Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
For storage we did the packout plate and it works really well, no regrets.
Ditto.

Also added a kemimoto bag between the seats, seems to be working well for small items.
Ditto. I added this one, likely the same one

The new doors have lots of storage but things get lost in there and get really dirty. Thinking of picking up some small dry bags for those areas.

I added two small Kemimoto bags that Velcro strap to the ROPS under the roof behind your head (driver and passenger side.

I also added two more Goldfire bags that mount behind the rear window on the ROPS.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X

4. Talon R

5. Talon R LV
You can override the automatic feature with your paddles by upshifting and downshifting. Also, installing a good tune definitely straightens out the shifting of a stock machine. I have PPEI on both of mine.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
@Scoop Do the goldfire bags work with a prefilter?
No issues.

(I did move the GMRS antenna after this pic was taken)

20240729 204211 20240729 204216

Last edited:
JayPo

JayPo

Somewhat Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 15, 2020
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Front mudbusters are installed. They're not the prettiest things but not terribly ugly either. Hopefully they'll work good.

They sent the wrong brackets for the rears so I have to wait for those to arrive.

Indiana SxS

Indiana SxS

Jan 2, 2019
Madison Indiana
indianasxs.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Did you say storage? Here is what I did in the back I Don’t use a single strap. Then door bags and center seat bag as well.

IMG 7899
IMG 4193
IMG 4517
IMG 3077

Here are my thoughts of the Talon after 200 miles. Remember I am coming from a Yamaha 850 with 28" tires and a lot of these comments may be relative to what I'm used to.

At Windrock, we did some pretty nice rock climbs, some rutted out muddy trails, some gravel roads, a little black top, and lots of general trails. We did not do any black trails (I don't think) so mostly blue. The Talon never struggled and handled every obstacle with no issues. I was impressed how easily it climbed over fairly good sized rocks. I was also surprised at how well the ITP Terra Hooks worked on all of the varied terrain including mud.

I rode about 50% in auto and 50% in manual mode. I'm not sure I really like the auto shifting mode. Much of the time it wasn't in the gear I thought it should be in and I found myself either hitting the paddle shifters, blipping the throttle, or slowing down to get the transmission to shift to the gear I wanted. Manual mode however was awesome. I have missed the manual shifting from my P500 days so I really enjoyed the manual mode. I wish the Talon would not default back to auto mode every time the engine is turned on.

I wasn't sure I wanted the Talon R or X prior to purchasing my R. I have always liked the thinner machines and their agility and tight turning. But driving the R this weekend I never really noticed how wide it is (mine is at 70") and it went through tight trails with no issues.

Picking lines with this thing was almost not necessary (at least on the trails we were on). I could pretty much just point it straight and it would go over whatever was in front of me. The larger tires, wider width, and greater ground clearance (from my Yamaha) made a big difference.

I am not impressed with the gearing of the Low range. It feels like it should be geared much lower.

I think I'll add 1.5" seat risers to both seats. My wife is short and has a hard time seeing over the SuperATV flip up windshield as the lower portion of the windshield is right in here line of sight. And adding the risers to my seat will give me a little more legroom.

Storage, both in the cab and in back, is very limited. We have got to figure out a storage solution. My hacked up system this weekend of tying my storage boxes and cooler down in the back was very inconvenient and kinda sketchy. I do, however, want to give a shout out to the $2 bungee cord designed to hold the lid of a kleenex box closed. This bungee cord held my cooler in the back the entire weekend and never gave up. I'm pretty sure I'll bite the bullet and do the packout system for the bed and then add some bags on the doors and under the roof for some more cab storage.

My Talon ha a terrible rattle from the exhaust system at 2800 to 3500 RPM. The rattle has seemed to have gotten progressively worse. I can get the rattle to stop by holding the pipe that goes into the muffler really tight so it doesn't vibrate. But I cannot figure out where exactly it is coming from. I removed the heat shield over this pipe and it did not help. I've check most of the bolts, heat shields, and clamps and everything looks good. I may have to take it back to the dealer to get this fixed as I'm don't really want to take the entire exhaust system apart to find the problem since it's under warranty.

Here's a few pics because POIDH:
View attachment 438608
View attachment 438609
View attachment 438610
View attachment 438946
View attachment 438613

Indiana SxS

Indiana SxS

Jan 2, 2019
Madison Indiana
indianasxs.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
They aren’t ugly in my opinion I been running them since 21 and they keep the crap off you. Ran them on a rzr from 18 to 21 as well. Great company.

IMG 8194
IMG 8195

Front mudbusters are installed. They're not the prettiest things but not terribly ugly either. Hopefully they'll work good.

They sent the wrong brackets for the rears so I have to wait for those to arrive.
View attachment 439185

JayPo

JayPo

Lifetime Member
Aug 15, 2020
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
They aren’t ugly in my opinion I been running them since 21 and they keep the crap off you. Ran them on a rzr from 18 to 21 as well. Great company.

View attachment 439634
View attachment 439635
The correct hardware for the rear mudbusters should be in today so hopefully I can get those installed. I'm glad they work good for you. Hopefully mine will do the same.

advertisement
JayPo

JayPo

Lifetime Member
Aug 15, 2020
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Indiana SxS

Indiana SxS

Jan 2, 2019
Madison Indiana
indianasxs.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Dirt Road Fabrication. I had them customize it a bit to my liking. I had the fuel bracket centered on the outside. Then instead of metal bars going across the floor on the extended part I had them weld a grill to bolt the cooler bracket down to hold the cooler in place. Two clicks and the cooler comes out. The extended bed also opens and closes.

IMG 3314

Your storage system is very similar to what my ultimate goal is. What bed extender do you have?

JayPo

JayPo

Lifetime Member
Aug 15, 2020
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Got a Milwaukee Packout Mount and hacked it all up then mostly bolted it down. I think it'll work. Now I have to decide what packout boxes to buy and how to organize everything.

JayPo

JayPo

Lifetime Member
Aug 15, 2020
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
The supposedly correct hardware for my mudbusters arrived the other day. 2 of the 6 brackets they sent are still the wrong ones. Called them and they are sending hopefully the correct brackets and throwing in a t-shirt for my troubles.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The supposedly correct hardware for my mudbusters arrived the other day. 2 of the 6 brackets they sent are still the wrong ones. Called them and they are sending hopefully the correct brackets and throwing in a t-shirt for my troubles.
🤔....does this T-shirt also come with a SXS?

......asking for a friend

advertisement