Nonresident ID license plate process

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For those of you that have done this what was the process and do you now have an ID title for your unit?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't tell you how the process works for an out of stater, but the states recent changes have been a real pain. It used to be a nonresident was fine as long as they were registered in their state, but then the state figured they were loosing money and was going to make everyone get an Idaho sticker. They have changed it completely were we can no longer go to our local DMV for the sticker. You still have to use the DMV for the plate, but have to used the parks and rec deptarment for the sticker. I guess this is progress. I recently renued my kids Polaris ATV for the year. When the paperwork came, she now owns a Polaris Predator 90 that is 17' long with a 60Hp outboard motor. I guess if she wants to take it on the water she should be good. I wish you luck, but one good think I have heard are the ladies from the Parks and Rec are very helpful and nice.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah doesn’t say much, is there a form, do you pay sales tax, do you receive an ID title, I used the Google box and tried calling Ada’s dmv but was put on hold and then hung up on, lol, hence the question for those that have done it.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I only scanned the link but I think the answer is none of the above.

I never heard of a state that will allow a non-resident to title their vehicle. If it was allowed, every vehicle in the US would be titled in OR which has no sales tax.

My take is the State of ID will allow a non-resident a temporary registration sticker if paying a fee and registering with the state. That allows ID to collect a fee, lets them know who is operating a buggy on their turf, and provides a way to track that person down if they want to.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I only scanned the link but I think the answer is none of the above.

I never heard of a state that will allow a non-resident to title their vehicle. If it was allowed, every vehicle in the US would be titled in OR which has no sales tax.

My take is the State of ID will allow a non-resident a temporary registration sticker if paying a fee and registering with the state. That allows ID to collect a fee, lets them know who is operating a buggy on their turf, and provides a way to track that person down if they want to.

Wrong. You can title / register a vehicle in South Dakota or New Hampshire no matter wher you live. There may be others. I have done several over the years while living in Commiefornia, Florida and we now live in Tennessee and my P1000 is plated in SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
How did you do that?

According to this brief summary of state requirements a non-resident is NOT ALLOWED to register a motor chicle in New Hampshire or South Dakota.

I didn't review the entire list but I don't think any state allows a non-resident to register and title a motor vehicle.

I know it's possible for a person could probably falsely claim residence by using someone else's address but it would not be legal.

Some retirees who are full-time rv travelers use a mail service in SD but even though they don't have a permanent home addresss they claim residence and vote in SD.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Unless SD has recently changed their law, they will issue a title and a plate to out of state residents. I have two of three friends here that have them.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did you do that?

According to this brief summary of state requirements a non-resident is NOT ALLOWED to register a motor chicle in New Hampshire or South Dakota.

I didn't review the entire list but I don't think any state allows a non-resident to register and title a motor vehicle.

I know it's possible for a person could probably falsely claim residence by using someone else's address but it would not be legal.

Some retirees who are full-time rv travelers use a mail service in SD but even though they don't have a permanent home addresss they claim residence and vote in SD.

If it’s on the internet, it must be true.......don’t believe everything.

All I can tell you is that it is possible and legal. My 2016 P1000 has be registered in SD since I bought it and renewed every year since. I went thru Union County Registers office. Nice lady there helped me.

Check out the SD website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Barlow, why do you keep posting misinformation. If you don’t know for sure, why spread crap. It’s well known that SD will issue a title and plate. it’s been written about dozens of times on this site alone.
My next door neighbor did it with his RZR so he could ride on the streets in Utah. We live in Colorado.

Reactions: Randy6911
advertisement
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I did a little more searching and discovered that South Dakota law does not specifically prohibit registration and titles issued to non-residents. It's an intentional loophole that SD legislators ignore. It allows legal residents of other states to illegally skate around the laws of their home states to avoid legal fees, taxes, and vehicle inspection requirements of their own home states but it diverts millions of dollars into SD's coffers.

The Drive South Dakota Has Made Millions From Out-of-State Car Registrations
By Rob Stumpf, The Drive 6/26/2020
\
The first step you must take after buying a new-to-you car in the United States is registering it with your local department of motor vehicles. This process earmarks the vehicle to an owner and is necessary to score a license plate needed to traverse public roads. While most people do this in the state they reside in, others find loopholes to register their vehicles in other states to save thousands on taxes, forego local inspection and emissions requirements, and a handful of other reasons.
© Provided by The Drive The first step you must take after buying a new-to-you car in the United States is registering it with your local department of motor vehicles. This process earmarks the vehicle to an owner and is necessary to score a license plate needed to traverse public roads. While most people do this in the state they […]
One of the hottest states for those looking to sneak around regulations and extra expenses is South Dakota. For whatever reason, the Mount Rushmore State, like Montana and others, has become a bit of a safe haven for those looking to skirt their home states' regulations.

According to a 2018 report by the Rapid City Journal, when an expatriate named Aldis Barsketis emigrated from the United States to Mexico, he noticed there was an astounding number of cars sporting South Dakota tags. Surely there couldn't be that many people from the Mount Rushmore State on vacation at the same time, right?

As it turns out, Barsketis was onto something. After doing a bit of research, he found a loophole that permitted him to register his vehicle in Clay County while living in Mexico. It didn't take long before he shared his secret with the world, even though he couldn't point out Clay County on a map. Clay County Treasurer Cathi Powell estimated that up to 90 percent of nonresident registrations may be linked to other non-residents and expats residing out of state and even out of the country.
Despite the initial investigation taking place in 2018, the practice is very much so alive and well today. One of the most popular places for out-of-state buyers to flock is, in fact, South Dakota. The DMV's mail-in process for vehicle registration has attracted thousands of automobile owners to register their wheels in the state. As of 2018, there were 58,334 out-of-state vehicles registered with the Department of Revenue's Motor Vehicle division which represent nearly five percent of all 1.2 million vehicles currently titled in South Dakota.

For example, some of these Ferrari 488 Pistas and a variety of Lamborghinis have been spotted cruising around in Mexico with South Dakota and Montana license plates recently.

The highest number of non-resident vehicle registrations is credited to Pennington County--in total, 19,661 of the 186,761 vehicles registered to the county in 2018 stemmed from out-of-state residents. The second highest, Clay County, had just 7,241 registrations during the same time; however, that represented more than one-fourth of all vehicles registered in the county. The practice is so popular that there are even companies with the sole purpose of facilitating out-of-state vehicle registrations in South Dakota.
Though we find it hard to believe, the report claims that there isn't an exact figure that shows how much extra money the South Dakota Department of Revenue has earned from this practice, as the registration fee varies based on vehicle age, type, and weight class. Apparently accounting software and Microsoft Excel haven't reached South Dakota yet.
That said, when the Rapid City Journal reached out to the department in 2018, it "estimated" an annual take of nearly $7 million. The Drive reached out to the South Dakota Department of Revenue to see how this number has fluctuated since 2018 but did not receive a response at the time of writing.

And while this represents financial success for South Dakota, one can't help but wonder how much money other states are losing. Some states like California are poised to lose hundreds of dollars per vehicle if its residents register the vehicle outside of their home state.

So is this an extravagant workaround that benefits the people, or an unethical loophole being used as a revenue generator? Either way, it's a method people have used to register tens of thousands of vehicles, and that's no small feat.

Not mentioned in this is the fact that a vehicle registered in SD while owned by a legal resident of another state the registration is not legal in the owner's home state. Every state requires it's citizens to register their vehicles in their home state - even SD.

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
For those of you that have done this what was the process and do you now have an ID title for your unit?
I have helped a few with this from this site.

Check out Clay County or Pennington County SD Treasurers websites.

All you have to do is call them and they will walk you thru it.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I have helped a few with this from this site.

Check out Clay County or Pennington County SD Treasurers websites.

All you have to do is call them and they will walk you thru it.

@CID Did you ever get yours squared away?

Reactions: EMAW and DrShotgun
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Barlow, why do you keep posting misinformation. If you don’t know for sure, why spread crap. It’s well known that SD will issue a title and plate. it’s been written about dozens of times on this site alone.
My next door neighbor did it with his RZR so he could ride on the streets in Utah. We live in Colorado.

I make statements based on facts that can be proven by the links to state statutes or other authoritative sources. If, in the process. I learn that my understanding was incorrect I post the facts and a correction.

I've been around many of these websites for many years. Trucks, rv's, motorcycles, and more. I've run across many folks who post opinions and back them up with bs like "my brother-in-law's buddy said . . . "

Anecdotal tales about a friend, relative, or neighbor are not proof of anything.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I did a little more searching and discovered that South Dakota law does not specifically prohibit registration and titles issued to non-residents. It's an intentional loophole that SD legislators ignore. It allows legal residents of other states to illegally skate around the laws of their home states to avoid legal fees, taxes, and vehicle inspection requirements of their own home states but it diverts millions of dollars into SD's coffers.

The Drive South Dakota Has Made Millions From Out-of-State Car Registrations
By Rob Stumpf, The Drive 6/26/2020
\
The first step you must take after buying a new-to-you car in the United States is registering it with your local department of motor vehicles. This process earmarks the vehicle to an owner and is necessary to score a license plate needed to traverse public roads. While most people do this in the state they reside in, others find loopholes to register their vehicles in other states to save thousands on taxes, forego local inspection and emissions requirements, and a handful of other reasons.
© Provided by The Drive The first step you must take after buying a new-to-you car in the United States is registering it with your local department of motor vehicles. This process earmarks the vehicle to an owner and is necessary to score a license plate needed to traverse public roads. While most people do this in the state they […]
One of the hottest states for those looking to sneak around regulations and extra expenses is South Dakota. For whatever reason, the Mount Rushmore State, like Montana and others, has become a bit of a safe haven for those looking to skirt their home states' regulations.

According to a 2018 report by the Rapid City Journal, when an expatriate named Aldis Barsketis emigrated from the United States to Mexico, he noticed there was an astounding number of cars sporting South Dakota tags. Surely there couldn't be that many people from the Mount Rushmore State on vacation at the same time, right?

As it turns out, Barsketis was onto something. After doing a bit of research, he found a loophole that permitted him to register his vehicle in Clay County while living in Mexico. It didn't take long before he shared his secret with the world, even though he couldn't point out Clay County on a map. Clay County Treasurer Cathi Powell estimated that up to 90 percent of nonresident registrations may be linked to other non-residents and expats residing out of state and even out of the country.
Despite the initial investigation taking place in 2018, the practice is very much so alive and well today. One of the most popular places for out-of-state buyers to flock is, in fact, South Dakota. The DMV's mail-in process for vehicle registration has attracted thousands of automobile owners to register their wheels in the state. As of 2018, there were 58,334 out-of-state vehicles registered with the Department of Revenue's Motor Vehicle division which represent nearly five percent of all 1.2 million vehicles currently titled in South Dakota.

For example, some of these Ferrari 488 Pistas and a variety of Lamborghinis have been spotted cruising around in Mexico with South Dakota and Montana license plates recently.

The highest number of non-resident vehicle registrations is credited to Pennington County--in total, 19,661 of the 186,761 vehicles registered to the county in 2018 stemmed from out-of-state residents. The second highest, Clay County, had just 7,241 registrations during the same time; however, that represented more than one-fourth of all vehicles registered in the county. The practice is so popular that there are even companies with the sole purpose of facilitating out-of-state vehicle registrations in South Dakota.
Though we find it hard to believe, the report claims that there isn't an exact figure that shows how much extra money the South Dakota Department of Revenue has earned from this practice, as the registration fee varies based on vehicle age, type, and weight class. Apparently accounting software and Microsoft Excel haven't reached South Dakota yet.
That said, when the Rapid City Journal reached out to the department in 2018, it "estimated" an annual take of nearly $7 million. The Drive reached out to the South Dakota Department of Revenue to see how this number has fluctuated since 2018 but did not receive a response at the time of writing.

And while this represents financial success for South Dakota, one can't help but wonder how much money other states are losing. Some states like California are poised to lose hundreds of dollars per vehicle if its residents register the vehicle outside of their home state.

So is this an extravagant workaround that benefits the people, or an unethical loophole being used as a revenue generator? Either way, it's a method people have used to register tens of thousands of vehicles, and that's no small feat.

Not mentioned in this is the fact that a vehicle registered in SD while owned by a legal resident of another state the registration is not legal in the owner's home state. Every state requires it's citizens to register their vehicles in their home state - even SD.

View attachment 269384
Not following the issue...

Also it’s not the State making money, it’s a handful of counties in the State of SD that allow it / profit from it.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Not following the issue...

Also it’s not the State making money, it’s a handful of counties in the State of SD that allow it / profit from it.
The state legislature is not innocent. If they didn't want it to continue they would pass a law that prohibits it. Regisstration fees are always divided between county and state.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
The state legislature is not innocent. If they didn't want it to continue they would pass a law that prohibits it. Regisstration fees are always divided between county and state.
Again, your point is?

Why would they do that? It’s not even remotely in their interest to do so.

In case you haven’t noticed , SD doesn’t put much stock in pointless laws.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV

View attachment 269384
This is utter BS as proven here before. SD doesn’t require it’s resident to register their vehicles in SD....period. We don’t give a crap. What is required is that your STATE ID is changed if you take residence in the State of SD. You have 30 days to do so once you move.

Your vehicles can remain registered where ever you like.

You seem bent on making a case that titling your vehicle in another state is illegal... but continue to fail to show it is?

Half baked/opinion articles don’t count either.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Last edited:
Reactions: BigOL3
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
SUMMARY: New South Dakota Residents
Once you become a resident of South Dakota, you'll need to visit your local DMV office and obtain a SD driver's license/ID card and register your car. You will need to provide various documents and payment for the applicable fees. As a new resident, you may wish to register to vote and register as an organ donor.
I’m a resident of Oklahoma and I have a Pioneer 1000 registered and plated in South Dakota, a Pioneer 1000 registered and Plated in Idaho and a Talon registered and plated in Idaho...

advertisement