P1000 PK5 power steering

J

JTW

So Dad has had an issue with his PK5.. when he’s driving slow and at full turn going around a tree or thru a ditch. He will loose power steering going back the other way. He took his in to the dealer this week for a couple issues and a final service before warranty is out and the mechanic told him that the power steering was normal and was a safety feature to keep the pump from burning out???? So before I call bulls***, I figured I should ask you all.

@Hondasxs @lee @JACKAL @CumminsPusher @Neohio @joeymt33 @knuckledeep @HondaTech

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it is a safety feature.....
One would think it would be the same on your 1000. Hop in yours and see if you can replicate the issue.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So Dad has had an issue with his PK5.. when he’s driving slow and at full turn going around a tree or thru a ditch. He will loose power steering going back the other way. He took his in to the dealer this week for a couple issues and a final service before warranty is out and the mechanic told him that the power steering was normal and was a safety feature to keep the pump from burning out???? So before I call bulls***, I figured I should ask you all.

@Hondasxs @lee @JACKAL @CumminsPusher @Neohio @joeymt33 @knuckledeep @HondaTech

I think there is a safety feature for that but you’d think it’d take more than a trip around a tree or through a ditch to trigger it.

I’m curious I’m gonna try for you when I get home.

J

JTW

If it is a safety feature.....
One would think it would be the same on your 1000. Hop in yours and see if you can replicate the issue.
Can’t right now..

D0254642 6802 407D AC61 37A31F902611

advertisement
J

JTW

I think there is a safety feature for that but you’d think it’d take more than a trip around a tree or through a ditch to trigger it.

I’m curious I’m gonna try for you when I get home.
He said he’s just barely creeping along at full turn when it’s happened. I assume it shuts off and he only notices it when he goes to turn back.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe voltage drop? It’s electric so if it’s low battery and he’s pushing the assist it could be to low a voltage to power it and it cuts out?

J

JTW

Maybe voltage drop? It’s electric so if it’s low battery and he’s pushing the assist it could be to low a voltage to power it and it cuts out?
He has a dual battery system.. but I wonder if his stock battery isn’t on the weak side? He rides it every day so it stays charged.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the system is going into shutdown according to the snip I posted, I would be concerned that the EPS unit is on it's way out the door.

advertisement