P500 PSA: Do you know where all your exits are?

KyGal83

KyGal83

KGB, SNS, Duchess Sheldon, Ms. Daisy, Natasha
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I am becoming the queen of the P5 flop... starting to rival Lee with those. If you trail ride a P5 it is inevitable and unavoidable... at some point you will flop it. I recently had another flop that put me in a precarious situation, and had me asking myself....

Do I know where all my exits are? How quickly can I get out of this thing?

For several years.. (several of you can attest to this.) I was terrified of flopping my P5 over. I was worried I would get hurt, or hurt my P5. I did not know what to expect, how to get out. Which meant I did not push it to better my driving skills. Now I have had several flops that range in severity. Not all flops are the same. So if you haven't flopped one, here are some scenarios I have experienced and maybe can help others to be prepared. Of course there is the number one solution.... Don't flop! But where is the fun if you don't push your comfort level a little.

1st Flop:

This one was basically a nothing of flop on to an embankment and wasn't fully on my side. It was more of a bad tilt. This one did not require me to exit or even unbuckle. (That is not usually the case.) SmittyP & Futzin were able to right me in a matter of a minute and on we went.

436701 abe36caf2111b902eb427b3a824ec463

2nd Flop:

Fully down. Came around a corner too fast to slick ruts, got cross threaded on them and did a front tire pirouette to a slam down on the passenger side. This one HURT! Bruises, sore muscles, twisted my wrist, banged up my elbow and shoulder. It took some time to get me out and climbing out of this one was a challenge. It took several people to assist my exit, I am very grateful for all their help.

436696 e089768d5babee16880f22e0d62480dc

3rd Flop:

Not my brightest moment... 10 days post abdominal surgery. I will fully admit I had no business being in a buggy. Poor judgement on my part. But I love it and really, really wanted to be out there. This flop was on our local trails, where I had never flopped before. Once the flop happened. It took over an hour to right it again. I was stuck inside the buggy the whole time. Unable to get out, unable to help right it, because of being limited by my surgery. I was unable to hoist myself out the opposite door, as there are no places to step inside a flopped P5 to assist climbing out. My rear rack setup does not allow we to climb out the rear window, and being fully down does not allow the windshield or roof to be removed. So hanging out inside was my only option. An option I was not happy with because I could not assist in "righting my wrong."

436698 1682ea6427e94b29102524bb41796a57436699 91309c6099ca0ae63875a7fe0548abae

4th Flop:

This was fully down flop on a hump. TheGreenGoat, Red500, JayPro and Futzin were able to right me enough, and provide counter weight to drive on up the hump and out.

443489 b82eb2d05ac5087ab3731db8d341e9ab

443488 1bf3cea6921c307b0e1f5c28a485f3d1
443490 10d52aaac7bba823c236080f8e393f62

MORAL OF THE STORY:

How do you plan to exit your P5 if any of these happens? Do you have a plan?

Last edited:
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
KyGal83 ‍🩹
Good food for thought. Just like how to get out of a plane crash.

Even though I have a basic, advanced and assistant instructor dive certification and can breath hold for over 5 min... Turning over in deep water, thoughts, keep me out of that situation.

Thank you for posting the info AND the pics. I'm glad you didn't get seriously injured and continue on with the Spirit of Adventure

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Your getting there kid - keep up the good work.

2016 takeover   top of the world
20230429 112729
20240323 152643
Picture1
Stuck in a rut
VideoCapture 20240326 092815
IMG 0726
20230429 112758

EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am becoming the queen of the P5 flop... starting to rival Lee with those. If you trail ride a P5 it is inevitable and unavoidable... at some point you will flop it. I recently had another flop that put me in a precarious situation, and had me asking myself....

Do I know where all my exits are? How quickly can I get out of this thing?

For several years.. (several of you can attest to this.) I was terrified of flopping my P5 over. I was worried I would get hurt, or hurt my P5. I did not know what to expect, how to get out. Which meant I did not push it to better my driving skills. Now I have had several flops that range in severity. Not all flops are the same. So if you haven't flopped one, here are some scenarios I have experienced and maybe can help others to be prepared. Of course there is the number one solution.... Don't flop! But where is the fun if you don't push your comfort level a little.

1st Flop:

This one was basically a nothing of flop on to an embankment and wasn't fully on my side. It was more of a bad tilt. This one did not require me to exit or even unbuckle. (That is not usually the case.) SmittyP & Futzin were able to right me in a matter of a minute and on we went.

View attachment 444345

2nd Flop:

Fully down. Came around a corner too fast to slick ruts, got cross threaded on them and did a front tire pirouette to a slam down on the passenger side. This one HURT! Bruises, sore muscles, twisted my wrist, banged up my elbow and shoulder. It took some time to get me out and climbing out of this one was a challenge. It took several people to assist my exit, I am very grateful for all their help.

View attachment 444346

3rd Flop:

Not my brightest moment... 10 days post abdominal surgery. I will fully admit I had no business being in a buggy. Poor judgement on my part. But I love it and really, really wanted to be out there. This flop was on our local trails, where I had never flopped before. Once the flop happened. It took over an hour to right it again. I was stuck inside the buggy the whole time. Unable to get out, unable to help right it, because of being limited by my surgery. I was unable to hoist myself out the opposite door, as there are no places to step inside a flopped P5 to assist climbing out. My rear rack setup does not allow we to climb out the rear window, and being fully down does not allow the windshield or roof to be removed. So hanging out inside was my only option. An option I was not happy with because I could not assist in "righting my wrong."

View attachment 444347View attachment 444348

4th Flop:

This was fully down flop on a hump. TheGreenGoat, Red500, JayPro and Futzin were able to right me enough, and provide counter weight to drive on up the hump and out.

View attachment 444349

View attachment 444350
View attachment 444351

MORAL OF THE STORY:

How do you plan to exit your P5 if any of these happens? Do you have a plan?
This was an interesting evening.
IMG 2999

KyGal83

KyGal83

KGB, SNS, Duchess Sheldon, Ms. Daisy, Natasha
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
This was an interesting evening.
View attachment 444387
That was a great day! One of my favorites.. I wasn’t even stopped before J80 was radioing that I was stuck again. I will never forget Katie kneeling in from the passenger side “Hey, How’s it going? You know you can’t park here?”

That was one heck of a day!!

advertisement
EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That was a great day! One of my favorites.. I wasn’t even stopped before J80 was radioing that I was stuck again. I will never forget Katie kneeling in from the passenger side “Hey, How’s it going? You know you can’t park here?”

That was one heck of a day!!
That was a fun day for sure!
IMG 4875

advertisement