Surging idle at first startup on 2018 LE

ElmerFudd

ElmerFudd

Jul 19, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-3
3500 miles on 2018 1000 LE. Idle surging at startup. Engine light erratic. Shut off start again usually ok then. Noticed if I turn the key on and wait till all the light tests are done then start it that it doesn't happen?? Any ideas.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
3500 miles on 2018 1000 LE. Idle surging at startup. Engine light erratic. Shut off start again usually ok then. Noticed if I turn the key on and wait till all the light tests are done then start it that it doesn't happen?? Any ideas.
My 16 does the same sounds like it's gonna die or forgot to breathe. Once its warmed up it doesn't do it.

Reactions: Remington and ChadD
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
I suspect it's a lack of fuel.....as in you haven't given the pump adequate time to prime the system. I always turn the key on, wait for the lights to complete the test cycle (you can also hear the fuel pump relay kick on, then off after a few seconds during this), then start it.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I suspect it's a lack of fuel.....as in you haven't given the pump adequate time to prime the system. I always turn the key on, wait for the lights to complete the test cycle (you can also hear the fuel pump relay kick on, then off after a few seconds during this), then start it.
X2!

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
how is your air filter? When was the last time u checked it? Or your snorkel filter if u snorkeled it?

ElmerFudd

ElmerFudd

Jul 19, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for all of your replies. Guess I won't worry bout it. I am one of those that is always trying to fix stuff before its broke.
One reason is because in my country there is no cell service in the back country. But I carry an Inreach for that. THANKS AGAIN. Great club!!

advertisement
ElmerFudd

ElmerFudd

Jul 19, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well folks I'm back. Been a long summer already. Took buggy to dealer for the surging idle, 29 code.
Replaced IACV valve. Didn't fix it. Found broken wire. (Just like some of you guys said was common on some 2016-2018 models)
Worked for a while then again same problem. Wouldn't start or idle without throttle. Took it back again. Fixed another wire. Worked for a while then same thing. Told dealer I wanted a new pigtail with connector. Took it back, they put a whole new wiring harness in it. $700. Doesn't Honda make or sell just a pigtail to the IACV valve?? Seems ok but now my voltage meter (Honda, came with buggy), is going crazy. Just all over the place, up and down. I called Honda to see if they would cover any of the new harness due to the 2016-2018 problems. And you all know the answer to that. Never heard of it. The internet is full of liars.
Any ideas on the volt meter going crazy?? You guys have been great. Everytime I mention something I learned on this forum or on the net they get a pissed off look.

Reactions: ChadD
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well folks I'm back. Been a long summer already. Took buggy to dealer for the surging idle, 29 code.
Replaced IACV valve. Didn't fix it. Found broken wire. (Just like some of you guys said was common on some 2016-2018 models)
Worked for a while then again same problem. Wouldn't start or idle without throttle. Took it back again. Fixed another wire. Worked for a while then same thing. Told dealer I wanted a new pigtail with connector. Took it back, they put a whole new wiring harness in it. $700. Doesn't Honda make or sell just a pigtail to the IACV valve?? Seems ok but now my voltage meter (Honda, came with buggy), is going crazy. Just all over the place, up and down. I called Honda to see if they would cover any of the new harness due to the 2016-2018 problems. And you all know the answer to that. Never heard of it. The internet is full of liars.
Any ideas on the volt meter going crazy?? You guys have been great. Everytime I mention something I learned on this forum or on the net they get a pissed off look.
Honda themselves do not offer repair kits.
Our very own @Hondasxs has created and stocks many common repair harnesses. The forum store is closed right now, and will reopen soon I believe.

What is the voltmeter doing?
Have you thrown a DVOM on the battery to see if the voltmeter is lying, or telling the truth?
With a complete harness swap, you may have loose or dirty connections. You may also have connections not seated 100%. I would suggest going over everything and confirming they are connected, after you verify voltage at the battery when running.

Reactions: ChadD and Rayger143
ElmerFudd

ElmerFudd

Jul 19, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I will try to attach a video of voltmeter. It is just up and down constantly from zero to 13 volts. New battery this spring has been consistent at 14.2 - 14.3 I will check battery voltage.

Reactions: ChadD
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will try to attach a video of voltmeter. It is just up and down constantly from zero to 13 volts. New battery this spring has been consistent at 14.2 - 14.3 I will check battery voltage.
disconnect the wiring from the voltmeter. then check voltage with a DVOM. See if the gauge is defective.

Reactions: Remington and ChadD
ElmerFudd

ElmerFudd

Jul 19, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-3
G
disconnect the wiring from the voltmeter. then check voltage with a DVOM. See if the gauge is defective.
Good idea.. I was in there once. Heater plug was not all the way plugged in. And they didn't reconnect the lights I added. Those two bolts on the bottom of that compartment are a real Hillary to get started again. You guys (I'm not assuming your gender) are great. Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: TripleB and ChadD
ElmerFudd

ElmerFudd

Jul 19, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-3
G

Good idea.. I was in there once. Heater plug was not all the way plugged in. And they didn't reconnect the lights I added. Those two bolts on the bottom of that compartment are a real Hillary to get started again. You guys (I'm not assuming your gender) are great. Thanks.
Thought I had it diagnosed as bad meter. Volt meter showed good voltage. Then I went on a ride and checked voltage when I got back, battery showing 8.5v. Wires from meter showing 2.5v. Called dealer that installed new wiring harness they said to check plug with 3 yellow wires under the seat. I did. Alot of slimey greasey stuff on connectors under seat. Is this due to the heater? Cleaned plug up and it did not help. 3 yellow wires are warm at an idle?? I take it that is the voltage regulator that the 3 yellow wires plug into?? Is there a way to test it? Also, I connected a battery to the meter and it was a consistent solid 12.6 volts. Don't think its the meter.