sound like a pos but this had to be addressed

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: Eltobgi
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I have had a few SXS. Honda big red. (2) RZR 800S (2) XP900 voodoo blue which was top of the line then factory P/S. And now the PK5 deluxe which is my best one by far. Water & dust is a motors worst enemy. Dust being a slow death water being instance death. I have seen bent rods from water. Water don't compress. The photo that CP posted showing the intake system note that the air box is almost as high as the intake! It would of been nice if Honda would of put the air intake into the roll cage nice and neat and high and on the side. Everyone on this forum knows that water can enter thru thru the air intake so like CP says it's cheaper and quicker to solve the problem now rather than wait When I get mine done I will post. I got ideas but not done it yet. As of now I only ride on my farm and to the store to buy horse feed. Honda slogan: YOU MEET THE NICEST PEOPLE ON A HONDA!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hurry up and post it the wet weather is coming and all help will then be appreciated!

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: Eltobgi
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Got mine done. Still uses the pre filter. Blocked off the front air intake and drilled a 2 1/2 inch hole for 2 inch PVC going towards cab

advertisement