Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been seriously considering a soft top to keep rain out until aftermarket catches up with a reasonably priced hard top. Will the soft tops hold up on the trailer at interstate speeds? (75-80mph).

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Personally, I think you would be asking for trouble. Even though its only $180 its still a lot of money to throw away.
Take a few mins and roll it up to one side before towing at high speeds.

I just bought one myself. Had one on the 700 also. Never traveled with it except rolled up to one side.

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Personally, I think you would be asking for trouble. Even though its only $180 its still a lot of money to throw away.
Take a few mins and roll it up to one side before towing at high speeds.

I just bought one myself. Had one on the 700 also. Never traveled with it except rolled up to one side.
That is a great idea that never occurred to me lol. I didn't know how easy they are to remove or install. Total utv newbie here. I remember talking with one of my techs just a few months ago saying I'd never spend that much on something to thrash off-road lol. Never say never.

Reactions: Cacherivercat
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I checked out the link provided for installation and thought i read somewhere Hondasxs does not use the rods when using the canopy. It does raise the height of the roof how does it perform with out the rods?

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The front rod that goes side to side on my P1000-5 appears to be located incorrectly. When I snap on the fiberglass rod clamps where I can, it puts the front fiberglass rod in a contorted position. It's almost like the guides that were sewn into the roof are in the wrong place. Anyone else have this same issue?

Other than that, the wife and kids enjoyed getting out of the sun on our ride last weekend. It's definitely nice if you stop anywhere in the sun for long.

Waylan

Reactions: Eltobgi
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'm also thinking about the Bimini top. Not really crazy about looks, but it can be installed in moments and keep you dry during a ride and then packed away just as easily. For temporary use I give it a thumbs up!

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anybody have pics without the fiberglass poles? Just wondering how tight/loose it is without.

Waylan

advertisement
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'm also thinking about the Bimini top. Not really crazy about looks, but it can be installed in moments and keep you dry during a ride and then packed away just as easily. For temporary use I give it a thumbs up!
Update:
Found a new Bimini top on eBay with parts missing:eek: they were asking $130, I bid $80 and it was accepted. Should be in on Wednesday. I'm guessing I have something in my garage which will take the place of the missing parts.;)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since I learned from HondaSxS to run my canopy with out cross bars I love the soft top even more.
Reasons:
1. Could never find a hard roof that was both lightweight and flat.
2. I like no roof on beutiful summer days.
3. No roof means less heat and noise on nice days.
4.I decided to fasten mine permanent on the back bar over tailgate and then just unhook front and mid ties and my son or wife help me roll it tight all the way to the back and fasten whole thing with velcro straps. I like how it looks that way.
5.I can now trailer rolled or unrolled upto 60 comfortably as before the cross bars flop out and wear holes in the fabric every time.

Cheers!

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
@Stauvo ...so I know it has rods and clamps, but what other parts come with it that may be missingo_O Also, like your idea of permanently fastening it to back bar. Do you have a picture of what you've doneo_O

Reactions: Stauvo
J

JTW

Since I learned from HondaSxS to run my canopy with out cross bars I love the soft top even more.
Reasons:
1. Could never find a hard roof that was both lightweight and flat.
2. I like no roof on beutiful summer days.
3. No roof means less heat and noise on nice days.
4.I decided to fasten mine permanent on the back bar over tailgate and then just unhook front and mid ties and my son or wife help me roll it tight all the way to the back and fasten whole thing with velcro straps. I like how it looks that way.
5.I can now trailer rolled or unrolled upto 60 comfortably as before the cross bars flop out and wear holes in the fabric every time.

Cheers!
I'm kinda torn myself... my 500 got dramatically louder when I added the roof and windshield. I'm going with a 1000 but can't decide on my roof windshield comb. Like you, I like the open but a roof is. I've sometimes. Wonder why we couldn't just cut a piece of Lexan? It would be the open feel of no roof but have cover of a full roof

Reactions: Eltobgi
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'm kinda torn myself... my 500 got dramatically louder when I added the roof and windshield. I'm going with a 1000 but can't decide on my roof windshield comb. Like you, I like the open but a roof is. I've sometimes. Wonder why we couldn't just cut a piece of Lexan? It would be the open feel of no roof but have cover of a full roof
I'm sure we will see that mod before too long! This forum has some very creative members;)

Reactions: JTW
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I used 1/4 plastic and 4 Honda claps ,no reason you couldn't do it with clear plastic WIN 20161009 164343 I bowed the top so the only place it touches the rollcage is at the clamps,no vibration of any type by doing this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eltobgi and JTW
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Stauvo ...so I know it has rods and clamps, but what other parts come with it that may be missingo_O Also, like your idea of permanently fastening it to back bar. Do you have a picture of what you've doneo_O
So sorry for being absent here! I will wroll it back and show someclose ups for you in a little while. Just got home from church.

advertisement