Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Think my buddy in Decatur has a dyno. Pretty sure he bought it from my drag race buddy in Florence. 3 vs 5 is almost 200# difference. Plus all the add-ons joey has is probably another 200+ lbs. So to pick up 1 sec 0-40 and match a rig that's 20% lighter takes some serious increase plus a new machine vs a very used one. Most gas tuners don't really pick up much unless a bunch of mods and custom tune. Honda's known for being on the lean side but ignition timing could make a big difference also. African twin is 20 more HP on the same platform with a lot of same parts. Dyno is the only way to know but so far it sounds like a pretty good increase.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No argument from me. I don't have easy access to a dyno but the ass dyno says it's better. My fathers stock 3 seater used to be a lot quicker and now they are dead even, and the clock from 0-40 says it's better.

I know it's still not quantified in HP but it's quantified in what matters to me.

Btw, where are you in west KY? I work in Mayfield quite often and maybe we could arrange something.
Remember I told you next best thing to a dyno is running another vehicle, preferably one that's faster. You gotta have an experienced tuner on a dyno or you'll end up with crappy results. A good one won't tune for max numbers on the dyno. It'll actually be a little on the fat side. Can't simulate the fresh air inside a cell.

Reactions: joeymt33
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Joey drug me everytime. On average he was about 1 bike length to 50 mph. Don't think the tuner made a real big difference in total hp. The major difference was the response off idle and stabbing the throttle. His is a lot more responsive down low. It makes a big difference when your stopped in 4wd and need to get the tires spinning especially if you are in mud. I'm sure there's more potential up top with more tuning. I'm definitely ordering one. Probably better for the clutch too getting the rpm up quicker. The drag race wasn't completely fair because of Joeys add-ons. But we have a good baseline. Plus his pickup from stock was quite a bit.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'll get a video up soon of one race. I'm sure my vehicle is a little heavier than his but not a lot. We thought the aero drag was the killer for me on the top end. I could easily pull away until we got to 40mph. I removed the front windshield and that kept him from reeling me back in.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Maybe not too far off because the 999cc engine is capable of much more. Also, my snorkel breathes ALOT better than stock and the exhaust tip works with the tuner.

Snuff said his felt weaker with the addition of his snorkel. That may be true because they run so lean. I noted a big difference in heat from the seat, it a lot less than compared to stock.

What are you referring to when you list the exhaust tip?
Have you drilled holes in the inside of your muffler or just removed the screen?

I am with you 1BadDart piggy back tuners aren't the most effective way to make power comparing them to a ECM re flash if I hadn't installed my Power Commander already I would take you up on your offer, maybe I should take it off and send it to you. :)

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What are you referring to when you list the exhaust tip?
Have you drilled holes in the inside of your muffler or just removed the screen?

I am with you 1BadDart piggy back tuners aren't the most effective way to make power comparing them to a ECM re flash if I hadn't installed my Power Commander already I would take you up on your offer, maybe I should take it off and send it to you. :)

We didn't drill holes in the muffler, we just replaced the exhaust tip with a bigger outlet.

It would be nice if someone can reflash these and do even more modifications like speedometer corrections. However, it sure is nice to open the laptop and and make ignition or fuel adjustments in 10 minutes with out paying for another reflash and delivering the vehicle.

Reactions: GPR1500SC and sharp
advertisement
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Order

@joeymt33 I'm taking you out!

Reactions: joeymt33 and sharp
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe not too far off because the 999cc engine is capable of much more. Also, my snorkel breathes ALOT better than stock and the exhaust tip works with the tuner.

Snuff said his felt weaker with the addition of his snorkel. That may be true because they run so lean. I noted a big difference in heat from the seat, it a lot less than compared to stock.
What exhaust tip you running. And can you run the fuel and ignition control without the auto tune?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What exhaust tip you running. And can you run the fuel and ignition control without the auto tune?

I'm running a homemade exhaust tip and you can fully control the ignition and fuel without the auto tune.

The good thing about auto tune is it will monitor the air to fuel ratio and make adjustments to meet that target. Without autotune, you can adjust fuel and ignition but you're not really sure what your actual AFR is.

advertisement