2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After today's riding with @Delton, we could tell a significant different in heat on the plastic shield between the seat bottom and seat back. Mine was barely warm and his was too hot to hold your hand on it. His daughter was complaining like my boy used to do. Now I've got the additional heat shield from Bayouownbeer installed this evening and I will try it out on the next ride.

Sent from my iPad 7G
Joey I did the insulation under the plastic piece a while back and it helped some... I did the insulation over the opening under the seat cushion this past weekend and it was the icing on the cake. made it quieter and significantly cooler in the cab. wish I hadn't waited so long, but all good now.

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
After today's riding with @Delton, we could tell a significant different in heat on the plastic shield between the seat bottom and seat back. Mine was barely warm and his was too hot to hold your hand on it. His daughter was complaining like my boy used to do. Now I've got the additional heat shield from Bayouownbeer installed this evening and I will try it out on the next ride.

Sent from my iPad 7G
I love mine! Especially when you splash through water and heat comes up from the motor. The heat doesn't come up like it used to

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: joeymt33
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ive just got the sticky insulation over the opening and a layer under the seat. It made a huge difference but like Joey said, the middle seat was unbearable. I didn't realize it got so hot til my daughter complained about it. I ordered Bayou's heat shield today. Plus I'm gonna put the sticky stuff on all the plastic trim like Joey did. And still considering putting header wrap on all the exhaust parts I can reach.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well crap! I just took a ride today up to the in laws house. It was 100°F and I rode 60mph or faster for a few miles. When I returned, I smelled gear oil. I saw that the rear diff pinion seal had leaked oil. I think the seal is ok but I'm throwing all bellows in the trash. They have worked perfect for 700+ miles but 95° and higher must be their limit.

Reactions: Madore128 and Tot
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here is the picture of the oil that has been slinging onto the skid plate under the rear diff

A8c4ada0bbf45d5271e1c2a006dcb54f

Reactions: Dp5hunter and Tot
chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I got about 3 and never put them on. Guess I'll just extend hose if ever I do anything

T

taylorman

Jun 19, 2016
Lafayette La
Why use bellows instead of just extending the hoses higher?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Why use bellows instead of just extending the hoses higher?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bellows are a completely sealed system and much easier to just pop one on versus running the tubing.

advertisement
M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
The bellows are a completely sealed system and much easier to just pop one on versus running the tubing.
Dude I just posted about this. I have the high lifter snorkel kit with the bellows an that same thing happend to mine few weeks ago. Called high lifter an they sent out a recall on the kits. An sending out new hose to fix the problem. But my seal was junk. An high lifter is saying there gunna do right by me.

M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
Well crap! I just took a ride today up to the in laws house. It was 100°F and I rode 60mph or faster for a few miles. When I returned, I smelled gear oil. I saw that the rear diff pinion seal had leaked oil. I think the seal is ok but I'm throwing all bellows in the trash. They have worked perfect for 700+ miles but 95° and higher must be their limit.
Mine only made it 1 week lol

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Mine only made it 1 week lol

Wow, guess im lucky I made it 700 miles. I typically ride slow and in water so I'm sure that helped.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Dude I just posted about this. I have the high lifter snorkel kit with the bellows an that same thing happend to mine few weeks ago. Called high lifter an they sent out a recall on the kits. An sending out new hose to fix the problem. But my seal was junk. An high lifter is saying there gunna do right by me.

View attachment 17860

This is what my three looked like. The rear diff was expanded the most. I've replaced them now with hose.

While extending the hoses, I also changed the rear gear oil. One interesting thing is that after changing gear oil, I noticed the rear differential made less noise. I use the exact same gear oil. I thought this was kind of funny because some people say that when they change to a synthetic oil, they noticed less gear noise. Maybe my gear oil had gotten too hot and broke down to where it was too thin and I was hearing increased noise levels. I'm not sure what to think about this now but it was a lot quieter. Maybe the rear differential get so hot that it will require the use of synthetic. I just use a conventional gear oil because I tend to change it quite often whether it be getting water in it or like this, week getting a leak. If I noticed the noise starting to slowly come back, I may have to use one of those $20 bottles of oil. Come to think of it, my differential has been pretty quiet until this summer.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This is what my three looked like. The rear diff was expanded the most. I've replaced them now with hose.

While extending the hoses, I also changed the rear gear oil. One interesting thing is that after changing gear oil, I noticed the rear differential made less noise. I use the exact same gear oil. I thought this was kind of funny because some people say that when they change to a synthetic oil, they noticed less gear noise. Maybe my gear oil had gotten too hot and broke down to where it was too thin and I was hearing increased noise levels. I'm not sure what to think about this now but it was a lot quieter. Maybe the rear differential get so hot that it will require the use of synthetic. I just use a conventional gear oil because I tend to change it quite often whether it be getting water in it or like this, week getting a leak. If I noticed the noise starting to slowly come back, I may have to use one of those $20 bottles of oil. Come to think of it, my differential has been pretty quiet until this summer.
I swear to you I noticed a difference both times I tried it Joey. My wife actually said "it sounds happier now" this weekend and she didn't even know I had done it

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I swear to you I noticed a difference both times I tried it Joey. My wife actually said "it sounds happier now" this weekend and she didn't even know I had done it

I'm not doubting that people notice it now. I just think it's funny that I noticed a difference swapping to fresh oil of the exact same kind. If I had put in a synthetic oil this time, I would be saying the same thing that other people are. That synthetic oil's make the differential quieter. I had also previously said that there was a noise reduction when I used lucas oil additive. The funny thing is, I had some gear oil pre-mixed with a bottle of Lucas additive that was left over from the first time. I had enough of that leftover to fill my differential again this time.

Now I've got to determine if my differential returned to being noisy because of the cheap oil that I use had broken down.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Lucas 75/140 for sure did the trick. What I found it weird though that a simple oil change will quiet it down a bit. I still get Leary to suggest that.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been shopping around for vent hose (line/tubing). I see that there are different sizes whether it's the diffs or fuel breather or sub-trans. Can I ask what you have used? The only thing I seem to come up with is the clear poly stuff which I expect will work but it's not in the same class as the rubber stuff. On another note, I was having trouble finding a reducing barb connector until I saw the kit you got from Orielly's. I stopped in and sure enough right in front of my eyes...Thanks.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have been shopping around for vent hose (line/tubing). I see that there are different sizes whether it's the diffs or fuel breather or sub-trans. Can I ask what you have used? The only thing I seem to come up with is the clear poly stuff which I expect will work but it's not in the same class as the rubber stuff. On another note, I was having trouble finding a reducing barb connector until I saw the kit you got from Orielly's. I stopped in and sure enough right in front of my eyes...Thanks.

I took a similar sized barb to O'rielly auto and asked for the tubing.

Glad you found the box of barbs, those are handy.

Let me know if I can help

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement