Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
So a pinched o ring could be the culprit? I've put 400 miles on it since the clutch update with no problems . Any thoughts why it suddenly wont start in gear now?
The brake light switch might need adjusted if it will not crank in gear. Can push harder on the brake and try again.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can start mine in gear as long as the foot is on the break. Only in park can my foot be off the break and I start it.
Can't say I have ever tried to start in gear.
I assumed it would have a neutral switch

Reactions: BWAF
YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
After further investigation I found out the light comes on as soon as it shifts to 2nd gear, regardless of rpms. So it looks like the clutch update is the likely problem. Pretty sure the linkage needs adjusted too. Can't get it to the dealer untill next weekend, hopefully it's a simple fix and I have it back in time for Macks Pines.

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine started acting similar to what your are talking about and it ended badly my oil pickup was plugged with clutch crud from the clutch discs
and it spun a rod bearing it was covered under warrenty but it took 3 months to get it back I would say a bad job on the clutch update imo

Reactions: Ragnar406 and BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine never has started in gear????
I plan to investigate this next time I am near my machine.
There has been many time I stopped to talk to someone and shut it off in gear to listen. Never has it started in gear. Always has to go back to neutral or park.
I did adjust my brake light switch when I first got my machine. I set it so they light after a little pressure is applied.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine will after clutch update with my foot on the brake.
Well, I checked mine. In gear with FOOT on BRAKE ..... it did start. Never thought of putting my foot on the brake in order to start. My age is showing from a time when you just turned the key to start, regardless of shift lever .... lol

Reactions: pct and BWAF
advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I checked mine. In gear with FOOT on BRAKE ..... it did start. Never thought of putting my foot on the brake in order to start. My age is showing from a time when you just turned the key to start, regardless of shift lever .... lol

I opened my car door today to pick up junk advert out of driveway and my company car went to park on its own, also goes to park when you turn ignition off. The machines will be taking over soon.

YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got my rig back and running like new again. I bought it from Honda of Russellville and they did the clutch update. They told me they had a three week backlog (normal response) when I called and told them the problem after the update. Bought three new rigs from them and other items over the last 10 years and was hoping customer loyalty might give me a step up. No luck. Called Heartland Honda in Springdale and they really gave me service after the sale, even though they didn't originally sell the rig to me. Dropped it off on Saturday and was told it might be a week before they could get to it. Was out of state for work and got a call from them 4 days later that my rig was fixed and ready to pick up at anytime. I appreciate how fast they got to it, diagnosed and fixed the problem. Also they showed etiquette by fixing a problem created by another dealer, but never called them out on it to make themselves look better, just simply took care of the problem. When I got there today they just said we found it, we fixed it, give us 10 minutes to wash it and you'll be on your way. Heartland Honda of Springdale has class and just gained a new customer.

Last edited:
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got my rig back and running like new again. I bought it from Honda of Russellville and they did the clutch update. They told me they had a three week backlog (normal response) when I called and told them the problem after the update. Bought three new rigs from them and other items over the last 10 years and was hoping customer loyalty might give me a step up. No luck. Called Heartland Honda in Springdale and they really gave me service after the sale, even though they didn't originally sell the rig to me. Dropped it off on Saturday and was told it might be a week before they could get to it. Was out of state for work and got a call from them 4 days later that my rig was fixed and ready to pick up at anytime. I appreciate how fast they got to it, diagnosed and fixed the problem. Also they showed etiquette by fixing a problem created by another dealer, but never called them out on it to make themselves look better, just simply took care of the problem. When I got there today they just said we found it, we fixed it, give us 10 minutes to wash it and you'll be on your way. Heartland Honda of Springdale has class and just gained a new customer.
Those guys have always been great with me. That is where I bought mine and have had it serviced. Kelyan in the service department is a great guy to deal with. I am glad they got you hooked up. Did they say what the issue was?

YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Those guys have always been great with me. That is where I bought mine and have had it serviced. Kelyan in the service department is a great guy to deal with. I am glad they got you hooked up. Did they say what the issue was?
The two guys that took care of me was Jacob don't remember his last name, and Kole Killion. This is what the work order says.

Found brown/white wire terminal to be loose in 2nd clutch connector. Terminal lock tap missing. Replaced/repinned connector.
Replace subharness 2nd clutch connector
File straight line (harness 1st 3) 899

They also did the exhaust upgrade for me as a surprise. When I got it back from Honda of Russellville it was sluggish and slid into each shift, now it has a more positive shift.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The two guys that took care of me was Jacob don't remember his last name, and Kole Killion. This is what the work order says.

Found brown/white wire terminal to be loose in 2nd clutch connector. Terminal lock tap missing. Replaced/repinned connector.
Replace subharness 2nd clutch connector
File straight line (harness 1st 3) 899

They also did the exhaust upgrade for me as a surprise. When I got it back from Honda of Russellville it was sluggish and slid into each shift, now it has a more positive shift.
Did they have to tear into it for the o-ring? Or was it purely a wiring issue?

Reactions: pct and BWAF
YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did they have to tear into it for the o-ring? Or was it purely a wiring issue?
Originally they were thinking o ring. But when they replaced the missing tap and pin, and damaged subharness it fixed the problem so no need to dig deeper.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Originally they were thinking o ring. But when they replaced the missing tap and pin, and damaged subharness it fixed the problem so no need to dig deeper.
Be good to see you at Mack's

Reactions: YardDog and BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You too. I plan on getting there as early as I can. Might go on a recon and check a few trails out.
Let me know how early, been waiting for an excuse to show up early

advertisement