ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Might try having the dealer initialize the EPS. Kinda like the guys that reported different assist levels left vs right and a little "pulling" one way of the other. It might be a little off and allowing the unit to apply full power up against the stop. That would get 'er to heat up quick!

Best idea posted yet

Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sep 9, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's been a few that have posted a couple of good suggestions.

1. Batteries topped off. Trickle charger, but if he uses each day probably not the issue.
2. EPS motor connection. If your a water rider or high pressure washer user may have resistance in connection. Resistance(ohms) across the electric motor is probably what is used to kick out EPS and not a thermal switch. Pull it apart use air to blow it out check for corrosion apply a bit of dielectric grease. This maybe your problem, I'd check this and once this is done and still not fixed it points to 3.
3. EPS out of specs. Excessive resistance in motor circuit kicking out EPS. Fix = replacement.

Get her fixed and good luck

Hawkeye

Reactions: JTW and knuckledeep
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve had mine act like it couldn’t keep up with the steering movement and the assist was lagging until I slowed the steering wheel movement.

Reactions: knuckledeep
L

Longshot

Aug 20, 2017
Northern WI
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Full turn like holding it on the locks?

+1
Since there is no pump if it doesn't cut the power at the stops it just deadheads the motor which will build heat incredibly fast. Maybe Honda thought with the thermal sensor built in it doesn't need stop cutouts, probably cheaper to build that way. JMO

Reactions: knuckledeep and JTW
D

Deanb

Mar 26, 2016
Stonyplain
So Dad has had an issue with his PK5.. when he’s driving slow and at full turn going around a tree or thru a ditch. He will loose power steering going back the other way. He took his in to the dealer this week for a couple issues and a final service before warranty is out and the mechanic told him that the power steering was normal and was a safety feature to keep the pump from burning out???? So before I call bulls***, I figured I should ask you all.

@Hondasxs @lee @JACKAL @CumminsPusher @Neohio @joeymt33 @knuckledeep @HondaTech
Is there another dealer around. Does not sound right

Reactions: knuckledeep
D

Duke4nick

Sep 23, 2017
Pheba ms
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have owned Honda's since 1979 and never had an issue. I bought a pioneer 700-4 last year. I will say this. They are junk. From here on it will be a Polaris. Honda should have stayed out of the sxs business. That's my two cents.

J

JTW

I have owned Honda's since 1979 and never had an issue. I bought a pioneer 700-4 last year. I will say this. They are junk. From here on it will be a Polaris. Honda should have stayed out of the sxs business. That's my two cents.
Do they get in your way or cause you much problem???? Because I think your nuts are loose!

advertisement
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4

What kind of problems are you having? How many miles do you have on it? Why poolaris? Why not a Yami? If you are truly unhappy, then sell it and move on. Let us know what you get!