P1000 Need Front Shock Loan

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone have a single front shock from a 1000 I can borrow for a little while? I have a close friend who is tied to the Offroad racing industry in California and they said they would hand build me some coilovers if I had a shock to send them so they could get all the specs off of it. They don't work on UTV's much at all mainly trucks/jeeps. I didn't want to have a huge downtime so I was hoping someone who had done a shock upgrade already could loan me a single front shock and I will give it back as soon as the R&D is complete.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
You didn't ask my opinion but... If you make the shock about 3/4" - 1" longer you get the added benefit of a lift. Following that logic you would want to consider all 4 shocks.

I have the 700 and changing the shocks netted me 2.5" lift.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The fronts for sure. They need more spring and dampening. The stock rears are ok unless your jumping things. The main thing the rear shock needs is more rebound dampening. I swapped all 4 at one time so I don't have any experience on just doing the fronts.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
If you go longer on the shock, remove it and go full droop and measure between shock mounts. My Elkas were stock length and my bottom shock mount was about 3/4" below the shock. The bind of the axle joint is what limits droop without the shock. So you can't go much longer without possible hurting the CV. With the coil overs, it's easy to add some preload to lift it.

Reactions: joeymt33 and nbomar
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
PM me an address and which ones and I'll send them out.

Reactions: sharp
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Everyone that does fronts usually wants rears soon after. While this custom set is being built just do all 4. I know people do it, but I just don't see how you can pair a set of high performance shocks in the front with low performance stockers in the rear. All four shocks work together to determine the ride, the key being they work together . To me it's like having a high performance mud tire up front and wagon wheels in the rear! Just my opinion not that you asked.

On the other hand, I have no experience with only doing a front swap, and people that do it seem to like it. I just feel like they are cheating themselves out of how good their ride could be.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Everyone that does fronts usually wants rears soon after. While this custom set is being built just do all 4. I know people do it, but I just don't see how you can pair a set of high performance shocks in the front with low performance stockers in the rear. All four shocks work together to determine the ride, the key being they work together . To me it's like having a high performance mud tire up front and wagon wheels in the rear! Just my opinion not that you asked.

On the other hand, I have no experience with only doing a front swap, and people that do it seem to like it. I just feel like they are cheating themselves out of how good their ride could be.
I'm with you man... I just ordered shocks and went for all four. I'm hoping it meets my expectations which are pretty high. we'll see.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm with you man... I just ordered shocks and went for all four. I'm hoping it meets my expectations which are pretty high. we'll see.
Which stage did you go?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Reactions: PioneerPete
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wasn't interested in the light weight racing thing, but I liked the control these shocks give you. they have slow and fast damping adjustment and spring pre tensioning.
plus the dual rate springs

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I wasn't interested in the light weight racing thing, but I liked the control these shocks give you. they have slow and fast damping adjustment and spring pre tensioning.

I'm thinking I'd get consumed by adjusting lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm thinking I'd get consumed by adjusting lol.

they got detailed weights for my specific set up... after market bumper, winch, and rear payload, plus my weight and number of passengers (typically). I'm hoping they are dialed in pretty close, and all I have to do is make minor adjustments. but if I install the highlifter kit, then that all goes out the window...

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
they got detailed weights for my specific set up... after market bumper, winch, and rear payload, plus my weight and number of passengers (typically). I'm hoping they are dialed in pretty close, and all I have to do is make minor adjustments. but if I install the highlifter kit, then that all goes out the window...

I'm sure it's been said but what's the raise amount with those?

advertisement