Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
The part I hate is it's a Honda failing. We always stayed close to camp on popo and wasn't till the 700 we'd venture out. The 1000 I'm nervous. It's not just the clutches in mine. I think some are like this and are more prone to going out. We get 3-400 on a set that's it. That's not normal. In all truth I'd expect under hard driving should be 2-4000 maybe easier driving 5-10000. I don't think that's going to be seen wit a vast number of machines.

Is it that they are failing? Or is it there just hasn't been a corrective solution implementation at the speed of Internet complaints. The guy that has no problems is out riding posts 10 times, the guy pissed with a busted machine for 2-3 months posts 500 times. That's what makes so many new owners nervous. They read all the b****ing without considering the happy owners are out riding and don't post much for fear of jinxing themselves, or being called Kool aid drinkers etc. Heaven forbid there be a happy medium online.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I still it that they are failing? Or is it there just hasn't been a corrective solution implementation at the speed of Internet complaints. The guy that has no problems is out riding posts 10 times, the guy pissed with a busted machine for 2-3 months posts 500 times. That's what makes so many new owners nervous. They read all the b****ing without considering the happy owners are out riding and don't post much for fear of jinxing themselves, or being called Kool aid drinkers etc. Heaven forbid there be a happy medium online.
I definitely don't think the numbers of machines like ours is a huge number but it's frustrating. I'm sure you feel the same way. My previous machine was a beast! You remember my post from Xmas last year pushing that snow. It was different. A clutch isn't too big a deal to change and can be done in under an hour. I still believe in this system I'm sure I've conveyed that I still hate belts. And Honda well what can I say everything I own is Honda and don't plan on leaving the brand but truly hoping a fix comes for this rig. I'm sure by now it's apparent how much I love it as the amount of time invested in it should show. I want to go back to riding and not b****ing! I do feel Honda is looking into it but sometimes feel abandoned while replacing parts. Still have faith and I'm still modding if that shows anything.

J

JTW

So here's a question... could the initial oil changes have an effect on how the system will perform? I'm over 100 miles but haven't reached 20 hours yet. My plan was to go to 20 hours.. but if there is s*** in the oil causing wear wouldn't one be better off getting it out sooner than later. And could that be part of the issue and where some are experiencing issues and others not? Also, are there any late year model owners that have or are having any issues? Is this just a random early production model problem? My dealer says they haven't had any issues since they started selling them. And there have been a lot in this part of the world. I get that those with issues are a the loudest voice but my concern is if it actually affects us all but doesn't come on until down the road.. like @Eltobgi

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So here's a question... could the initial oil changes have an effect on how the system will perform? I'm over 100 miles but haven't reached 20 hours yet. My plan was to go to 20 hours.. but if there is s*** in the oil causing wear wouldn't one be better off getting it out sooner than later. And could that be part of the issue and where some are experiencing issues and others not? Also, are there any late year model owners that have or are having any issues? Is this just a random early production model problem? My dealer says they haven't had any issues since they started selling them. And there have been a lot in this part of the world. I get that those with issues are a the loudest voice but my concern is if it actually affects us all but doesn't come on until down the road.. like @Eltobgi

I wish I had more answers then questions! I do know some though. Like I said I've had two totally different machines. I've done a fair share of clutches and I believe I understand more then some because of it but none of us are on top of everything. One thing I know is that some will have problems and some won't. Some people that are experiencing problems are tearing them up and some of us aren't.
Oil changes are critical I believe in this machine because of the shared components and should be done on a timely fashion. I don't believe oil choice makes a difference but I am running gn4.
At some point even a normal machine with a good driver will require clutches it is a wear item but should outlive a belt drastically. Some of us aren't experiencing that longevity and I'm not 100% why but have expressed some of my thoughts to why. My suggestion has always been to just drive it. Try to stay away from situations you know will be tough. Honda is taking care of most and even though I've been upset still believe they are looking into things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As for oil changes, I hit 20 hours at 88 miles. I changed the oil all around. I look at it as an either/or proposition.

J

JTW

As for oil changes, I hit 20 hours at 88 miles. I changed the oil all around. I look at it as an either/or proposition.
I'll be closer to 200 miles at 20.. I'm waiting just so I can be sure I've given everything ample time to stretch and break in. Dealer is an hour away and pretty solidly booked so I don't want to be running back and forth for something stupid.

My buddy was told by the mechanic at our dealer to wait until his had the hours before bringing it to him.

advertisement
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll be closer to 200 miles at 20.. I'm waiting just so I can be sure I've given everything ample time to stretch and break in. Dealer is an hour away and pretty solidly booked so I don't want to be running back and forth for something stupid.
The reason I look at it the way I do is because I look at it like a machine. Most machines go on hourly intervals but the can be worked hard but not necessarily have a lot of miles on them. I tend to do a lot of high rpm/low speed-miles driving.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

My buddy was told by the mechanic at our dealer to wait until his had the hours before bringing it to him.
I drove mine home from the dealership (120 miles) and changed it immediately and perform other maintenance as listed. I believe in driving it "like you stole it" but also in proper maintenance!

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I was told the same thing about going by hours instead of miles. I had about 250 miles by the time I hit 20 hrs. I'm just shy of 1000 miles now and so far so good. I hope that I don't have any clutch issues but I'm not going to let worrying about it stop me from enjoying it. Hopefully if I have issue they will be covered...If not I'll take care of it myself.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is it that they are failing? Or is it there just hasn't been a corrective solution implementation at the speed of Internet complaints. The guy that has no problems is out riding posts 10 times, the guy pissed with a busted machine for 2-3 months posts 500 times. That's what makes so many new owners nervous. They read all the b****ing without considering the happy owners are out riding and don't post much for fear of jinxing themselves, or being called Kool aid drinkers etc. Heaven forbid there be a happy medium online.
The dealer I go to is the second largest in the nation, so I talked to the service manager and told him about people on here worried about clutches going out. He couldn't understand why people worry about them, I asked him howmany they have worked on,he said probably 3 or 4 since the p1k came out, and they sell a lot of p1k at that dealer. Then I asked him about warranty on the clutch he told me that if they come in it is all a case by case basis, and the ones that they fixed were all covered by warranty. Then I asked him what else has he seen come in for service on the p1k, he said they have worked on several with water injestion from people trying to go through too deep of water.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do not know nothing 100% but I assure you my conversations with salesmen are limited to what I will pay. Information on the machines I rely on come from a highly credible source that benefits in no way from telling me anything, other than occasionally quelling uninformed opinions being passed as fact.
maybe if this source, or Honda were more forthcoming with information, there wouldn't be so many uninformed opinions being passed around.
I asked if you thought the 17 would be more reliable, you said yes. I asked why, you said nothing.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
maybe if this source, or Honda were more forthcoming with information, there wouldn't be so many uninformed opinions being passed around.
I asked if you thought the 17 would be more reliable, you said yes. I asked why, you said nothing.

Even if a source existed it's the internet and someone would claim they lost their emails because they were hacked by Russia.

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
My dealer has sold over a hundred and has 4 returned for new clutches. I think the failure rate is only a couple of percent so far. I am sure some are manufacturing defects, others are abuse, and some are that this clutch system is not the best in a heavy UTV. I wonder if the African twins are experiencing clutch problems?

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There used to be a thread that contained a spreadsheet type list of all reported owners with clutch failure. What ever happened to that? If many are experiencing failure, that would seem to be a valuable resource for all concerned. I think if I had read all of this, I would not have bought one. And I will say that mine is solid and I do everything I had expected to do with it. I haul heavy loads of wood up and down pretty steep rocky and muddy hill sides, I cruise super slowly around my wood land trails (95% of the time in High), and I have pulled the hell out of some pretty heavy trailers and equipment. And to tell y'all how slowly they can be run. I have 670 miles in 170 hours. If my math is correct that is an average under 5 MPH. If my clutches fail, I will jump out here and tell everyone, but my machine is smooth and strong. I do believe there is a best way to break them in, but that is just another opinion.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
There used to be a thread that contained a spreadsheet type list of all reported owners with clutch failure. What ever happened to that? If many are experiencing failure, that would seem to be a valuable resource for all concerned. I think if I had read all of this, I would not have bought one. And I will say that mine is solid and I do everything I had expected to do with it. I haul heavy loads of wood up and down pretty steep rocky and muddy hill sides, I cruise super slowly around my wood land trails (95% of the time in High), and I have pulled the hell out of some pretty heavy trailers and equipment. And to tell y'all how slowly they can be run. I have 670 miles in 170 hours. If my math is correct that is an average under 5 MPH. If my clutches fail, I will jump out here and tell everyone, but my machine is smooth and strong. I do believe there is a best way to break them in, but that is just another opinion.

Most have that luck with the machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.