P1000 Trailer help

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make you a deal on this one... considering selling in the spring anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may have to contact you about that, once I narrow down what I'm looking for.
Appreciate the offer.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got a 7x10 aluminum. It's super handy for a trailer. Easily push it by hand anywhere I want. It's a snug fit. If I did it over I would of went with a 6x12.
I am actually thinking about buying a 77" x 12' aluminum. It only weight 680lbs. How do you like the aluminum? It makes me nervous simply because I have always had steel but my nerves have no reason behind them. Just due to being ignorant about the aluminum strength. How does it handle and stand up to abuse? Thanks

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am actually thinking about buying a 77" x 12' aluminum. It only weight 680lbs. How do you like the aluminum? It makes me nervous simply because I have always had steel but my nerves have no reason behind them. Just due to being ignorant about the aluminum strength. How does it handle and stand up to abuse? Thanks

I've had an all aluminum 12' trailer for about 5 years now. Love it. Went to aluminum because of the excessive amount of salt used here in the winters. Rusty stuff makes me crazy.
Had the same concerns as you. No issues so far. Use it for everything from hauling gravel to 4 wheelers and SxS.
I went with treated deck for ease of adding d-rings etc.

Reactions: sharp
Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had an all aluminum 12' trailer for about 5 years now. Love it. Went to aluminum because of the excessive amount of salt used here in the winters. Rusty stuff makes me crazy.
Had the same concerns as you. No issues so far. Use it for everything from hauling gravel to 4 wheelers and SxS.
I went with treated deck for ease of adding d-rings etc.

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking at. It has a wooden deck and aluminum ramp. I guess I was just concerned if I start really tightening up the ratchet strap that it would bend the rail. This is the one I am considering.
IMG 0412

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
F62bb0b9cc861899350e61c53600328a
Here is what I use. Can't see the wood deck under the snow .
I generally tie at the lowest points of the side rail stakes when needed, not the rail itself. If you add flush d-rings to the deck, even better.
I'm in process of bending up some front tire chocks similar to what motorcycle guys use. Trying to narrow down quick release system.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
F62bb0b9cc861899350e61c53600328a
Here is what I use. Can't see the wood deck under the snow .
I generally tie at the lowest points of the side rail stakes when needed, not the rail itself. If you add flush d-rings to the deck, even better.
I'm in process of bending up some front tire chocks similar to what motorcycle guys use. Trying to narrow down quick release system.

I have to many trailers lol but they all have there purpose. I have a 4x6 I use with the lawn mower, a 7x16 tandem I use for the side by side and lawn mower, a 7x20 car hauler that I got for a steal of a price that I put the tractor on, and a 7.6x28 gooseneck that I only use 2 or 3 times a year, but I have a use for everyone so I will not sell 1 of the other. My philosophy is go as big as you can as it is just like the pioneer, if you buy the 700 you will always want more, but if you buy the 1000 first you will never need anything else. Just my thoughts.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I look at a trailers as a tools and have the right tool for the job philosophy. When I run the valves on the hot rod I could use my 18" cresent wrench, yes it would work but wouldn't be ideal for the job.

While my 6' X 10' tilt trailer is adequate, IMO it's not ideal as the deck is balanced over the axle and as I mentioned in my other post it doesn't put enough weight on the tongue to pull well. I'll find a 6' X 12' and sell the one I have then I'll be set, for now. LOL

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I look at a trailers as a tools and have the right tool for the job philosophy. When I run the valves on the hot rod I could use my 18" cresent wrench, yes it would work but wouldn't be ideal for the job.

While my 6' X 10' tilt trailer is adequate, IMO it's not ideal as the deck is balanced over the axle and as I mentioned in my other post it doesn't put enough weight on the tongue to pull well. I'll find a 6' X 12' and sell the one I have then I'll be set, for now. LOL

I have a 7x14+v-nose that would be perfect for the P1, except the ramp door is only 72" high. Either replacing with another cargo trailer or a toy hauler.
Prefer not to trailer open in the winter if possible. Messy roads up here.

Reactions: sharp and KevinSC
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Zero issues. If I was going to use it alot I would spend the extra on a top of the line one. They definitely are not as sturdy as steel. They flex witch I'm not used to. But the weight savings and ability to move it so easy. Along without being a rust bucket in 2 years is a huge advantage

Reactions: Corona1 and sharp
advertisement
Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Zero issues. If I was going to use it alot I would spend the extra on a top of the line one. They definitely are not as sturdy as steel. They flex witch I'm not used to. But the weight savings and ability to move it so easy. Along without being a rust bucket in 2 years is a huge advantage
For most of his life it will only be a weekend warrior. The only time that I will put a lot of miles on it is when I moved from Alaska to North Carolina. But once I'm there it will just be the hall the side by side to go riding And hunting

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need to get a trailer for my P1k5. I own a 5x8 trailer and its super handy. I'm debating between keeping this and getting a 6x10 or 12 low side single axle (cheapest), sell the 5x8 and buy a single axle 6x12 higher side or possibly a tandem axle 6x12 or maybe 14. I know the tandem will tow nicer, but it also is more difficult to maneuver by hand. Feedback on trailer experience and more importantly regrets is what I'd like to hear. I have concerns about getting in and out of the Pioneer in a highsided trailer vs a flatbed type design, but like the higher sides for dump runs and bringing extra gear when I take the Pioneer. I will be towing with a F350 diesel, so brakes etc are a non-issue.
I bought a 12' trailer and wish I'd bought the 10' instead.

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I left out that I also have unlimited access to a 8x24 enclosed car hauler, which I use for hunting trips mostly. I disagree about the never too big comment, the 8x24 is much too big for my purposes, even when hauling a jeep, atvs and 4 guys hunting gear.
I understand the limits of load capacity of a single axle, but I also don't follow those ratings as limits for my use, just a guideline. I understand the legal argument, but know lots of PD and it is rarely even looked at unless it is a blatant overload.
I am hoping to use the pioneer trailer for the same purposes as my small 5x8. Storage is a bit of an issue.
I bought a 12' trailer and wish I'd bought the 10' instead.
Why do you wish you got a 10' instead? Do you have a trailer with sides or just a flatbed style? Thx

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
@Jimmyscoin I bought a 16' tandem from White Spruce in ANC. Really happy with the service from them. I think they may have a store in North Pole a bit closer to you.

Reactions: Jimmyscoin
Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Jimmyscoin I bought a 16' tandem from White Spruce in ANC. Really happy with the service from them. I think they may have a store in North Pole a bit closer to you.
Yeah, they have one up here. That's where I'm looking at it. I just hate paying the extra cost because it's "Alaska" but I guess if you want one you just have to suck it up.

Reactions: Jediwrathchild
KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5